95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2003, 05:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: .

Originally posted by MellamoPOUND
ok, so I am getting pretty serious about buying this. I only have 2 weeks to buy it and sell my cr-v, beacuse I go home to New Orleans for winter break on the 21st!!! I might just have to wait until january if it doesnt already sell by then. So, I am still a little worried about the 90k miles. I guess, I am not worried that it will break down, but that when I want to sell it again in a few years, it wont be worth anything, unless I replace all kinds of stuff. But, I guess you guys say to go for it.... yikes!!!
the resale on the runner will be alot higher than that CRV! besides, even if the runner is a POS, it's still going to be better than the CRV. I guess you'd expect that bias opinion on a yota forum, hehe.
Old 11-09-2003, 05:51 PM

well after talking with my dad for many days, he finally gave me a definite NO. WOW, i am pissed off!! He said I have to complete my first year at DU then if my grades are good, he will let me buy one. But, I guess I would have to build it myself, becuase i sure as hell wont be able to find one like this again for such a good price. Back to off-roading with my dam CR-V again, maybe I will just take it to MOAB and flip it. I dunno, thanks for all you help though. Later!
Old 11-09-2003, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Re: .

well after talking with my dad for many days, he finally gave me a definite NO. WOW, i am pissed off!! He said I have to complete my first year at DU then if my grades are good, he will let me buy one. But, I guess I would have to build it myself, becuase i sure as hell wont be able to find one like this again for such a good price. Back to off-roading with my dam CR-V again, maybe I will just take it to MOAB and flip it. I dunno, thanks for all you help though. Later!
sorry to hear that. tell you what though, now you have a goal. lots of people go through life not setting goals and end up never reaching their dreams. ya-da-ya-da-ya-da.

Keep hangin' out here even though you don't have a runner because it'll keep your thirst for a toyota. but you can look at one plus, it give you some time to let the price for them to come down a bit and by then you might find a more perfect deal.
Old 11-09-2003, 08:30 PM
Contributing Member

And the longer you hang around here and read all the stuff on here the more knowledge you will build about what you really want and need and that way when you go to buy one you will know what to look for...so you don't get ripped off.

I wish I had done that before I bought my 4R...I know more about Toyota's now than I ever thought I could learn!!!

Fink
Old 11-13-2003, 09:38 PM

hahaha

hey, just when i gave up all hope on buying the 4runner after my parents said no, we had a big talk and they finally said yes under a few coditions. First I have to get a mechanic to look at it. Second, I can't buy it until January, which is when i will return to Denver. And finally, I have to get the price down, even though I am paying for it with my own money. SOOOO I looked at the kbb price on it, including the custom bumper winch and bigger tires, and it came up to be around $13,500. He was asking 17!!! Is kbb wrong or is his price wayyy to much? How much should it cost per year to upkeep this since it is getting kinda old? Thanks for your help! Larry
Old 11-14-2003, 11:39 AM
Contributing Member

Re: hahaha

since it is getting kinda old? Thanks for your help! Larry
You don't know toyota's do you? a '98 right now is in its infancy.

about the price, were you looking at resale or trade-in? you need to be looking at the private sale or resale value.

and, I'm glad your parents wised up .

Last edited by keisur; 11-14-2003 at 11:41 AM.
Old 11-14-2003, 12:30 PM
Contributing Member

i see that car everyday driving down university. it looks real nice and when iv seen the guy driving it he gives me a little nod. id say get it it IS FOR SALE like the sign on it sasy. ill tryto take some pics of it tommorow for you
Old 11-14-2003, 01:37 PM

hey, i went over to look at the 4runner again today. It went kinda bad. First, he was originaly asking 17, now he is asking 18!! And, he doesnt want to give away the second pair of tires or the ski box. Then i found out he has never serviced his coilovers. I also realized that the back end is sagging. I am starting to think I should build one on my own. But, I dunno. If anyone ever see's a 4runner with the rear locker for sale online on in denver, please let me know! Thanks a lot! Larry
Old 11-14-2003, 02:06 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Mellamo,

There are two of them over at Stevinson West Toyota in Golden, a 2000 Limited with 53K miles and a white 99 SR5 5spd with 64k miles. The 99 is marked down to $17,988 and you can haggle them lower. I'd go for the 99 as it is a rare car and few will buy it as its a stick shift, so I'd bet that they'd be willing to let it go for a lower price. I was out there on Tuesday and they were both sweet trucks, both parked in front of the north side of the dealership.

Good luck in your hunt, hope this helps.
Old 11-14-2003, 02:13 PM
Contributing Member

Go with that '99 that morrison suggested...that sounds like a NICE one, and he is right. That is definately rare!

Just my $.02, don't go spend it all in one place now!

Fink
Old 11-14-2003, 02:23 PM

hey, thats awesome, thanks for the info! The thing is, is that i cant buy one until January, because i go home for winter break in a week. Hopefully they will still be for sale! Thanks again!
Old 11-14-2003, 02:39 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Home: Aurora, CO; Work: The People's Republic of Denver
Dude,

Go over there, look at it and get some pics to show the folks on line. Tell them what a rare find it is and that this truck is what you've been fantasizing about since birth! Seriously, explain to them that this is a great value for the money and that you shouldn't pass it up, especially at that price in Denver. Plus you know that it has been serviced and inspected for damage/recalls/etc., unlike a private party seller. Plus you do what you want to the truck, not what someone else has done. Its a sweet ride; I'd do them myself except that I have too much invested in my '01 and my fiance would kill me!
Old 11-14-2003, 03:53 PM

Re: hahaha

I think 17K are a bit too high because some aftermarket stuffs might be wearing out a bit and not count for the value. Suppose if I were a buyer, I would make an offer starting at 12K to 14K max. Otherwise, the seller won't be able to sell for 17K very quickly unless he found a sucker willing to pay more.

Mine is '98 model I bought brand new, and already over 156K miles (20% off road trip) with two minor unscheduled repairs – starter’s electrical contacts replaced (burnout) at 120K, and water pump replaced (bad seal - very small leak) at 147K. The rest of anything else is still original except suspension upgrade.

If you consider buying your dream rig, be sure to ask him about the timing belt replacement done as required every 90K (check a proof of service record). I know it is hard to pass up.

Good luck.
Old 11-14-2003, 09:25 PM
Contributing Member

I think $17000 is too much. If I were you, I won pay that kinda money. It really depends on what you are looking for. I just bought mine , a 96 sr5 with 86000 miles for $8700. I enjoy the process of building up my rig. Check around especially on Ebay, the other day I missed one for $12000, a 2000 SR5 with only 27000. You sure gonna enjoy your 4runner. I am crazy about mine, in fact I just got back from Colorado with my 4runner too. Good luck!!!