95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Best headllamp for a 99 runner?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TexanTaco
Sweeeet!! I'm gonna do this tonight.

I replaced the stock headlight bulbs with Silverstars so I've really wanted to disable the DRL function. Thanks again!

*Edit: Do I need to add the switch or could I just cut the #1 wire and leave it at that? And what would be a good way to cover up the exposed wire if I cut it? I would like something more permanent than electrical tape.
Heat shrink?

Fink
Old 07-16-2008, 04:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
where did everyone get their PIAA exteme whites?

Is there a link to a 99 runner DRL mod?

thanks , kenny S>
Old 07-16-2008, 05:58 PM

www.eautoworks.com has PIAA bulbs
Old 07-16-2008, 07:46 PM

Question about the extreme Whites.......

How blue is the light?
The description of the extreme whites plus mentions a blue tint.
I need bright light for the road at night so I can see snakes.
Old 07-16-2008, 08:57 PM

HID's are the way to go IMO. Here in Canada they are not illegal. The early ones that came out around 2001-2002 or so were garbage. They have since come a long way to have proper placement in relation to a halogen bulb as well as better focus than the old ones. I have them in my 2006 Tundra and have done H4 housing conversions on both of my 87 4runners with no issues whatsoever. I did also aim them properly which most people don't do. I personally will not go back to halogen bulbs after driving with hid's!
Old 07-17-2008, 04:36 AM

Anyone got a Do it yourself method of aiming headlights?
Thanks, Kenny S>
Old 07-17-2008, 04:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sharrack
Thanks, Kenny S>
Aiming Lights - http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/aim/aim.html

To disable DRLs on '99-'00 4Runners, just unplug the connector from the DRL box. This box is located in the engine bay, mounted on the fender down by the battery. Unplug it, cover up the connections so debris does not get in and you're good to go. To disable drls on '01-'02 4Runners is completely different.

EDIT: PIAA Intense whites are not that blue at all...more white than anything. Hence their name. The picture I attached earlier is a good illustration of them in action. Now the PIAA Xteme whites I cannot comment on. I have never run them.

I bought my Intense White bulbs hereabout 2yrs ago for $50: these

Last edited by Rock Slide; 07-17-2008 at 05:17 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:59 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks, Kenny S>
Here's a good write-up.

Fink

Last edited by Fink; 07-17-2008 at 05:01 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:03 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4x4Fink
Park in front of a garage door about 50 feet away. Aim the driver side so that it is about level with the height of the headlights. Some people mess with the horizontal aiming (this I have never done). Then aim the passenger lamp so that it is about 2 inches lower than the driver side.

We do not have inspections here so this is what I do.

You may need to get more detailed, if that's the case, here's a good write-up.

Fink

Or, the way I've always been told to do it - Park 25ft away from a wall with the vehicle sitting on a flat surface. With your lights on, the beam on the wall should be 2 inches lower than that of your actual headlights. Measure from the center of your headlights to the ground and then take the measurement and measure the beam on the wall to the ground. Just make sure the beam on the wall measures 2 inches less than that of the 1st measurement and that's it.

In the end, mine and Fink's method returns the same results. Just from less distance

Last edited by Rock Slide; 07-17-2008 at 05:06 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:06 AM
Contributing Member

As for bulbs, these are looking like the ones I will get next.

Cheaper than the Xtreme's and looks like they might be a little brighter according to their wattage.

I haven't even looked up what type of bulb these new Tacoma's take yet...I'm such a nOOb.

Fink
Old 07-17-2008, 05:07 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Or, the way I've always been told to do it - Park 25ft away from a wall with the vehicle sitting on a flat surface. With your lights on, the beam on the wall should be 2 inches lower than that of your actual headlights. Measure from the center of your headlights to the ground and then take the measurement and measure the beam on the wall to the ground. Just make sure the beam on the wall measures 2 inches less than that of the 1st measurement and that's it.

In the end, mine and Fink's method returns the same results. Just from less distance
I took my description out because I wasn't sure if I remembered it correctly.

Rock Slide is on top of things though!

Fink
Old 07-17-2008, 05:12 AM
Contributing Member

As for bulbs, these are looking like the ones I will get next.

Cheaper than the Xtreme's and looks like they might be a little brighter according to their wattage.

I haven't even looked up what type of bulb these new Tacoma's take yet...I'm such a nOOb.

Fink
I'm glad you posted that link, b/c those are the actual bulbs I was running! I was not running the Xtreme whites, but rather the PIAA Intense Whites. Geez, I feel like a nOOb now...When I said I paid $50 for the Xtemes, I knew something was wrong...

Long story short, every one disregard everything I have said about my personal experience with the Xteme Whites...The picture I posted earlier was with the Intense Whites - link. These are the bulbs I have been running for the past 2yr years. I'm going to correct my other posts now. Noob out.

Last edited by Rock Slide; 07-17-2008 at 05:13 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 05:14 AM
Contributing Member

I'm glad you posted that link, b/c those are the actual bulbs I was running! I was not running the Xtreme whites, but rather the PIAA Intense Whites. Geez, I feel like a nOOb now...When I said I paid $50 for the Xtemes, I knew something was wrong...

Long story short, every one disregard everything I have said about my personal experience with the Xteme Whites...The picture I posted earlier was with the Intense Whites - link. These are the bulbs I have been running for the past 2yr years. I'm going to correct my other posts now. Noob out.
I was thinking to myself, "I know gas prices are going up, but why the crap would bulbs be that much more expensive?!"

Sweet, sounds like I picked a good set of bulbs then!

Fink
Old 07-17-2008, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

I was thinking to myself, "I know gas prices are going up, but why the crap would bulbs be that much more expensive?!"

Sweet, sounds like I picked a good set of bulbs then!

Fink
I would have never realized it unless you posted that link with the actual picture of the bulb in it...as soon as I saw that, I knew I had been describing the wrong bulb this entire time

Yes the PIAA Intense Whites are a good upgrade. I've really enjoyed mine.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:00 AM

No need to add a switch unless you just want to. I did not add one.

As far as covering up the exposed cuts, well, that's up to you. Everybody has their own methods. Can't think of anything exact off the top of my head, but you could always stop by your local hardware store and see what you can find.
Ok good, I don't think I will add the switch either. I was looking for the DRL harness last night but I wasn't sure I had the right one?? Is it the harness that plugs into the little black box with "Aisin" on it? I will look again this evening but I just want to make sure I have the correct one.

Fink, I have some shrink wrap in the garage somewhere, that's a good suggestion! And then I could add some electrical tape for good measure.
Old 07-17-2008, 06:01 AM

don't forget after aiming yer lights,
to park at the end of a big parking lot with lights on

and then walk all the way to the other side, then walk back and verify
that you aren't blinding anyone or have bogus bright spots anywhere
Old 07-17-2008, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

Ok good, I don't think I will add the switch either. I was looking for the DRL harness last night but I wasn't sure I had the right one?? Is it the harness that plugs into the little black box with "Aisin" on it?

Fink, I have some shrink wrap in the garage somewhere, that's a good suggestion! And then I could add some electrical tape for good measure.
As far as finding the right module, I can't remember what wording was on it, but what you are describing, sounds like it. I wouldn't think you would have a lot of little black boxes with harnesses pluging into them, but I could be wrong .

Here's a quote from Lou in the thread I posted earlier for you. It should help you locate the right module:

Tip: If you do this, take the knee panel off, and remove the vent behind the knee panel, then remove DRL relay by backing out an obvious 10mm bolt. Once the relay is dangling, it's easy to pull the plug, and semi-easy to cut/solder wires. Battery disconnected during all, of course.

Oh and shrink wrap's a good idea to cover up the exposed cut wires. Heck, after you wrap it with that and electrical tape, you could always throw a zip tie on for good measure.

Good luck!

Last edited by Rock Slide; 07-17-2008 at 10:09 AM.
Old 07-17-2008, 11:20 AM

As far as finding the right module, I can't remember what wording was on it, but what you are describing, sounds like it. I wouldn't think you would have a lot of little black boxes with harnesses pluging into them, but I could be wrong .

Here's a quote from Lou in the thread I posted earlier for you. It should help you locate the right module:

Tip: If you do this, take the knee panel off, and remove the vent behind the knee panel, then remove DRL relay by backing out an obvious 10mm bolt. Once the relay is dangling, it's easy to pull the plug, and semi-easy to cut/solder wires. Battery disconnected during all, of course.

Oh and shrink wrap's a good idea to cover up the exposed cut wires. Heck, after you wrap it with that and electrical tape, you could always throw a zip tie on for good measure.

Good luck!
Yep I think it's the right harness, the box has "Aisin - Relay Assy - Running Light" written on it. I think the part that was confusing me is you don't really need to remove the knee panel to get to this box, it's easy to reach. I also wasn't sure what he meant by removing the vent?

I love the idea about using some zip ties to complete the job! Thanks Rock Slide for the help!
Old 07-17-2008, 12:46 PM
Contributing Member

Yep I think it's the right harness, the box has "Aisin - Relay Assy - Running Light" written on it. I think the part that was confusing me is you don't really need to remove the knee panel to get to this box, it's easy to reach. I also wasn't sure what he meant by removing the vent?

I love the idea about using some zip ties to complete the job! Thanks Rock Slide for the help!
Ah, that should be it then if it says "Running Light" on it.

Never having actually looked for a drl module in a Taco, I could only assume Lou knew what he was describing. But with what you've just said, I could see how his description could be confusing.
Old 07-17-2008, 01:53 PM

Ah, that should be it then if it says "Running Light" on it.

Never having actually looked for a drl module in a Taco, I could only assume Lou knew what he was describing. But with what you've just said, I could see how his description could be confusing.
It is kinda obvious isn't it?!

And I'm sure the confusion was all on my part! LOL

Quick Reply: Best headllamp for a 99 runner?