Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Anyone have a front receiver hitch on their 3rd gen.?

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2002, 09:39 AM
AUJWE

Question Anyone have a front receiver hitch on their 3rd gen.?

I am wanting to put a front receiver hicth on my 2000 4Runner. I know that Dandeman has one that he custom made, but I don't have that option. I have a Manik brush guard(don't bash me)but it "shouldn't" be in the way. Hidden Hicth makes one but it says only for 96-98 4Runners: www.hiddenhitch.com & type in 5030 for the product number search. It shows it mounting to the frame, not same place that my Manik goes(if I remember right from the last time I looked at it). Draw-Tite also makes one, but only for a Tundra or Sequoia. Reese makes one, but only for Tacoma, Tundra, or Sequoia. My question is: Would the Hidden Hicth one work on my 2000? Being that the bumpers are a lot different, I don't know how it would do. What do you guys think? I'm often carrying bikes, canoe, kayaks, & hitch mounted baskets in any combination and it would be nice to be able to put some stuff on the front. Thanks.

~Joey~
Old 06-24-2004, 02:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AUJWE
I am wanting to put a front receiver hicth on my 2000 4Runner. I know that Dandeman has one that he custom made, but I don't have that option. I have a Manik brush guard(don't bash me)but it "shouldn't" be in the way. Hidden Hicth makes one but it says only for 96-98 4Runners: www.hiddenhitch.com & type in 5030 for the product number search. It shows it mounting to the frame, not same place that my Manik goes(if I remember right from the last time I looked at it). Draw-Tite also makes one, but only for a Tundra or Sequoia. Reese makes one, but only for Tacoma, Tundra, or Sequoia. My question is: Would the Hidden Hicth one work on my 2000? Being that the bumpers are a lot different, I don't know how it would do. What do you guys think? I'm often carrying bikes, canoe, kayaks, & hitch mounted baskets in any combination and it would be nice to be able to put some stuff on the front. Thanks.

~Joey~

bump up cause I have the same question. Anyone know ? Have access to a portable rcvr mount winch, be nice to have front and rear mount points for it
Old 06-24-2004, 09:45 PM
Contributing Member

I think you're limited by that fat lip bumper. 96-98 the frame rails go right up the the back of the valence. You might be able to make it work but I think you would have to use a longer hitch that can clear your valence

Last edited by Mossback74; 06-24-2004 at 10:35 PM.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

it's been done, i've seen a picture on it. it was on a fat lip bumper, and the hitch stuck though the valence...
Old 06-26-2004, 04:30 PM
Contributing Member

Cabela's has a front receiver hitch that is part of the Warn Multi-Mount X8000i winch, but the receiver is only listed for '96-'00. I talked to the sales department and they could not tell me if it would fit my '02 or not, but should fit your '00. The part number is: AP-51-0276, order code 687 (Toyota-Tacoma/4Runner,'96-'00) Only downside I see is that if you plan to use as a winch mount, looks like might need some additional bracing for lateral stress, as looks rather suspect strengthwise.
Old 06-26-2004, 07:49 PM

Excellent !

Thanks for the details on finding it at Cabelas
Old 07-01-2004, 10:03 PM
AUJWE

Hey. Great find on the Warn product in Cabelas. This is an old post that I had started 2 years ago but the idea of a front receiver mount has stayed on my mind. I could have used it twice this Summer already on camping trips. I don't know if it would work in my case because I have a brush guard. But, definitely keep us posted if you get it. Let us know becaue I might get you to take some pictures of how/where it mounts. I may be able to make it work. Thanks again.

Joey
Old 07-01-2004, 10:06 PM
AUJWE

Originally Posted by MO-Runner
Cabela's has a front receiver hitch that is part of the Warn Multi-Mount X8000i winch, but the receiver is only listed for '96-'00. I talked to the sales department and they could not tell me if it would fit my '02 or not, but should fit your '00. The part number is: AP-51-0276, order code 687 (Toyota-Tacoma/4Runner,'96-'00) Only downside I see is that if you plan to use as a winch mount, looks like might need some additional bracing for lateral stress, as looks rather suspect strengthwise.
I don't see why it would not fit a 2002. Here is the application chart directly from Warn's site: WARN Actually they only list it fitting a 96-98. Just like the HiddenHitch one.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:16 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Bump...

I've also been tossing around the idea of installing a front hitch specifically for mounting a winch (when needed). Anyone else besides "Dandeman" have any experience on this topic?
Old 05-11-2005, 05:59 PM
AUJWE

No I haven't yet. But since I took my stupid brush guard off of my truck I guess I need to finally try to mount one. Thanks for reminding me!
Old 05-11-2005, 06:13 PM
Contributing Member

Joey,
I was never able to successfully come up with one. I called the manufacturer and they could neither confirm nor deny it fitting a 00+. If you feel froggy, call Joey @ Franklin and he should be able to get the one for the 96-98(Tell him to call AAA Dist)

Later
Old 05-15-2005, 02:25 PM
AUJWE

Originally Posted by terryjmatthew
Joey,
I was never able to successfully come up with one. I called the manufacturer and they could neither confirm nor deny it fitting a 00+. If you feel froggy, call Joey @ Franklin and he should be able to get the one for the 96-98(Tell him to call AAA Dist)

Later

Matt,

I might look into it. I don't see why the one for a 96-98 wouldn't work. I would think that the frame and mounting positions would be the same. Just different looking factory bumpers of course. I think that the bigger front bumper of the 99's+ might make a difference on how it fits and looks. I wish that I could order one from somewhere that would let me return it (and then I would only be out the $$$ it cost to return it) if it didn't fit. Whatcha think?

Joey

P.S. - Thanks for the help and the info.
Old 12-24-2005, 10:57 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hi,

I would like to revive this old thread as I'm planning to get one next year. Did anyone finally installed the warn front mount receiver on a 3rd gen? Will it interfere with the auxilliary ATF cooler? Which is the better one, hidden hitch or warn?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!!

Last edited by KZN185W; 12-24-2005 at 11:02 PM.
Old 12-25-2005, 06:36 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
I think a front receiver hitch is an excellent idea for any wheeled rig, let's you have one hitch w/ a big shackle on it and you can put it front or back w/ a pin in a few seconds...keeps things secure. Good mod IMO. Keep us posted if anyone gets this done on a 3rd gen.

Old 03-07-2006, 08:20 PM

Wanted to revive this yet again, I would not mind cutting my valence to put in a front hitch, was looking at http://www.gowarn.com/detail.asp?product_id=20508&GID= This one from warn, and it looks like it mounts to the recovery points up front. Question is, I am assuming this thing would bolt up, upside down from the picture so that the crossmemebr is in between the frame rails? Ohterwise, this would hang down extremely low. Anybody installed one of these on any 3rd gen? If so, a few pics would be great.
Old 03-08-2006, 04:32 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Here is the hitch people were mentioning earlier in the thread:
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/front-mount-hidden-hitch-32125/

It's the cleanest way I've seen in done.
Old 03-28-2006, 04:16 PM

4Runner SR5 v6 Front end receiver (Draw-tite 65041)

Just ordered the front receiver from etrailer.com
It's spec'd for a 2000-2002 tacoma however I'm hopeful I can make it fit my 2000 (3rd gen.) sr5 v6 runner. I have a technician buddy with welding/cutting equipment in case I have to do some minor mods.

I've also purchased the draw-tite winch carrier (fits 2" x 2" square receivers) and carrying handle kit. The front receiver mounts under and to the outside edges of the frame rails.
(Install directions: http://www.draw-tite.net/pdf/N65041.pdf)

I'll post my progress and photos (if possible) over the next couple weeks.

Does anyone know the width (in inches) measurement between the tacoma frame rails? (Center to Center)

I spoke with techie from WARN and the WARN (multi-mount) receiver measures 29.80" center punch hole to center punch hole. NOTE: They do however say it will fit a '98 4Runner but must be revision #BO (Even the techie didn't know what this meant?...)

my 4runner frame rails are approx. 30" (center to center) ... wish me luck
Old 03-28-2006, 07:06 PM

awesome, would be glad to hear how this turns out, I'm still contemplating one for my runner, I need a front winch, but I havent seem anything that I 100% like yet.
Old 04-30-2006, 07:04 AM

I to am waiting to hear how this turns out. I have done all of the research listed above and have come to all of the same closed doors. Good luck on your project. I am anxious to hear the results.
Old 05-18-2006, 12:04 PM

Front receiver mounted winch

Finally completed...photos and all...(Sorry 'bout the pics, wanted to be thorough for everyone)
I'll start by saying it's straightforward but requires minor cutting, drilling and a little hammering...
IMPORTANT: The following is not intended as instructions or recommendations for modifications to your vehicle. This is simply how I accomplished the installation of a front receiver on my buggy...I did not follow much of the factory installation instructions for this receiver due to the fact the receiver is designed for a 2000 tacoma... I always believed their frames are the same width as the runner (3rd gen. that is), I was right... Draw-tite 65041 front receiver width is exact fit to 2000 4runner...

- I Removed the tow hook and stock tie-downs (I like the tow hook I might keep it for back-end retrievals) tie-downs are kinda useless once hitch is installed...

- Next I removed the existing 2 lower bolts and weld nuts holding front bumper mounting plates to frame. I applied penetrating fluid a couple days prior leading up to mod'. I live in the salt-belt...

- Next cut off these weld nuts (2 on each side). Reason: The receiver does not quite line up with tow-hook/tie-down holes under frame. Out by approx. 1". I resolved this by installing new carriage bolts (rounded head) in reverse direction and hammering/bending lower edge of bumper plate forward a little.

- It was a little tricky hammering the plates, then lifting receiver into position to see if the holes lined up, then hammering some more, lifting receiver and checking, then lifting some more, checking ...etc.

- I also cut some steel (not much) from the receiver to make it extra easy to line up with existing holes for underneith frame rails...
In retrospect, this may not be required as I could have hammered the bumper mount plates more to get the receiver to line up however I wasn't too crazy about hammering/bending these plates...but hey, I've seen some mods for ARB bumpers where guys cut them right off!!! so who knows?...
(I'm pretty sure 3rd gen. /2000 runners use 'inertia sensors' for airbags not impact sensors...but i could be mistaken)

- The vertical plate side of receiver also does not line up with existing side holes in frame rails (Existing holes are also kinda small) but that's o.k. instructions call for enlarging existing holes so drilling is required anyway...

- I bolted the receiver to the under side of the frame rails with the new bolts provided (along w/anti-seize of course!) and torqued to 95ft/lb. (as per instructions)

- *AFTER* lining up the mounting holes on receiver with existing holes on the under side of frame rails and bolting temporarily, I proceeded to drilling 2 new holes (1 passgr side, 1 drv. side) for the side bolts of receiver. The hitch comes with 2 rivet nuts (1 for each side) and should be torqued to 50t/lb. (as per instructions)
As I mentioned, I bolted 2 of the four under side bolts (1 per side) temporarily, marked the location for the new holes in the side frame rails, then removed bolts and receiver to drill the new holes...

- The instructions say existing holes (remember, this receiver is designed for Tacoma) should be enlarged to 11/16". First of all, good luck finding an 11/16" high speed bit..... I used 5/8" ($35 !!!) and wiggled a little to enlarge enough to fit rivet nut into new hole. HOWEVER !!! I tripled checked my location (remember, I drilled 2 NEW holes)

- I started by drilling small hole (say 1/16", then enlarge to 1/8", then enlarge to 1/4" etc. you get the idea, the frame rails are thick steel, I went carefully to ensure the new hold lined up nice with receiver. NOTE: There is some slack horizontally (the hole on the receiver side plate is oval/oblong) but definetely not vertically.

- Next, I installed rivet nuts, applied anti-seize, lifted hitch into position and torqued everything as per instructions (50 ft./lb for side bolts-rivet nuts & 95 ft./lb. for bolts on bottom of frame rails)

- Now I have a front receiver...! HOWEVER, with my winch mounted on winch plate, when I slid the winch & plate into receiver, I could not get the bar inserted far enough to line up with the 5/8" retaining pin hole !!!!!
What the F$#%!!
- The bumper valance/fascia (vinyl covering over bumper) interfere's with winch on mounting plate and prevents bar from being inserted far enough to line up with retaining pin hole (I wanted to use 5/8" hole for more strength)

- Solution: Simple, I drilled four new holes on the winch mount plate as far forward as possible and bingo, I moved the winch further forward on the plate and now the first hole on the mount plate bar lines up beautifully with the 5/8" hole on the receiver...

see pics for more detail...
...reply with questions/comments/criticism...
cannot attach all pics at once, I'll try 3 at a time and create 2 more posts....
Attached Thumbnails Anyone have a front receiver hitch on their 3rd gen.?-step_01a.jpg   Anyone have a front receiver hitch on their 3rd gen.?-step_01b.jpg   Anyone have a front receiver hitch on their 3rd gen.?-step_02.jpg  

Quick Reply: Anyone have a front receiver hitch on their 3rd gen.?