Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

5 spd manual - not!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2003, 01:43 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What is an "Automatic" anyways??? Oh wait, I know... thats the one foot driver right??? That does suck though, I learned on a column shift and everything else since has been a stick for me. No More Stick = No more Toyota in my book!
Old 08-05-2003, 08:35 PM

Toyo, thats awesome! I plan on going to Colorado University (CU Boulder) to study mechanical engineering, if I don't get into the airforce academy.

Since automatics seem to be becoming the norm, will they soon be known as "standard transmissions"? I think people should have to get their license test in a manual. Its one of those need to know things, like riding a bike. What if all we manual tranny wanting guys parked our manual tranny trucks in front of the factory, so they couldn't ship any out. Then they'd have to listen!
Old 08-05-2003, 11:46 PM
Contributing Member

The reason toyo has stopped offering manuals in NA is because of the lazy-assed majority who don't know any better and don't buy the manual trannys. Plus most people never learn how to drive a stick properly leading to lots of warrenty work and unwarrented complaints about build quality when the problem was really caused by the driver themself. Look at any SUV on the road today you cant get a manual in most of them. Even the US army had to get autos when they designed the hummer because the recruits could'nt drive stick and were burning out the clutches on the jeeps/pick-up trucks. If you want a stick TOY you can get them overseas so just import the ride you want. But lets get a letter campaign going and flood 'yota with them they might at least make them available to order. Cheers aviator
Old 08-06-2003, 04:47 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
most people never learn how to drive a stick properly leading to lots of warrenty work and unwarrented complaints about build quality

My insurance agent was telling me one time that he stopped buying clutches because he couldn't get more than 40K out of a clutch. I offered him driving lessons...My Corolla has 251K on the original clutch.
Old 08-06-2003, 06:59 AM

There is an online petition that I signed almost a year ago stating the exact thing as gwhayduke said. I just can't remember where it is. This is the main reason I'm keeping my 94 over getting a double cab... no 5 spd. They aren't built as well and no stick shift. WTF is up with that. I thought a few had converted to manual transmissions in the double cabs on TTORA, but can't search old threads. Has anyone heard of converting from a auto to manual in the new d-cabs? I don't see why it couldn't be done if there are 3.4/5-spd combos in Runners and Tacomas.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
I spoke to the dealer about it when I got my first 4Runner, and he said that Toyota stopped offering them for the following reasons:

1. Only 10% of the 4Runner market in NA was buying stick, and
2. 50% of those buyers were in Colorado;
3. the last year for the stick was 2000

So for Toyota NA it was a marketing issue: why sell a vehicle that only 10% of the market was buying, and for less since they couldn't charge $800-$1000 more for an automatic? Plus they can say that since most 4Runners are used only for on-road towing, sticks aren't any good since you have to keep revving the engine every time you shift. That last point is true b.s.; how many long haul truckers use an automatic in their big rigs? If you know how to drive a stick properly, you won't damage anything and be able haul your load a little more easily.

Bottom line: marketing move aimed at lazy Americans and getting more money.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:34 PM

Big rigs are hardly made in automatic because they cost too much and when you learn to drive one in order to get your cdl, they teach the standard transmission.

Yeah this stinks, I don't really like the new 4runner, but if I did i wouldn't get it cause I hate driving automatic. But with soccer moms and small people(it's a psychological thing) moving away from minivans to SUVs, the market is changing.

No Stick = as much as i love them no more toyota for me... i liked the nissan pathfinder, but yeah that's all auto now too...

American market stinks... the rest of the world likes manual... automatic transmission is like a disease... my friend had an automatic corvette... I no longer have any respect for him...

end point,
Reasons to drive manual: Cheaper, lots more fun to drive, more control over the car, impresses the ladies.

Reasons to drive auto: You don't know how to drive stick.
Old 08-06-2003, 01:42 PM
Contributing Member

Agreed on most points, except that automotic is easier in city traffic, which is the only reason I own one.
Old 08-06-2003, 07:17 PM

A lot of people say that, but I still prefer manual. DCs rated like 2nd in traffic so I'm no stranger to traffic especially living around the 95/495/395 interchange. I think it might be cause I push on the footrest and my hand twitches like it's going to shift. It could also be that i associate an automatic with not so fun cars. Sedans.
Old 08-06-2003, 08:05 PM

Originally posted by Scruff

Reasons to drive manual: Cheaper, lots more fun to drive, more control over the car, impresses the ladies.
Especially if you know how to properly downshift; stop without ever using the brakes... I especially agree about more car control. Let off the brakes and you don't start pulling into an intersection, or if you did a bad park job, stick the clutch in and roll back then accelerate and you're in (if there is a slight incline)... No need for reverse. Automatics should only be in muscle cars of old. I was disgusted to see WRX's in auto
Old 08-06-2003, 08:06 PM

Ok, so most of the NA market is lazy and uncoordinated. There is still no valid reason that you shouldn't be able to order a manual like any other kind of upgrade or option, just like paint color. If no one can find that online petition, I might be able to get one going next week sometime when I return home.
Old 08-06-2003, 10:51 PM
Banned

I want a minivan with a 5 speed. Why don't they make those?

Oh yeah... My shifting hand will be busy beating my stepchildren while driving. Insurance dosen't cover that.
Old 08-07-2003, 04:54 AM
Contributing Member

This is the best link I can find for emailing Toyota Corporate. Let them know what you think. Ask for that lovely 3.0 turbo, intercooled diesel that gets about 30 mpg throughout the rest of the world also.

Contact Toyota

I sent it to Toyota Sales.
Old 08-07-2003, 12:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
nah, automatics don't belong in muscle cars ...well, maybe 1/4 mile runners, but i'd take a rock crusher 4 speed any day!

and i think some old dodge caravans were 4 or 5 speed sticks, back in the 80s when they were first introduced
Old 08-07-2003, 01:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by jx94148
Actually, they did make those.

Remember this piece of crap?

They actually put 5 speeds in these junkers, which were made by Getrag, and could be mated to the 2.5 mitsubishi engine, even a turbo was available.

Here is some high-quality reading about Chrysler 5-speeds if anyone cares.
Old 08-07-2003, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

Now there's a fine example of quality American engineering...NOT!

Old 08-07-2003, 01:50 PM

I agree that the autotrans is just a convenience/lazyness item. But with all the electronic controlgadget liekof hill decent etc on the new runners, is it possible to add a manual trans in there anymore?
C
Old 08-07-2003, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

Repeat after me...simpler is better...less to break down...less of my money in a service-writer's boat...

Now email Toyota!
Old 08-07-2003, 02:08 PM

Originally posted by jx94148
My dad has a Ford Aerostar with a 5 speed. I think it's a 1994. I have never seen another Aerostar with the 5 speed.
Old 08-07-2003, 02:20 PM

Yep 2000. I just bought one. The only reason why I didn't buy a new Runner is because I did not want an Auto. I tried to import a Prado from Central America. They still offer a 5 Speed.

Quick Reply: 5 spd manual - not!!!