Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

backup/scene lights

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
backup/scene lights

Hey guys, I want to mount a set of bargain prices fog beams on my hitch to assist me in reverse since my truck has heavy tint . My question is where do I wire them in to come on with the reverse lights?
Old 01-03-2003, 10:18 PM

I have foggies and driving lights up front, but they have relays, so I wired them to switches. On the back, I put some old Honda reverse lights. They have regular bulbs, (no relay) so I wired them up to the stock reverse wires and grounded them. They all light up in reverse. Maybe someone knows how to wire into the reverse circut with the relay.
butnut
Old 01-04-2003, 08:00 AM

As you can see here I have installed some extra reverse lights behind the rear screen so that they don't get damaged.

I ran a new wire from the fuse box to the rear of the truck, then fitted a relay which is triggered of the back of the rear light cluster.

I also ran another wire down at the same time so that I could switch them on independently.

If you want I could take some more pix tommorrow of the switches etc. Also let me know if you want a wiring diagram.

Kerr
Old 01-04-2003, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Kerrs looks good. Like your personalised plate. Where's the top of your rear bumper at?? I wanted to add lights like Butnut did but they would get ripped off faster than.... well pretty fast. For now I just back up blindly into oblivion. Anyone else notice how hard it is to see behind a runner when manuevering in tight spots?
Old 01-04-2003, 08:40 AM

The top of the bumper was off for cleaning / repairing after a days off roading.

Its back on now but a bit damaged.

Can you get any better ones, like Aluminium or Stainless Steel?

Kerr
Old 01-04-2003, 08:54 AM
Contributing Member

I have never seen anything else before. I have the same POS plastic thing on mine too.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:11 PM
Contributing Member

I like your pic under your screen name. Did you make it out of that hole without help?
Old 01-04-2003, 05:51 PM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey Kerrs, I mounted my lights inside like you did, but couldn't get rid of the glare reflected from the window. With the window down the light still leaked out the sides of the lenses but it was much better. Do you have this problem too?

I eventually moved my lights to the top of the factory roof rack. They work a lot better now and I would recommend mounting the lights up as high as possible.

I don't have a relay, just a 30amp switch that came with the lights. Eventually, I'll get a relay and 3 way switch that will allow me to turn them on with the backup lights, or manually.

Steve
Old 01-04-2003, 08:23 PM

Has anyone tried to cut holes in the rear bumber to mount lights. I was thinking about doing this idea. This way the lights wont get damaged from a steep approach.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

I don't know but you guys better think of something, because right now my tint is too dark too and i'm kinda having a hard time seeing stuff, so any ideas from this post would help. i'm not comfortable with making a hole in my bumper though.
Old 01-05-2003, 02:08 AM

Originally posted by FireFighter
Has anyone tried to cut holes in the rear bumber to mount lights. I was thinking about doing this idea. This way the lights wont get damaged from a steep approach.
I saw a 2nd gen on ODW a long time ago with rectangle halogen reverse lights cut/fitted into his rear bumper. Looked trick and clean. The bumper material is pretty thin. That would be sweet...got me thinking now...
Old 01-05-2003, 03:10 AM

On my truck I have two red refectors fitted in the back bumber, I was thinking of removing these and fitting in the lights.

Still might have damge problems though.

Kerr
Old 01-06-2003, 08:28 AM
Contributing Member

I found this pic on a Hilux Forum here in the UK. He used an angle grinder with a cutting blade, marked the size out and went to town on it. The lights are fog lights we are required to have that came off an Acura Intergra. I am sure this same procedure could be done for some spots to use as auxillary backup lights. Only problem is getting up the nerve to bore holes in the rear bumper.
Old 01-07-2003, 08:39 AM

I was thinking about mounting a set on top pf the rear axel i have seen some very small sopt lights that would do the trick any one have any thiughts?
Old 01-07-2003, 08:55 AM

Originally posted by sleepy1405
I don't know but you guys better think of something, because right now my tint is too dark too and i'm kinda having a hard time seeing stuff, so any ideas from this post would help. i'm not comfortable with making a hole in my bumper though.
I have the same problem and am trying to figure out what to do right now

Old 01-07-2003, 09:46 AM

Re: backup/scene lights

Originally posted by 96_First_Responder
Hey guys, I want to mount a set of bargain prices fog beams on my hitch to assist me in reverse since my truck has heavy tint . My question is where do I wire them in to come on with the reverse lights?
OK... trying to remember here... *think think think* ...

behind the driver's side kick panel there is a green/white striped wire. Tap into that and they should come on with your reverse lights. It's been a while since I did this, so strip a small section of the wire and test it to make sure I'm remembering correctly before you put everything back together.

=============
== EDIT ==
=============

˟˟˟˟... just noticed you have a 94. I saw the 96 in your screen name and assumed you were driving a 96. The green and what was in my 96, so look for one and test it first... not sure what the wiring is like in a 94. FWIW... if you can find someone helpful at a local car audio shop, they should be able to look at a wiring diagram of your rig and tell you which wire you need. I had a buddy at Circuit City get a wiring diagram for me.

Last edited by jacksonpt; 01-07-2003 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-07-2003, 12:06 PM

Looking at that link UKMyers posted. IMO i think this would be an easy mod to do.Choose the style light you want - cut the hole - then add some rubber channel molding around the hole. This would clean up the cut you just made in the bumper. Also i have seen some lights that have a wide rubber molding around them already. Cut them to fit then snap/push into place.

http://www.superiorsignals.com/illuminator/illum16.html

http://www.buytruckstuff.com/product...y=23&p_gpID=78

http://www.rustrepair.com/app2/onlin...i-lamp-la.sttg
Old 01-07-2003, 07:22 PM
CTB

Can this be as simple as connecting the power wire to the existing reverse lights wire, and then grounding the other wire from a set of aftermarket bulbs? If it was this simple, I may attempt this project sooner than I had been planning too...
Old 01-08-2003, 09:42 AM
CTB

bump to top
Old 01-08-2003, 11:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Link to Taillights

Firefighter, the last link shows taillights. I tried to link to the right area and it didn't work for me either. You need to use the controls they provided on the page for it to navigate properly...FWIW

Last edited by Cebby; 01-08-2003 at 11:05 AM.

Quick Reply: backup/scene lights