Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Another "New" Performance Mod: The ECT Mod.

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 05:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool mod, talk about thinking out of the box for 4Runner owners.

Dr.Z using your BR-2 have you noticed any changes in your long or short term fuel trim?

Thanks
Old 01-21-2003, 05:35 PM
Away

Originally posted by FattyCBR
Cool mod, talk about thinking out of the box for 4Runner owners.

Dr.Z using your BR-2 have you noticed any changes in your long or short term fuel trim?

Thanks
Yes, I did notice a positive changes in the Long Term Fuel Trim to the tune of about 1-2% depending on how much the ECT mod is tweaked. Short Term seemed unaffected.

Peace.
Dr. Z
Old 01-21-2003, 05:50 PM

I'm confused about how the mod benifits SC'd engines...
Would'nt richening the mix and advancing the timing sort of nullify the ping preventing advantages of this mod?

Last edited by Dashunde; 01-21-2003 at 05:53 PM.
Old 01-21-2003, 07:02 PM
Away

Originally posted by Dashunde
I'm confused about how the mod benifits SC'd engines...
Would'nt richening the mix and advancing the timing sort of nullify the ping preventing advantages of this mod?
The Timing Advance is only at Idle itself and in the Off-Idle region. This definitely helps low-end grunt and small, low-load throttle settings. Above 2000 RPM there is no difference in the amount of Advance. In other words, the mod does not affect Maximum Advance. That is built in to the ECU and you will need to either reprogram the internal chip or install a piggy-back unit to get around that.

I can't say for sure that this will help with ping, but I think it might provide some benefit towards either minimizing or eliminating it.

Dr. Z
Old 01-21-2003, 09:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by mpulver
My '96 is an automatic (with the 3.4L 6 banger).

I haven't seen any issues with it getting into OD using this mod. I'm currently running the mod at Idle = 1050 (temp = 151). I've got some highway driving to do tonight and will play with it then to see if I can stop it from flipping up to OD.
Update...

I had no problem with my rig getting into OD no matter where I set the mod. The range on my install is from 700 RPM/190 ECT to 1332 RPM/124 ECT.

The only thing I noticed is that jamming on the throttle at highway speeds (2200 RPM, 63mph) with the mod fully "cranked" would stop the truck from shifting into passing gear. I wasn't running my BR-2 "live" so I can't mark the point where this started happening.

Side note... The BR-2 is clearly the best $$$ I've spent in a long time. It's quite the tool.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:07 AM
Contributing Member

WOW! Thats a boatload of good info!
Mark and Galen, good job, big props to you both!
Old 01-22-2003, 08:27 AM
Away

Originally posted by loosehead

WOW! Thats a boatload of good info!
Mark and Galen, good job, big props to you both!
You could have installed it in your truck and been part of the Beta Group, but NOOOOOOOOO, you were too busy.

Hehe Just kidding Jayson. Thanks dude.
Dr. Z
Old 01-22-2003, 06:00 PM

Ok, Thanks Dr.Z - Good explaination. And I've thought up a few more questions if you have the time.

How is this mod superior to changing the thermostat to a 160deg? Isnt the result somewhat the same?

Why dont the MFG's run them cooler? Emmissions and/or Milage?

And lastly, can the thermostat change and the ECT mod be used together, maybe for additional help with pinging on a SC'd engine? Could both trip the CheckEngine light or keep it stuck on high idle? (Gadget?)

Thanks!
Old 01-22-2003, 06:12 PM
Away

Originally posted by Dashunde
Ok, Thanks Dr.Z - Good explaination. And I've thought up a few more questions if you have the time.

How is this mod superior to changing the thermostat to a 160deg? Isnt the result somewhat the same?
Well, on a NA Engine, running a colder Thermo without modifying the ECU Programming for Timing and Fuel delivery results in poor fuel economy. On a Forced Induction engine, the lower temp thermo would be the way I would go. But the cost is considerably higher, if that's a concern. The Thermo is about $63 and the ECT mod is less than $10.

Why dont the MFG's run them cooler? Emmissions and/or Milage?
Yep, it's mostly for emmissions and efficiency. Although they could tune them to run cooler. But from what I've read, STOCK NA engines seem to benefit from slightly higher temps with pump gas and the like. If you retune, run headers and high quality gas, then the low temp thermo is a viable option for a nice power boost. What really happens is that you can run more timing advance with less chance of ping.

And lastly, can the thermostat change and the ECT mod be used together, maybe for additional help with pinging on a SC'd engine? Could both trip the CheckEngine light or keep it stuck on high idle? (Gadget?)
I suppose you could, but I don't think I would do that just beause it seems so redundant. I don't know if the CEL would trip either, but it might if your Fuel Trim got really crazy stacking both the Low Temp Thermo and the ECT mod. You cold always try it and just turn off the ECT mod if things got weird.

Thanks!
YW

These Guys have the best price on the TRD Thermo I believe. That's where I bought mine from.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z

Last edited by Dr. Zhivago; 01-22-2003 at 06:15 PM.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:10 AM

Thanks for the info Dr.Z
I picked up my truck Wednesday, but it doesnt have the SC'r on it yet... They wanted me to take delivery before they bolted it on. Guess they didnt want to be hung with it if I backed out... so I've got more waiting to do. Ack!

When I picked the truck up I went through the parts Dept and had them add the thermostat to the SC'r package. I'm hoping that the Tstat is all it needs to be completly ping-free. We'll see...
Thanks agian.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:47 AM

Just wanting on this thread, becuase there's a ton of good info here.

Chris
Old 01-28-2003, 01:00 PM
Contributing Member

Great info!!!
I'm thinking about doing this on my other car. My 4Runner has the TRD thermo, too, so I don't think I'll be adding the ECT mod.

Again, thanks for the great info!
Old 01-28-2003, 01:18 PM

Hey Blue:

Did you notice any differance with the TRD t-stat with regards to performance?? I wanted to know to justify the steep price.

Thanks,

Paul:fireman:
Old 01-28-2003, 01:38 PM
Contributing Member

It feels *slightly* snappier than before. It substantially reduced the pinging issues, especially while using the 9lb pulley.

Pros:
Reduced pinging considerably-almost non-existant even with 9lb s/c pulley
Thermo opens sooner and keeps engine temperature somewhat cooler. Might be a plus when off-road...haven't seen any action since I installed it, though.
Another cool TRD mod to list.

Cons:
Reduced mileage. I lost between .9-1.6 mpg.
$$$-I paid $68 all totaled (including shipping). That's a little more than I would normally care to pay for a thermostat. But, it was a cheaper, easier and albeit sloppier way to reduce or illiminate pinging.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:45 PM

Hey Alan,

Where did you get the 9psi pulley? How long have you had it on? Have you dynoed your truck? I'm wanting to run the same pulley, instead of the 6 psi pulley.

Thanks,

Chris
Old 02-07-2003, 10:19 AM

hi...

great mod...
well im new here..
n i was reading thru the mods... n came accross this ECT mod...
i was wondering if this mod would work on my toyota..
i have a toyota prado 3.4 V6.i dont know if u hav these type of toyota there.. as im from australia... it seems that it has the same engine as Dr Z. the engine is a 5VZ-FE 3.4V6..
would the ECU n wiring be the same as urs Dr Z???
would the wire i need to cut be the same as mention on ur instruction..?

lastly... i found this site that sounds similar to ur mod..

here is a link:
http://pages.prodigy.net/keman/tempr.html
do u think its the same..?

thanks
Old 02-07-2003, 01:17 PM
Away

Originally posted by Prado
hi...

great mod...
well im new here..
n i was reading thru the mods... n came accross this ECT mod...
i was wondering if this mod would work on my toyota..
i have a toyota prado 3.4 V6.i dont know if u hav these type of toyota there.. as im from australia... it seems that it has the same engine as Dr Z. the engine is a 5VZ-FE 3.4V6..
would the ECU n wiring be the same as urs Dr Z???
would the wire i need to cut be the same as mention on ur instruction..?

lastly... i found this site that sounds similar to ur mod..

here is a link:
http://pages.prodigy.net/keman/tempr.html
do u think its the same..?

thanks
Hi Prado,

I answered your question in the Landcruiser forum. The mod you linked is not the same mod. That is the IAT mod and as I mentioned over there, it does nothing for our trucks.

I'll go check the other thread and see if you have seen my reply to you by now.

Peace.
Dr. Z
Old 02-07-2003, 01:32 PM
Away

Prado, I just realized I needed to expand my answer to include your other question about the ECT Wire. Like with the IAT sensor, it is most likely a different color on your truck than on mine. If you check out Mark's ECT page that is linked to in my ECT Article, you can see how easy it is to find the appropriate wire. Remember, it is most likely going to be Green and possibly have a stripe on it.

Hope this helps.
Dr. Z
Old 02-07-2003, 03:47 PM

thanks Dr Z...

yeah i saw ur reply...
thanks for clearing that up....
its so good that i saw this forum... coz im after things i can do to my rig.....

do u have any other mod i can do to get more hp for my rig..?
Old 03-19-2004, 05:14 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Dr. Z,

As I am on the verge of doing this mod in the next few days, did you find a way around the 2ng gen, auto tranny's problems of not shifting into O/D until completely warned up?

Im hoping the ECU uses a different senor for this but....

Quick Reply: Another "New" Performance Mod: The ECT Mod.