Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Actual Old Man Emu, 881 & 891 springs

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2004, 07:58 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bamachem
have any of you ever compared a pic of Brian and one of Schaefer? Lol... long lost brothers!!!
Well if his realatives are all from Germany I guess it's possible.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:17 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have searched and found conflicting info. From what I deducted from several different sources is that the Taco coils are 420#/in. I think we can take this as factual.

Now, according to the donahue info, they make thier coilovers 30% stiffer than taco stock spring rates and 15% stiffer than tundra stock spring rates (use the same spring). Using MATH, not the seat of my pants and the 420# as the stock Taco spring rate I CALCULATED the donahue spring rate to be 546#/in. Now take that and divide by 1.15 and you get the STOCK TUNDRA SPRING RATE AT 475#/IN.

Go figure...

420#/in * 1.30 (30% stiffer) = 546#/in
546#/in / 1.15 (same spring but only 15% stiffer for Tundra) = 474.78#/in

Also, we KNOW that the 1999/2000 V6 4wd coils will lift a stock V6 4WD Taco by about an inch just by swapping the 4runner springs over. Supposedly, the lengths are the same, so the runner springs must have a higher spring rate to give the lift. I know the Tundra setup is stiffer than my original setup, but I also went to the HD struts, so I can't compare apples to apples here w/ the stock suspension. Also at the same time, I lost about 50# worth of brush guard, throwing another kink in the seat-o-the-pants meter.

I personally think the combination of the N91s and the 882's is a much stiffer feel than the tundra v8 coils and the bilstein HD's, but since the struts are different, we run into the same problem w/ the apples to apples comparison, so who knows if the 882's are actually THAT much stiffer. All I know is the PACKAGE of the 882's an n91s' compared to the V8 coils, cornfed 2.5" spacer and bilstein HD struts is NOTICEABLY different on the road under typical driving conditions.

Last edited by bamachem; 08-23-2004 at 08:27 AM.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:34 AM
Contributing Member

Good calculations. I'm willing to bet that 500 number for the 881 family is really alot higher.

Those things are really stiff. Any spring will compress under a heavy load, but mine compress under light loads, there is the difference.

Tundra coils and spacers is where I place my bet.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:22 AM

...These are PRE-Diff-Drop install...
Speaking of which, aside from skid plate clearance, is it feasible to drop the diff more than 1" ? Why not 1.5-2" and get those CV's nice and flat again? (esp. if I do a 3" lift)
Old 08-23-2004, 10:25 AM
Banned

I'll take a pic of mine later today and post it tonight. I have the 1" diff drop in and mine are almost flat. You could easily do 1.5", but I don't see the need.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:31 AM
Contributing Member

I'll take a pic of mine later today and post it tonight. I have the 1" diff drop in and mine are almost flat. You could easily do 1.5", but I don't see the need.
There is a crossmember in the way, if you go more than 1".
Old 08-23-2004, 10:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
Andy said the difference between the Tundra and the Old Man Emu was night and day, 5 pounds is not even noticeable.
the 882s are not only stiffer than the Tundra coils, they are longer, so i understand the harsh differences.

I still would like the lengths of all these coils, i would like to compare to the OMEs.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:48 AM

There is a crossmember in the way, if you go more than 1".
I guess thats what I needed to know. Thanks.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:54 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by RTdawgs
the 882s are not only stiffer than the Tundra coils, they are longer, so i understand the harsh differences.

I still would like the lengths of all these coils, i would like to compare to the OMEs.
The extra length of the OME's shouldn't make them any more stiff. I have about 1/2" more lift w/ the Tundra/Cornfeds than w/ the 882's.

Call some local toyota dealers and see if they have some Tundra Coils on the shelf and see if they will take measurements for you. For me to do it would mean taking the front suspension out and apart, and that isn't going to happen unless I change spacer configuration.

For the OME's, you can call ARBUSA for the 880's, 881's, and 882's. Brian posted on an old thread the dim's of his 882/891s... or maybe it was his 881/891's before he switched. Anyway, you can look that one up.

You're more than welcome to drive over w/ a coil compressor while I sit back and enjoy some suds and watch you take them apart and put them back together, but for some reason, I think that would be going a little too far to get measurements...

Good luck getting the info out of a dealer. Also look on ebay and tundrasolutions. Maybe you can find someone w/ some for sale that could take some "credible" measurements.

Last edited by bamachem; 08-23-2004 at 11:37 AM.
Old 08-23-2004, 04:21 PM

Correct, OME cover DOES NOT fit in a Cornbred, I would Revtek top-out before I Cornfed.

Worlds different, but only good for 1/2" of lift.

Where did you get the Bilstein shock boots from??? Are they sold seperately?
Oh i just looked at your site and found the part numbers
Old 08-23-2004, 05:16 PM
Contributing Member

I just skimmed over the previous posts. I'll look at them more closely later.

I say Lance (Bighead) builds it and I will check it out in Moab.
Steve: I understand you are talking about using the 4WD Tundra V8 coils with the Franks spacers (1.5" Cornfed and Revtek). Are you saying use that with OME N91S or Andy's Tundra HD Billies?

Some one needs to do it and I need to see it in real life. Maybe I'll pickup a set of Tundra coils and try them out. Not any time soon though.
I wouldn't mind trying it out, I just don't know if I'll have the time before Moab (I am leaving NC ~22 Sep). Cornfed is out of town and, according to the TTORA boards, his orders are stacking up so it may take a while for spacers. I have to go buy some more balljoint boots at the dealership tomorrow so I will check on some prices for the Tundra coils while I am there. Andy: what is the part number(s) for the Tundra coils?

Hell, I still need to figure out how to make my M8000 fit in my T-15 with my TRD tranny cooler in the way (if anyone has figured out this puzzle please PM with some hints).
Old 08-23-2004, 07:18 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bighead
Steve: I understand you are talking about using the 4WD Tundra V8 coils with the Franks spacers (1.5" Cornfed and Revtek). Are you saying use that with OME N91S or Andy's Tundra HD Billies?
Tundra V8 coils, OME N91S, Cornbred 1.5" and Revtek top out.

Just like mine, 1 engine higher.
Old 08-23-2004, 08:22 PM

According to the email I received today, Cornfed ain't doing jack for new orders... Wouldn't take my order for some custom stuff, albeit very nicely, apparently there are some life changes going on there.

Mike
Old 08-23-2004, 09:58 PM

https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/partscat.html

has some tundra coils 4wd w and w/o Off Road Package to choose from

70-80$ a piece.

Boy am I lucky, Cornfed accepted my PayPal payment a couple days ago, so that better mean I got real lucky and theyre gonna get my spacers out to me
Old 08-24-2004, 03:50 AM
Banned

Mine are the TRD Bilsteins for the Tundra. Red Ivan Stewart Ones w/a TRD sticker (Black Letters) on the bottom near the lower eye. You can barely make it out in the pic a few posts above.

[edit] Lookie what I just found...

http://www.wheelersoffroad.com/trd.htm

Red Ivan Stewart Billies are $194.50 a pair

Yellow HD Billies (Same, just not RED) are $134.50 a pair

TRD Tundra Coils are $219.00 a pair

I got VERY lucky and got my complete front set off of eBay as takeoffs on a new 2004 for something like $140 or $150 shipped. That was for the complete front coilpacks. I simply took off the top plate and added the cornfed spacer so it would fit the upper strut mount of the 4runner AND give me lift at the same time.

__________________________________________________ _______________

Originally Posted by azrain
According to the email I received today, Cornfed ain't doing jack for new orders... Wouldn't take my order for some custom stuff, albeit very nicely, apparently there are some life changes going on there.

Mike
WOW. Do you think it was from the huge backlog or is he getting out of the business???

Last edited by bamachem; 08-24-2004 at 04:36 AM.
Old 08-24-2004, 10:33 AM
Contributing Member

Front: 881's with 1 trim packer = 1.5"

To make this perfect at 2" of lift install the 3/8" thick Revtek top out spacer along with the Revtek studs. This will give you 1/2" of lift that will not have any effect on the OME springs. This is in additon to the 1 trim packer, without that, the 881's would give you a whoping 1" of lift.

Rear: 891's with NO cones = 2.5"
How about replacing the 891s with 890s for a softer back?

And does anyone know the part #s for the revtek topout spacers and the studs? My local shop is pricing all the pieces out for me and this is a gray area to him, need to make sure it is right..

Steve - check your pm from yesterday, I need to order up a diff drop asap!

Rob
Old 08-24-2004, 10:45 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by payyourtoll
I think the 891's are fine, it's the front 881 family that I personally really don't care for.

And does anyone know the part #s for the revtek topout spacers and the studs? My local shop is pricing all the pieces out for me and this is a gray area to him, need to make sure it is right..
Revtek:

Aluminum top spacers: TOE-2
Studs: STD-6

Phone: 1-877-LIFT-TOY (543-8869)

Steve - check your pm from yesterday, I need to order up a diff drop asap!
My PM box was full your message did not go through. It's always best to e-mail me through my fastq e-mail address:

sschaefer@fastq.com

I have the steel cylinder and all the hardware for the spacers, I can have them out to you in a day or two no problem.
Old 08-24-2004, 03:41 PM
Contributing Member

I'm happy with the 891s with the amount of weight I have on/in the rear of my Runner. If anything I may have to add a spacer. I toyed with the idea of going to 892s but I figure I'll try a .5"-1" rear Cornfed before I go that route.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:52 PM

WOW. Do you think it was from the huge backlog or is he getting out of the business???
No clue, didn't push it. I can run a mill and lathe as well, just being lazy. In the end though, I'm just happy to be doing a few things to the junk pile lately, keeps the interest in it when you do a few little tweaky things to see if it works or not.

Mike
Old 08-25-2004, 03:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Bighead
I'm happy with the 891s with the amount of weight I have on/in the rear of my Runner. If anything I may have to add a spacer. I toyed with the idea of going to 892s but I figure I'll try a .5"-1" rear Cornfed before I go that route.
Lance - would you recommend the 891s over the 890s if I do not run extra weight in the back, or tow for that matter? I mean the occasional lumber yard haul but nothing regularly back there.

Quick Reply: Actual Old Man Emu, 881 & 891 springs