Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anyone interested in a rear tire carrier

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 09:14 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
At the moment, I've got my 285 strapped down in the back, but it takes up a bunch of room- not much space for groceries in the back. I'm tempted to ride around without a spare in-town, and only throw the spare in when doing trail rides. I can patch most punctures, so it'd have to be a serious blow-out for me not to be able to repair the tire. Having to move the tire out of the way every time to get in the hatch seems like a real pain....
Old 12-31-2003, 06:41 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Yep

Originally posted by Mad Chemist
At the moment, I've got my 285 strapped down in the back, but it takes up a bunch of room- not much space for groceries in the back. I'm tempted to ride around without a spare in-town, and only throw the spare in when doing trail rides. I can patch most punctures, so it'd have to be a serious blow-out for me not to be able to repair the tire. Having to move the tire out of the way every time to get in the hatch seems like a real pain....
Moving it out of the way would be a real pain, but I rarely put anything back there as I mostly put stuff in the back seat, so I guess it boils down to personal preference and how you use your cargo area most often.

I too was thinking about riding around town without a spare and just throwing it in for trails, but since I don't put anything else back there either, I figured what the heck.

Old 12-31-2003, 07:35 AM
Contributing Member

Re: Anyone interested in a rear tire carrier

Originally posted by NVRSASTK
I have started building a tire carrier that would simply slide into you rear receiver hitch... I'm working on making it swing down so you can still use you rear window. It has a place on the side for a high lift jack and a water can... Would anyone be intested in this? I'm going to finish it up tonight and will put some pics up. Let me know if you would be intested. Angel of approach is not hurt to much only about 3". They will probably sale for around $150.00. Let me know. Chris
That's a great idea and could work well. I'm thinking about a version that would hold two gerry cans and a hi-lift. I'd keep the spare undernearth - my 32" MTR fits fine. Don't some folks fit 33s underneath as well, even with the receiver?

I wonder if it could be designed so the rear hatch could be opened with a dual-gerry/hi-lift mount attached (but empty)?

i hope you don't mind the chop job:
Old 01-02-2004, 03:37 AM

I'm working a hinge for it.... The problem so far is... The hinge puts a lot of play in the tire. It will hold a high lift and one water can now I just didn't have them on for the picture. I will work on it this weekend and hopefully figure something out.
Old 03-18-2005, 09:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by NVRSASTK
I'm working a hinge for it.... The problem so far is... The hinge puts a lot of play in the tire. It will hold a high lift and one water can now I just didn't have them on for the picture. I will work on it this weekend and hopefully figure something out.
I was searching for something and came across this. I wanted to see if anything more ever came of this idea.
Old 03-19-2005, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

This is what I did awhile back.......I didn't like it for the fact that it was a pain to lift up and down, for someone who rarely lowers there end gate or runs with the top off it would work great, for the price it's definatly a good alternative to a swing away.

http://www.printcraftpress.com/v-web...4runner_corner
http://www.printcraftpress.com/v-web...unner_back_003
Old 06-11-2005, 02:00 PM
Banned

are you still making them?