Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

99' Herculining Fun

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
take some rubbing alcohol or acetone and it comes right.. looks good man, just gotta do the back now.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:04 PM

Looks good. I am waiting for my grill to dry. I used the krylon black fusion.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:01 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Depending on my work schedule tomorrow, the back bumper may just be coming off for me to dig into it. Something I totally forgot to do was order a new plastic top piece for it. This may be a stupid question, but does that go on AFTER the bumper is remounted? (Meaning can I order it now and in several weeks after it gets here can I just snap it into place without taking my back bumper off again?)
Old 04-08-2008, 09:15 PM

Yea man, you have to take that plastic piece off first. there is clips up under it, and you have to pull of one side and then the rest (like your peeling it off), it doesnt just lift off. pull your original one off and you will see what im talking about.
Old 04-11-2008, 10:34 AM

4rkidd, did you get that orange peel look from painting your grille with the krylon fusion. Or did yours come out perfect? Iam on round two of painting and sanding it again.
Old 04-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Contributing Member

I decided just today to do my rockers once we settle into a stretch of nice weather and then hopefully some sliders.

I haven't decided how high I'm going to go but will be looking at starting on Monday.

Center caps get repainted that week too.
Old 04-11-2008, 09:14 PM

my grill came out perfectly fine. it may have something to do with how much you put on at 1 time. i did atleast 6 coats. i let them fully dry inbetween.

x-aw, it really helps with shrubs and stuff.. you dont have to worry about scratchin paint. its time for sliders for me.
Old 04-12-2008, 09:07 AM
Contributing Member

I'm almost done with my rear bumper. I'm feeling so much better about how it's going on then when I did my front.

As for the bumpers, I thought putting very thin coats on it would be better. But after doing that I was dealing with all these little pin holes with chrome showing through (over and over again). So I switched to putting it on pretty thick. I found that it covers better and looks better overall. I just got in from doing a touch up layer. I'm hoping it will be dry by this afternoon so I get get it back on. After that I'll post pics of the whole truck (it needs a bath.... With my new tires, I HAVE TO get some flares on my Runner. These spray road water down the whole side of my Runner).
Old 04-14-2008, 05:18 AM

When you did your Rocker Panels...how did you prep the paint?
Old 04-14-2008, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Quattro15
When you did your Rocker Panels...how did you prep the paint?
Haven't done mine yet, but when I do I'll tape off the area I want to cover... Then rough up the paint with 80 or 100 grit sand paper. Wipe it down with a cleaner and that should be it. Ready to coat. If you have running boards or sliders I would cover those incase of drips or spatter.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:38 AM

grab some sand paper and rough it up.. it really doesnt matter how rough with the herculiner or any of those types, just rough.. make sure you tape off then sand.
Old 04-14-2008, 10:32 AM
Contributing Member

I got my cap ordered for my rear bumper today. Should be in this week. Here are some pics of the rear bumper before and after shots and of the whole truck. Now on to window tint! LOL (It never ends, does it?????)

Took a wire wheel to see how much rust was behind the chrome. This was the worse spot.

I used this with a metal screen to fill in the rust holes.

Shots of the putty and bondo in place...

Shot of the truck and one of my daughters.

Rear shots

Old 04-14-2008, 01:49 PM

definately looks good. i thought about using bondo but no need to seeing that the herculiner goes one as thick as it does. but awesome work!
Old 04-14-2008, 02:15 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4RKidd
definately looks good. i thought about using bondo but no need to seeing that the herculiner goes one as thick as it does. but awesome work!

Many Thanks! I'm happy with it. As for the bondo if it was just rust spots then you're right I wouldn't have worried about it. But the owner before me pulled a boat.... Those bondo batches filled grapefruit sized dents in the bumper (I guess where the tounge of the boat trailer hit it while getting it on the hitch). Even with the Herculiner, I think you would have seen the "wave" in the bumper as I had three or four of these large dents in it.

It was a toss up what to do next, tint the windows or get foglights... Since it's the time of the year where you hardly need lights on anymore, I'm going to go for the tint. Fogs can wait till this Fall. After that depending on how much work I have this summer I'm going for the SS 1.2 lift to replace some tired shocks\springs. With those two things it should be looking nice and "evil"!
Old 04-14-2008, 06:57 PM

ohh i hear ya on the dents.. tinted windows would do you wonders. i just bought window vent visor shades.
Old 04-14-2008, 07:15 PM
Contributing Member

ohh i hear ya on the dents.. tinted windows would do you wonders. i just bought window vent visor shades.
Tint will cost me $140 plus a day of my weekend. I'm start working 7-12s tomorrow so who knows when I can get them done.

Let's see them when you get the visors on. When the times comes I want to get a bug deflector, sun roof and window visors. Hard to find the ones I like though. Wasn't there a set of vent visor shades that don't use the double sided tape and slides up inside somehow?
Old 04-14-2008, 10:22 PM

wow. why so much?? only 2 windows. are you getting them all redone? the ones i got are double sided tape.. i couldnt find the ones that dont use it.. only ones that i think they could be are the in channel ones. but even in the description it said double sided tape is used.
Old 04-15-2008, 06:45 AM
Contributing Member

wow. why so much?? only 2 windows. are you getting them all redone? the ones i got are double sided tape.. i couldnt find the ones that dont use it.. only ones that i think they could be are the in channel ones. but even in the description it said double sided tape is used.

"wow. why so much?? only 2 windows. are you getting them all redone?"

----Welcome to Alaska.... And yep, that's for the front two windows only. What's the going price for tint down there?

How's this...? Stopped into a place yesterday to ask about Bushwacker flares. The "Extend A Flare" with the additional caps for the running boards they wanted $560.00 plus tax and shipping! And they said it would take 3-6 weeks to get them!! I had to fight hard not to laugh right in their faces. I love this state, but I get tired of being treated like a third world country.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:14 AM

youch on the bushwackers. id just find a place online and have them shipped. well i do tint myself but i got quoted one time on my rx7 and was 200 for as dark as i wanted all the way around, no receipt though its against the law to have less than 20% here i think. takes me about 2 hours to do 2 front windows and about 15 bux of tint.
Old 04-15-2008, 08:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
try sportztrailerz

Originally Posted by psraff
"wow. why so much?? only 2 windows. are you getting them all redone?"

----Welcome to Alaska.... And yep, that's for the front two windows only. What's the going price for tint down there?

How's this...? Stopped into a place yesterday to ask about Bushwacker flares. The "Extend A Flare" with the additional caps for the running boards they wanted $560.00 plus tax and shipping! And they said it would take 3-6 weeks to get them!! I had to fight hard not to laugh right in their faces. I love this state, but I get tired of being treated like a third world country.
$355 delivered-was a recent quote for Extend a Fenders that I got from Sportztrailerz. Your freight would likley be more...

Nice job you are doing on the bumper. Looking forward to your lift.

Quick Reply: 99' Herculining Fun