Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

------------Alternator Question------------

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 01:32 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
------------Alternator Question------------

my alternator is pooping out on me and i need to replace it. i am thinking of running a high output alternator. i dont have any need for it right now but i want to eventually add some aux lighting, powerful inverter, carputer stereo thing, and maybe even a winch. I also want to have a duel battery setup, but as of right now, i only have a red top optima.

Question #1: can i run a duel battery alternator with just one battery untill i save the cash for another optima?

Question #2: what brands should i look for?
i want to replace all components in my truck with premium parts. can you point me in the right direction?!
Old 12-07-2004, 03:09 PM

check this out
http://www.eurekaboy.com/f250/mechman.htm

then go here and contact Dennis.
www.mechman.com
Im running a 200 amp alt from him and it absolutely ROCKS!!
Old 12-08-2004, 10:03 AM
Contributing Member

look

i just found this http://search.ebay.com/high-output-a...ectZ1QQfromZR8 in ebay.

it looks like a good deal to me. 200 amps for 200 dollar on average and there isnt a lack of supply.

i know you can adapt a ford or gm to a toy but does it matter what year?
would i only need to fabricate a bracket or do i need to mess with rewiring?

if so any tutorials or testimonials?
Old 12-08-2004, 12:45 PM

Yes youll need to re wire and the bracket would be tricky as the steering knuckle is VERY close to the alternator.Aftermarket alts are bigger cases and can be a REAL nightmare to mount without touching.
This is one of the reasons I went with Mechman.All the cables were supplied with ends allready on them and each end labled for location.The bracket was also a perfect fit.

Remember YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!

I just gave a testimonial as well as giving the link to a testamonial and an install.Werent you paying attention??
Old 12-09-2004, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by getitdone
my alternator is pooping out on me and i need to replace it. i am thinking of running a high output alternator. i dont have any need for it right now but i want to eventually add some aux lighting, powerful inverter, carputer stereo thing, and maybe even a winch. I also want to have a duel battery setup, but as of right now, i only have a red top optima.

Question #1: can i run a duel battery alternator with just one battery untill i save the cash for another optima?

Question #2: what brands should i look for?
i want to replace all components in my truck with premium parts. can you point me in the right direction?!

Here's what I did for my '85 Toy 4Runner:

http://www.rocketcityrockcrawlers.co...lt_Upgrade.htm

I hope this helps.

Thanks,

Al
Old 12-09-2004, 01:56 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm running a high-output from Mr. Alternator.

It was a direct swap on the factory brackets. The only downside thus far is that you need to be running at a bit of a high idle (about 900rpm) for it to kick in it's 2nd set of windings (the "high" side). But, Tom ("Mr." Alternator) will fit the alternator with a smaller pulley (thus turning it faster) if that's an issue for you.