Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

5vzfe Turbo Kit Interest??

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2004, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I do believe the kit will have the turbo mounted on the header, I dont see why anyone would copy STS lol.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Are you saying that the turbo would be mounted under the vehicle?

Also, you are going to need a VB upgrade for the Auto trans, or kiss it good-bye after a couple hard 1-2 shifts.
Absolutely not, the turbo would more than likely be located on the passenger side.

So the auto tranny is soo weak it would need a VB upgrade to handle the boost? Does the TRD SC come with such an upgrade?

We were looking into a tranny and oil cooler for the kit but a VB upgrade?

This is good info, we will see what happens on the dyno though.
Old 10-04-2004, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by Bumpin' Yota
I am 100% with dBMikeMan. If I got a turbo, I want power out the YING YANG. Gimme intercooled, stand alone fuel management, new feul pump, new injectors, piggy back system (smt 6/smt 7), exhuast, turbo headers, turbo timer, pyrometer, air fuel mixture gauge, and some cuepons for the nearest dyno shop for dyno tuning...

Ok maybe the cuepons are asking a bit much....LOL
This isnt far from the end possible results....gauges and dyno time would be extra but HIGHLY recommended! I cannot stress enough how important it is that you are aware of how the vehicle is running especially A/F wise.

I have seen countless examples of completely stock, right off the show room floor cars running 15.1+ A/F its frightening. I mean 13.5 is nominal, and our Tacoma bone stock with 16k miles was running a very very warm 14.5 A/F!
Old 10-04-2004, 07:12 PM
Contributing Member

The VB upgrade does not come with the SC. There are a few places that you can send your VB to and they will adjust it or whatever they do then send it back. Cost about 450 i think. It would be highly recommended with boost.
Old 10-05-2004, 04:55 AM
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by horshack
This isnt far from the end possible results....gauges and dyno time would be extra but HIGHLY recommended! I cannot stress enough how important it is that you are aware of how the vehicle is running especially A/F wise.

I have seen countless examples of completely stock, right off the show room floor cars running 15.1+ A/F its frightening. I mean 13.5 is nominal, and our Tacoma bone stock with 16k miles was running a very very warm 14.5 A/F!
It just depends if you want to make power or a cutting torch...
Sounds like a much better turbo kit than I have seen so I will be curious when you plan to roll it out?
Old 10-05-2004, 04:58 AM
Contributing Member

Hey, I am in Phoenix, so let me know when you guys start rolling on the testing. I would love to come by and check out the progress.
Old 10-05-2004, 06:59 PM

Well until we can find some sort of dependable adjustable engine mangement system we are a little gun shy on releasing a full blown kit. Its not like we can send everyone directions on how to install and adjust an ApexI AFC and promise everyone will have a safe kit.

But we are working on it, we will see if the tranny lets go on the dyno or not.
Old 10-05-2004, 07:32 PM

OK, I think everyone has to understand that the fuel system on the 5VZ-FE sucks. There is no way around some sort of fuel adjustment, be it pressure, additional injector, etc.

I think that if a good base kit is offered that runs well, people will by it. Then if upgrades are offered on top of that. Offer a base kit at a good price for the people that just want the same or slightly better performance than the TRD supercharger. Then offer upgraded kits that can run higher boost levels and more HP. Hell, I'd be happy with just a set of turbo manifolds that I could mount a ball-bearing Garret turbo to. The rest is just a matter of fixing the fuel problem.

You can't listen to what everyone wants on here. Make a base kit that is better than the TRD supercharger kit for the same price or less and they will buy. I know that you can offer this for less than the TRD kit and make more HP. Beat the TRD kit on price and make 10+HP more reliably......that's all these people want. Well, they might want more, but they will definately buy it if you do that much.
Old 10-06-2004, 04:21 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Dan_90SR5
OK, I think everyone has to understand that the fuel system on the 5VZ-FE sucks. There is no way around some sort of fuel adjustment, be it pressure, additional injector, etc.

I think that if a good base kit is offered that runs well, people will by it. Then if upgrades are offered on top of that. Offer a base kit at a good price for the people that just want the same or slightly better performance than the TRD supercharger. Then offer upgraded kits that can run higher boost levels and more HP. Hell, I'd be happy with just a set of turbo manifolds that I could mount a ball-bearing Garret turbo to. The rest is just a matter of fixing the fuel problem.

You can't listen to what everyone wants on here. Make a base kit that is better than the TRD supercharger kit for the same price or less and they will buy. I know that you can offer this for less than the TRD kit and make more HP. Beat the TRD kit on price and make 10+HP more reliably......that's all these people want. Well, they might want more, but they will definately buy it if you do that much.

Dan, I think your advice is pretty good as far as what people are looking for, I mean if you have a turbo setup with the same boost for a bit less than the TRD S/C (say in the $1500-2000 range.....$5k for a kit wouldn't sell many) then I think you will have a definate winner on your hands. This would be a base model only and no solution to any fuel issues which gives people a chance to either buy the 7th injector (if it will be compatible), buy the URD kit or yours if you choose to offer one. Then people can change pulleys and add fuel delivery mods as needed for their own level of enjoyment and purse strings.
Old 10-06-2004, 05:59 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Dan, I think your advice is pretty good as far as what people are looking for, I mean if you have a turbo setup with the same boost for a bit less than the TRD S/C (say in the $1500-2000 range.....$5k for a kit wouldn't sell many) then I think you will have a definate winner on your hands. This would be a base model only and no solution to any fuel issues which gives people a chance to either buy the 7th injector (if it will be compatible), buy the URD kit or yours if you choose to offer one. Then people can change pulleys and add fuel delivery mods as needed for their own level of enjoyment and purse strings.
Pulleys? Are you talking about a turbo or another supercharger? Either way, I thing that something cheaper with the same or just a bit more HP.....reliably is the right track. Like I said, I'm partial to turbos. I think that they are the best route, but lets look at another more universal option.......and if I had the money I would peersue this route.

Why not produce a cheaper supercharger kit that uses a centrifugal type blower? Maybe a Paxton or Vortech supercharger. The reason that I think this would be a better route is because it would be alot cheaper to develope.......easier to install......less install time. And best of all, you could use this on either the 5VZ-FE or the 3VZ-E. It would just be a matter of offering different brackets for each engine. This would be a huge developement for Toyotas.

Again, you could offer different kits. Offer a base kit like MTL mentioned that's nothing more than the supercharger and plumbing. Offer a kit that is the next step up with URD kit for the fuel. So on and so forth.

Nice thought, but either way it goes, the base kit should be simple.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:04 AM
Contributing Member

Thats the best thing about turbos... you can always change the boost. I think he hit it spot on with having two options (atleast) and having a basic basic turbo option that can still be used with the stock fuel system and would allow you to use a small small turbo so lag would be next to non-existant. To keep the price down, you don't necisarily need to include an intercooler. Plus thats a lot more piping etc. Then have a kit more geared for the enthusiest with a bigger turbo, intercooler, and some supra injectors and big fuel pump and then you could get some serious gains.

I'm glad to see someone taking this project. We have had a couple big debates on the pluses/minuses of S/Cing vs Turboing in the past when one member brought it up that he might be making a kit. Personally, I want something to compete with the crappy TRD S/C. Its undersized, causes pings out of the box (some are more lucky than others) and over priced! (though, you can find pretty good deals these days if you look)

Good luck with this project! I'm eager to see how things work out. I saw rescently a guy is trying to make an alternative bigger S/C and was offering a intercooler also. Bout time!
Old 10-06-2004, 06:23 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Dan_90SR5
Pulleys? Are you talking about a turbo or another supercharger? Either way, I thing that something cheaper with the same or just a bit more HP.....reliably is the right track. Like I said, I'm partial to turbos. I think that they are the best route, but lets look at another more universal option.......and if I had the money I would peersue this route.

Why not produce a cheaper supercharger kit that uses a centrifugal type blower? Maybe a Paxton or Vortech supercharger. The reason that I think this would be a better route is because it would be alot cheaper to develope.......easier to install......less install time. And best of all, you could use this on either the 5VZ-FE or the 3VZ-E. It would just be a matter of offering different brackets for each engine. This would be a huge developement for Toyotas.

Again, you could offer different kits. Offer a base kit like MTL mentioned that's nothing more than the supercharger and plumbing. Offer a kit that is the next step up with URD kit for the fuel. So on and so forth.

Nice thought, but either way it goes, the base kit should be simple.
I was thinking S/C equivalent when I wrote "pulleys" so in actuality it would be to adjust the popoff valve for more or less boost on the turbo depending on the needs of the enthusiast.

I have long been a huge fan of those centrifical type S/Cs but they have some lag like a turbo does at low RPM. The big benefit is that you can intercool the air before it enters the intake. I have yet to see any cheap versions of these so that price may be an issue for using this method.

Just for those looking at the differences about ways to create boost, here is a good link:
http://www.proficientperformance.com...l_vs_roots.htm

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 10-06-2004 at 06:24 AM.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:00 AM
Contributing Member

What kind of wastegate are you thinking of using?
Old 10-06-2004, 07:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by turboale
What kind of wastegate are you thinking of using?
I certainly hope it's an external wastegate! Internal wastgates have a nasty habit of cracking like a mofo thereby reducing boost pressures....

I think that is what has happened to our 6.5L HO turbo diesel chevy....
Old 10-06-2004, 05:47 PM

We like turbos much more than SC's. Turbos are more reliable, consistant and easier to control.

For the waste gate, it would be nothing less than an external TIAL, maybe 40mm?

As for a "basic" kit - its my understanding that the current fuel system SUCKS! So is it realistic to think that the stock fuel system can handle any type of boosted application?

Plus the shop owner/fabricator isnt about halfassing anything, its not worth doing if you cant do it well.

IE: Our Ford Contour turbo kit use's 321 stainless headers that he makes from scratch. He could have used 304, but he said 304 wouldnt stand the test of time under the turbo conditions, and 321 is a PITA to work with, its really tough stuff to cut and shape.
Old 10-06-2004, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by horshack
We like turbos much more than SC's. Turbos are more reliable, consistant and easier to control.

For the waste gate, it would be nothing less than an external TIAL, maybe 40mm?

As for a "basic" kit - its my understanding that the current fuel system SUCKS! So is it realistic to think that the stock fuel system can handle any type of boosted application?

Plus the shop owner/fabricator isnt about halfassing anything, its not worth doing if you cant do it well.

IE: Our Ford Contour turbo kit use's 321 stainless headers that he makes from scratch. He could have used 304, but he said 304 wouldnt stand the test of time under the turbo conditions, and 321 is a PITA to work with, its really tough stuff to cut and shape.
I agree.....what I meant by basic kit, is just a turbo, manifolds, wastegate, plumbing and whatever needs to be done to fix the fuel. I hit that up when I posted about a basic kit.

AS far as a upgraded kit, you could offer all of the things in the first kit plus add more boost, intercooler, blow-off valve and if need be a different fuel management.

A base kit using a turbo running 7psi would make more power than the TRD supercharger. This is proven by the company that does the remote mount turbos, and it's common knowledge of the parasitic loss of superchargers, especially roots type blowers. Now, just make it reliable and cheaper and you have a winner.

The upgraded kit could run 12-14psi of pressure. Again, make it reliable and at a fair price and people will buy it. Most would rather slap on a turbo than do a Supra swap.
Old 10-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

Horshack-

Where is your shop (cross streets)? Is it open to the public?
Old 10-07-2004, 05:42 AM

Check us out on the web:

www.arizonadynochip.com

Shop is open to the public, there is a map qwest map on the "contact us" page.

Major cross streets are Chandler Blvd and I10.

Long Story, we used to be StreetFlight in Mesa, but the owners split up, now Keith soley owns and operates ADC.
Old 10-07-2004, 06:12 AM
Contributing Member

So you must know SRD well then? My good buddy was in charge of their PR program and I picked up a couple blown motors from them (to tinker with). I used to be in that scene pretty heavilly (95 Civic SI) until I decided that I needed something big and off-road capable to keep me under control

What is your first name if I end up in there?
Old 10-07-2004, 12:19 PM

Ya, I would definetly be interested in a turbo kit for my truck. I have put turbos on a couple of friends cars and am always interested in a new performance part. If you can put together a kit that is superior to the TRD supercharger w/ all the extras you have to throw in then ya I will definetly buy it.

Quick Reply: 5vzfe Turbo Kit Interest??