Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Addco end links

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2002, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Addco end links

FWIW, I've been running Toyota's stock end links with my Addco bar in the front for quite a while. I had cut down a pair of polyurethane bushings to fit on the stock bar and have been using the setup for several months because I thought the Toyota link was better.

Anyway, today, just for grins I switched back to the Addco end links, which include four thick bushings each.

So far, I've only been out for two short drives, but it seems to be noticably less harsh on the small bumps. Those of you who don't use Addco's links may want to reconsider and at least give them a try.

For those who have old Addco links, because of breakage the original style mounting bracket has been redesigned. Addco added some substantial gussets to brace them up. If yours aren't the new design, you may be interested in ordering a pair.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:29 PM
Contributing Member

Surprising observations there. I would have thought that with the ball joint that the factory endlinks would give a less harsh ride.
Old 09-18-2002, 12:44 PM

Originally posted by jalaber
Surprising observations there. I would have thought that with the ball joint that the factory endlinks would give a less harsh ride.
The only thing I can think of is the fact that there's probably about four times the bushing material involved in the absorbing process when using the Addco links. They're also a little bit shorter so they make the bar operate in a slightly different arc. Whether that makes a difference, I don't know.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:22 PM

Chuck, I've got a question for ya.

I'm new on this board and haven't formally introduced myself but I'm about to install the front Addco bar on my 4Runner and since you said you used those links provided by Addco I'd like to ask first if it's OK while your post is fresh. Then I'll say Hey Yall later.

The lower part of the stock Toyota endlink (front) has a bushing on it and the bolt comes off of the endlink at an odd angle. What did you do to make the Addco endlink work the same way? Did you use that Toyota bushing & bolt there or no bushing at all? In other words...How exactly did you fit that Addco endlink to the frame?

Thanks so much if you can get this post.

GladeRunner (Rob)
Old 09-18-2002, 07:29 PM

Originally posted by GladeRunner
Chuck, I've got a question for ya.

I'm new on this board and haven't formally introduced myself but I'm about to install the front Addco bar on my 4Runner and since you said you used those links provided by Addco I'd like to ask first if it's OK while your post is fresh. Then I'll say Hey Yall later.

The lower part of the stock Toyota endlink (front) has a bushing on it and the bolt comes off of the endlink at an odd angle. What did you do to make the Addco endlink work the same way? Did you use that Toyota bushing & bolt there or no bushing at all? In other words...How exactly did you fit that Addco endlink to the frame?

Thanks so much if you can get this post.

GladeRunner (Rob)
The Addco links are a totally different design than Toyota's. They are a long bolt that passes through a ninety degree piece of stock that takes the place of Toyota's "tie-rod link" style. The newer ones are reinforced by welded gussets to allow them to take the right-angle load without breaking.

I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow to show the difference.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:48 PM

Thanks, I'll look for the pics tomorrow. From the sound of it I got the old style endlinks (even though I just got the Addco bar delivered to me yesterday).

In my kit each endlink is a long bolt, 4 bushings, 4 small metal round bushing endplates, and a 90 degree bracket. No gussets are on the 90 degree brackets. If these are the old endlinks this boils down to poor quality control by Addco. We'll see. Thanks again.

Last edited by GladeRunner; 09-18-2002 at 07:50 PM.
Old 09-18-2002, 07:51 PM

Thanks, I'll look for the pics tomorrow. From the sound of it I got the old style endlinks (even though I just got the Addco bar delivered to me yesterday).

In my kit each endlink is a long bolt, 4 bushings, 4 small metal round bushing endplates, and a 90 degree bracket. If these are the old endlinks this boils down to poor quality control by Addco. We'll see. Thanks again.
The link is still the same. Only the mounting bracket has been altered and you probably have the new one. The old bracket was just a simple L-shape that would fatigue and break.

I didn't like the Addco links when I first saw them, but they do seem to be designed to do the job properly now.

I'm working on some pics now and they'll be posted soon.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:04 PM

Here is a pic of the Toyota links:

The Addco link:

...and the revised Addco bracket:

Note the added gussets to prevent breakage. They're plenty strong now.

More pics have been added to my site for more views. I hope this helps show the differences.

BTW, if you haven't already done so, take a look at Jalaber's write-up on the Addcos. He has a complete list of the hardware you need.

Last edited by ckonarske; 09-18-2002 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-18-2002, 08:33 PM

Well, just as I thought. There are no gussets on the L brackets that I got with my kit. I'm going to call Performance Products and the Addco sales office tomorrow to see if either one of them would be willing to send some new ones to me without a hassel. In the mean time I think I'll install the bar using the Toyota endlinks for now.

You've been a tremendous help Chuck - in such a short period of time too. I'll let ya know how things turn out. Thanks

Rob.
Old 09-19-2002, 04:21 AM

Well, just as I thought. There are no gussets on the L brackets that I got with my kit. I'm going to call Performance Products and the Addco sales office tomorrow to see if either one of them would be willing to send some new ones to me without a hassel.
I'm surprised there are still any old brackets around. I've had mine for about four months or so and the "new" brackets were supplied with my kit.

I've heard so many storys of suppliers being out of stock on the Addcos that I thought all current supplies would be fresh and up to date no matter where you bought it.
Old 09-19-2002, 05:57 AM
Contributing Member

Here is a pic showing the difference in legnth...

Old 09-19-2002, 06:21 AM

I just called Addco for some answers from the horse's mouth.

Me: "Why are the Addco links different length compared to Toyota's?"

Dan: "I'm not part of the design team so don't really know . Possibly because of different stock lengths of the bolts used in making them up."

Me: "How are old parts (mounting brackets) getting mixed in with new shipments?"

Dan: "I'm the QC manager and have specifically specified the gusseted bracket for the 4Runners. Call and request new brackets if you have received the wrong ones. They'll be sent out. I don't know what's different about the 4Runners. We use the angle brackets on many other applications, but the 4Runner is the only app that breaks the brackets. The new gusseted brackets are 800% stronger than the old ones."

I've called Addco a number of times and they've always been very helpful, as they were today. They're very free with their support time and really want you to be satisfied with their products.
Old 09-19-2002, 01:04 PM

First thing this morning I called Addco to ask about the endlink set that I got with my swaybar. Told them I think I got the older set instead of the new ones. The girl took my name, address and told me they will gladly send out a new set to me at no charge. They didn't give me any run-around at all. That made me feel good. Addco's a good company.
Old 09-20-2002, 05:35 AM

I am lifted 2" and running a front Addco. Very few people have this set up but it is great if....you use end links that disconnect (known as 'discos')

I bent both and then broke one factory end link with this et up so went to a disco from Nuke.

Very large bushings one end, a heim on the other and very, very strong !

Nice thing is I can disconnect them in about 3 mins to add to my front end articualtion.

David