Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

$665 front end alignment

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2004, 06:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
$665 front end alignment

I went to merchents tire other day to get a front end alignment and the said I need a iner tie rod. Well I took it in today to get the repair done and the ended up saying that when they went to make the adjustments to the other side's tie rod that the outer tie rod broke. They sad that water poored out of the boot that connets it to cotrol arm I guess. So that I need to replace the inner on that side too because the lock bolt had siezed up and was striping the treads. That broght my total to 2 iner tie roads and 1 outer one and the alignment that I had just wanted. My total for all this was $665. When I examed the bill later I realized that The had charged me $71 for one inner tie rod and $157 for the other. His realy was I had to get it from the dealership.
After inspecting the old parts when I got home I realized that only one of the inner tie rods looks bad. The ball and joint on one is still greased and with no play.

It just realy sucks when you go in for a alignment for $65 and you end up spending $665.

Anyone had this problem.

thanks
Old 04-19-2004, 08:14 PM
Contributing Member

That happenned to me one time when I brought my truck for an alignment in Firestone. They broke one of my outer tie rod and told me that it is no good. I think that is bull ˟˟˟˟!!! The reason why so was the lock nut seized up because of rust and they simply try to force it to turn on the nuts while using the tie rod to support the force instead on using the proper way , by using brute force that way will break the tie rod. And they told me the other one has to be replaced simply they can't break it free. THey want around $200++ for one tie rod replacement. And I end up towing my truck home and fix it for less than $50 tie rod from toyota. If you use a jack stand to support one of the wrench while hammer another wrench on the locking nut, it will break free eventually. That was what I did and Firestone want to charge me for $400 for both tie rod ends and they are the one who messed up my tie rod end without using common sense and the proper way. yours could be the case like mine. Those idiots!!!!
Old 04-19-2004, 08:19 PM
Contributing Member

I hate to tell you but the tie rods are only 41 bucks each.

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...ght=late+model

Outer Tie Rod - Right: 45046-39335
Outer Tie Rod - Left: 45047-39215

Hang em high, they are quite crooked.

Check out:

https://www.1sttoyotaparts.com/

Use the OEM parts catalog with the part numbers above. They are so friken easy to install as well.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:20 PM
Contributing Member

There are no "inner" tie rods, that would be the rack and pinion.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:22 PM
Contributing Member

I agree. They are super easy to install, both inner and outer are easy to install. That was what I did for less than $50 instead of paying those idiot for $200++.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Actually there are both left and right inner tie rod ends on third Gen 4Runenr, they list for around $137 at toyota, internet discount should be around $104. inner rods are located at both ends of the rack and pinion.

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
There are no "inner" tie rods, that would be the rack and pinion.
Old 04-19-2004, 08:31 PM
Contributing Member

You got a pic of this inner tire rod?
Old 04-19-2004, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

Try the following link from toyotaworld.com. You should be able to see the whole breakdown diagram of the rack and pinion.

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocat...=3&catalogid=1
Old 04-20-2004, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

Any simple way to know whether you need new rods? I get some steering feedback on slow (<10mph) bumpy downhills. Otherwise I don't feel it. I don't get the same feedback on the same hill in our 04 Tacoma.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:15 AM

Ive got some pics of the parts if some one will post them for me.

Man, I figured it wasnt that hard, but once they had broke it I could not drive and I firgured it would be more expensive to tow it.

I need my truck to get home from work that nite to. I can promise that will be the last time I ever go some where like that again.

The tie rod comes in two peices even tough it is a rack and pinion.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:17 AM

The guy there told me you could only tell it you jack the truck up and shake the wheel to see if there is any play.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks 4runner4me! Good luck with your truck, they can be a pain sometimes.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:22 AM
Contributing Member

dont ever pay anyone else fix your stuff again, if they say something is broke call me and ill help you fix it. Thats highway robbery man. There are very few things on your truck i couldnt help you replace. towing is free, its called AAA, and even if you dont have it i woulda used mine for you. $100 in parts and a few hours under your truck and we coulda had you on the road again. I will personally NEVER pay anyone to work on my truck unless it is ABSOLUTLY mandatory, every car mechanic and dealer i have ever met was a crook

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 04-20-2004 at 06:25 AM.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:29 AM
Contributing Member

If you put this on a credit card, you may want to think about making a case against this place. That is just robbery.
Old 04-20-2004, 06:32 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking Bbb

I'd take it up with the shop as a formal complaint and I would also file a complaint with your local Better Business Bureau. I had a shop try to do something similar to me on a brand new truck. Lucky for me the idiot who tried to pull this never looked at the odometer to realize it was a new truck. The idiot got fired as a result and I got some perks as a result.

Old 04-20-2004, 06:40 AM

Thanks Jermmy, I hate to bother some one else with my problem. But I would have rather gave you the money to fix it then to give them $665. Who is the guy that has been doing your welding. My sliders are coming in this week and I need to find some where to get them installed. If I had know I was going to have to spend some much on the front end I would have never order the slider.

Oh well live and learn huh
Old 04-20-2004, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4runner4me
I wouldn't "give up" just yet (see above posts).
Old 04-20-2004, 06:56 AM

Oh I am not christian I am going up to the stealership in a little while and get there opion on this matter. Not that that will realy help.

I just when out and look at the work that was done on the tuck. Well they riped one of my boots and didnt put the other one on right.

I am going to take a look at a runner to see how the boots are supposed to look.

These people realy suck ###
Old 04-20-2004, 09:11 AM
Contributing Member

Just oike NCSU 4Runner said, there are tons of crooked robber out there nowaday. It is hard to find some honest and knowledgeble mechanic out there. I never let other people touch my truck unless I know them real well and they know what they are doing. I insisted in towing my truck home right after the stupid Firestone mess up my tie rod by AAA...free free A good way to fix/repair your truck is get the Factory Toyota service manual, you can basically tear down your truck into pieces wihout any problem putting back together given the right tool
Old 04-20-2004, 01:57 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4runner4me
Thanks Jermmy, I hate to bother some one else with my problem. But I would have rather gave you the money to fix it then to give them $665. Who is the guy that has been doing your welding. My sliders are coming in this week and I need to find some where to get them installed. If I had know I was going to have to spend some much on the front end I would have never order the slider.

kevin watts, ill give you his number. He does REALLY nice welding work. i think he charged like $50 an hour but it shouldnt take but 1 hour at the very most to do a pair of sliders.

Last edited by NCSU-4runner; 04-20-2004 at 01:59 PM.

Quick Reply: $665 front end alignment