Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd gen fuel gauge problem: I think I figured out the problem (pics)

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ringmaster what did it do for you exactly? Did the gas gauge start to read correctly? How many gallons were left when the gas light came on?

I just did it tonight, I'll update in a few days.
Old 06-27-2006, 11:51 PM

My gas gauge dropped like a rock from full to 1/2 tank, then it stabilized and dropped slowly to the empty side.

After I did the dealio with the trip meter button, the gauge acts entirely normal now, 172 miles from full to 1/2, and seem's to drop normally.
Old 06-28-2006, 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by norflaballer
i didn't read every post exactly

but walking through advanced auto parts one day to get some fuel injector cleaner.... I saw a bottle in w/ the cleaners that was called fuel sensor cleaner. You pour it in ur tank like fueld injector cleaner and fill the tank and it's suppose dto clean up the sensor.. I forget who made it but i know it has a picture of a fuel sensor on it (like the little array of lines.

I am gonna go back to advanced next week and check it out... maybe pick up a bottle, b/c i am having some fuel guage problems.

--Jared
norflaballer,

did you get a chance to use the fuel sensor cleaner yet? if so, does it work?
Old 06-28-2006, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
My gas gauge dropped like a rock from full to 1/2 tank, then it stabilized and dropped slowly to the empty side.

After I did the dealio with the trip meter button, the gauge acts entirely normal now, 172 miles from full to 1/2, and seem's to drop normally.
Thank you, I did notice on the drive in to work this morning that my gas gauge is still on 3/4 of a tank. My drive in is about 52 miles, so time will tell if the reset fixed my problem.
Old 06-28-2006, 06:28 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000t4r
Thank you, I did notice on the drive in to work this morning that my gas gauge is still on 3/4 of a tank. My drive in is about 52 miles, so time will tell if the reset fixed my problem.
Keep us updated because it had people baffled before and it would be great if the fix were as simple as that.
.....still makes you wonder what was the true cause of the issue the fix hopefully solves.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 06-28-2006 at 06:30 AM.
Old 06-28-2006, 07:19 AM

Location: Far western Kentucky (transplanted from central PA)
WOW! I hadn't heard of the trip meter thingy... Where'd THAT come from?!?!

The dealer did the TSB back when I bought my '00 truck used in '02, so I'm ok but I'm impressed that someone found this "fix"!!!
Old 06-30-2006, 12:28 PM

*UPDATE*

I did the reset earlier this week and when I filled up today once the gas light came on, I was only able to put in 13.xxx gallons. What I did notice is that the gas gauge is alot more stable. While driving home I did notice the it still moves off of full quick, but not as quick as before.

I think I will still drop the gas tank in the future and replace the sending unit so that the gas light will come on with approx 2 gallons left in the tank.

Hope this answers some questions.
Old 01-30-2008, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by Unhappy99

2) Fuel gauge reads erradic. Caused by a faulty levelling circuit on the #3 dash panel PCB. Fixed by replacing this PCB. Somewhere I've read that the levelling circuit can be hacked and the gauge work properly, although the details of what precisely got hacked are vague. If you remove the dash panel, the levelling sensor itself is the white plastic thingy mounted on the back side with 3 small wires connecting to the gauge PCB.
Thread resurrection!

I'm thinking this stupid sensor might somehow be my problem.

My fuel gauge over the last couple of months has become very erratic. When I first start my 4runner it will read empty for a couple minutes and then come up to the proper level. Sometimes it will leave the low fuel light on (just for a couple of minutes) when the gauge is at half a tank (after coming up to the proper fuel level). I initially thought something might have come unplugged behind the gauge cluster as that is where my FTC resides. The gauge cluster kind of pushed up against the FTC pretty hard. I've since repositioned the FTC and there isn't any pressure anymore but my Fuel gauge is all wacked out still. Usually after driving about 5 miles it begins working accurately. Anyone else think I should replace the leveling sensor on my 2000 4runner?

Josh
Old 09-09-2008, 12:51 AM

I was just given my brother's '99 4runner. It had basically been sitting for 5 years, only 36k on it. When I was getting it up and going again, I brought it into a local shop, where they dropped and inspected the inside of the tank. They also replaced the intank fuel pump and fuel filter.

Now, I have the fuel gauge problem!

About 80% of the time, the gauge is reading empty with the fuel light on - regardless of how much fuel I put in it.

The rest of the time it reads under 1/4 tank. One of two times, it has given the right level if I turn it from OFF to ON about 10 times.

I am wondering if the shop did something screwy that messed up the fuel sender when they dropped the tank? Is this possible? Like not hooking something back up properly?

I am going to try the calibration scheme tomorrow and see if that does anything.

Update: Tried the calibration, and no change at all. Fuel gauge shows empty with light on.

Last edited by Jasz; 09-09-2008 at 01:21 AM.
Old 09-09-2008, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by dragr1
I have the fuel ligh coming on with 4-5 gallons left problem. I think the sending units are pretty expensive, I guess I'll just live with mine.
it is supposed to come on with 4.5 gallons left
or about +- 100 miles to go
Old 09-09-2008, 08:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
On my 97' 4runner its about a little over 2 gallons left.Or about 50 miles.Sounds pretty standard for toyotas,I am sure there will be more or less depending on the fuel take size and range on some of there vehicals....I would guess 10-15% of tank size for reserve after light comes "on".
Old 09-10-2008, 11:39 PM

Would there be a possibility when the shop dropped my tank, and replaced the pump that they might of done something to the sender to cause it to go out of whack?
Old 09-11-2008, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Jasz
Would there be a possibility when the shop dropped my tank, and replaced the pump that they might of done something to the sender to cause it to go out of whack?
Sure, they could have bent it or didn't reconnect something properly. Have them fix it.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:53 AM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
my light doesn't work...
Old 11-04-2008, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ringmaster
Heres a TSB I found on Alldata,

Electrical EL010-99 99 & 00 4Runner

Vehicle has to be sitting on a level surface with an inclination of +/- 0.5 degrees.

1.With the ignition switch in the Off position, press and hold the trip speedometer reset button.
2. Continue pressing the reset button while turning the ignition switch to the On position.
3. Within 5 seconds of turning the ignition switch On, release the trip switch, press trip switch 3 times and on the 3rd press, hold the switch for 5 seconds. The buzzer will sound for 1 second at 800HZ.
4. After the buzzer stops, release the trip switch.
5.Press the trip switch one more time and hold for 5 seconds. Once more the buzzer will sound for 1 second at 800HZ.

Worked like a charm on mine, hopefully it will work on yours too!
Can I try this on my 97 that has a problem or do 99-01's have digital trip odometers?
Old 11-04-2008, 08:22 PM

My 99 limited's gauge is ok until 1/4 full and them it stays there until it runs out of fuel. Any suggestions?
Old 11-05-2008, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

There was also apparently a third problem this thread neglected to mention. It also effects the accuracy of the gas gauge on these vehicles and was part of the original problem. Apparently the tube that caused the gas pump to cut off is too long so it sends gas back up and shuts off the pump before the tank is full. Some of you may have noticed that if you run completely out of gas, it will only take 16.1-16.5 gallons to fill it up and it is supposed to take a little over 18.5 gallons.

I had this problem on my new 2000 (bought in Sept 1999). I returned it several times...they replaced the 3rd board, which resets the odometer also, and the sending unit. My gauge would always fall from full to 1/2 in about 30 miles. I re-calibrated mine by sitting it on a hill to fake it out and make it think there was more gas in it than there was. It made it more accurate, but I have never been able to fill it up. I have run out of gas 3 times in this vehicle.

The TSB came out after I had given up on Toyota fixing it and I did not find it until my warranty was up. I fought a little with them, even sighting it as a safety issue since I once ran out with my pregnant wife in the car on a subfreezing day. They refused to fix the problem and I was tired of dealing with it....I have just learned to live with the problem. It still pisses me off though!
Old 11-05-2008, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

I tried resetting my gauge with no luck, hopefully i will have some tim efriday to drop the tank/ clean the sending unit sensor
Old 11-06-2008, 06:28 AM

i change my sending unit in tank and every thing is perfect now, i was dropping the tank to install a 190 fuel pump any ways. It is great to have a gauge that works right.
Old 11-06-2008, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by nieuwendyk-25
There was also apparently a third problem this thread neglected to mention. It also effects the accuracy of the gas gauge on these vehicles and was part of the original problem. Apparently the tube that caused the gas pump to cut off is too long so it sends gas back up and shuts off the pump before the tank is full. Some of you may have noticed that if you run completely out of gas, it will only take 16.1-16.5 gallons to fill it up and it is supposed to take a little over 18.5 gallons.
This is the one that I suffer from.. Anyone know how to fix this one? I would love to be able to get all 18 gallons out of my tank.

I've been so confused why i can only squeeze 16 gallons out of the pumps when my gauge says EMPTY... Everyone says 18 gallons, the owners manual says 18 gallons... yet the pump allows for maybe 16gallons if i'm on fumes...

Now I know...

Quick Reply: 3rd gen fuel gauge problem: I think I figured out the problem (pics)