Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

300+ Horsepower??

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2003, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 300+ Horsepower??

I was randomly searching autotrader.com for TOYOTA's; I was bored.

Anways, I came across an add that took me by surprise.

Here's what the listing had to say:

1996 TOYOTA TACOMA - 4x4, extra cab, V6, super charged, 5 spd, 6" lift, 33" tires, aluminum rims, green w/gray int, K&N cold ac intake, 300+ horse pwr, 80K mi, $8900
What took me by surprise is in bold.

300 plus horsepower with a SUPER CHARGER??

Is that possible??

In case you're interested, here's the link.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Re: 300+ Horsepower??

Originally posted by KING

300 plus horsepower with a SUPER CHARGER??

Is that possible??

In case you're interested, here's the link.
Sure its possible. Question is, can they back up that claim with solid data?

Did they dyno the truck? Is that the crank or at the wheels...that kinda stuff. Someone should give him a call and see what he has to say.
Old 06-06-2003, 08:49 PM

Re: Re: 300+ Horsepower??

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
Sure its possible. Question is, can they back up that claim with solid data?

Did they dyno the truck? Is that the crank or at the wheels...that kinda stuff. Someone should give him a call and see what he has to say.
I'd be willing to give him a call, but unfortunately, my knowledge on this subject, doesn't extend all that far.

Last edited by KING; 06-06-2003 at 08:51 PM.
Old 06-07-2003, 06:32 AM

I'm willing to bet that guy's knowledge doesn't extend all that far, either.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:08 AM
Contributing Member

It's simple. He just added up all the numbers he found.

220 base hp + 15 for the intake + 65 for the supercharger... He didn't figure that those numbers were not true.

Anyone that posts HP and means it, will say it was on a dyno. (ie. at the rear wheels, or at the crank)

Nice looking truck. It's out here in AZ also. Maybe we should go take it for a spin?

Dan
Old 06-07-2003, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
K&N cold ac intake, someone should ask him about that to cause I've read about this setup on F-150 and it does produce more hp just have the AC blowing cold air into your intake, or maybe it was a mistype error or something.

Now that we use a non flamable gas/liquid for the AC we don't have to worry about blowing ourselves up if their is a leak in the system
Old 06-07-2003, 12:59 PM

asudan96Runner:
Where'd you come up with the 220 base horsepower. Hes selling a 96 Tacoma V6 = 183 HP.
Old 06-07-2003, 01:59 PM
Contributing Member

Actually..i think the base HP for a tacoma is 190 hp whereas a 4runner's base HP is/was 183. Same engine and all but thats what each supposedly put out.
Old 06-07-2003, 02:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by prolax13
asudan96Runner:
Where'd you come up with the 220 base horsepower. Hes selling a 96 Tacoma V6 = 183 HP.
He made up the difference with TRD stickers...
Old 06-07-2003, 04:16 PM

Originally posted by heliax
There is no comparison in ours.

If he believed that he actually got 300 horsepower by adding the SC and the "AC COLD AIR INTAKE", then it's evident his knowledge is misguiding him.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:08 PM

Hey, I have an idea, let's find him and kill him. Then we can skin him and dance around in a suit made from his skin that we skinned off of him.
Old 06-07-2003, 07:10 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by heliax

300 horsepower is not all that crazy... at the crank. Now, if he is saying 300+ at the wheels then he is crazy.
Old 06-07-2003, 09:11 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by prolax13
asudan96Runner:
exactly what I was thinking, then I thought, man I musta got ˟˟˟˟˟ed by the dealer because mine only pumps 183! now, I know I didn't get screwed so...

Originally posted by Los Gatos?
Hey, I have an idea, let's find him and kill him. Then we can skin him and dance around in a suit made from his skin that we skinned off of him.
Oye Vato,
Can I get some of that herb you are smoking?

Originally posted by tomus1000

300 horsepower is not all that crazy... at the crank. Now, if he is saying 300+ at the wheels then he is crazy.
especially seeing as how he said nothing of regearing after the big tires. he definately belongs at a stealership because he seems to know about as much as a toyota salesman about the vehicle.

Last edited by keisur; 06-07-2003 at 09:17 PM.
Old 06-07-2003, 10:28 PM

300+ HP

Hey all-

Just for the records, 300+ at the crank is very possible, and it would not be going too far to say that 300 at the rear wheels asuming a 15% loss is possible as well. I now have an 03' V-8 4-Runner, and just sold my Lightning, but had a 99' Tacoma that was as tuned as you could get. Along with the TRD blower I added a high performance cat, bored it out, and ran a single pipe straight out the back. I had my ECU reprogrammed by a place in Cali to run fairly lean under high octane fuel, and was able to push my boost pressure up to almost 11 lbs. I changed the upper pulley on the blower (the overdrive one), added a K&N Cold Air intake which was modified to come through the lower passenger side blinker, and also had a supra intercooler added to bring the temps way down and the HP up. Spark plugs were replaced with denso iridiums, a helix power tower was added. That is as much as I can remember at this point. Oh yeah, I also added a JDM power cooler to keep the intake and motor temps down as well. Anyway...I figured I was @ around 380 HP at the crank, and I dynoed out a 321 @ the rear wheels with no correction what so ever. I can't say that any of this was in any way cheap, but it was probably the fastest 4wd extended cab toyota ever assembled. Even with 265/70's on 17 inch Konig Wheels (about 31.6 X 10.4 inches in overall tire diameter and width...noticeably larger than 31's) I was still able to run 0-60 in around 6 flat and my best in the quarter was 13.8 @ 103. I also had the TRD headers. The truck has since been lifted by the girl I sold it to and is running 33 inch MIckey's and still hauls ass. I will be completely honest and say that I should have probably hooked up an air/fuel ratio gauge, but the truck is still running stong with the only replacement being a new belt for the blower @ about 50,000 miles...and it was a gen II supercharger. I also designed my own boost bypass. Enough of that...just wanted to say that it can be done. I will easily get my new V-8 Runner to well over 400 hp at the crank with a TRD blower, exhaust, some reprogramming of the ECU, again boring out the cats, and an intake system that is still in the works. Nitrous will also be added at a later date, as well a a much stiffer suspension and new slotted discs and pads. I have just finished paying it off and put wheels and tires on it last week. Put on another set of Konig Tremor 17's with 275/70R17 Goodyear AT/S's. They are big, and I had to remove the front mud flaps cause they were rubbing pretty bad...just barely scrape now. Only seems to rub on the drivers side when the wheel is turned sharply to the left. The tires measure 32.1 x 10.8 inches, and i can guarantee you can go no bigger without a lift. But they look so so much better than the stock 265/65R17's which are pretty damn small. I'll keep y'all posted on the progress. I'm finishing my stereo now with the addtion of two 10W7's and then am going to begin saving for the $3900 TRD blower. Sorry for the long post. Good luck guys.

Anthony
Old 06-07-2003, 11:13 PM

Re: 300+ HP

Originally posted by edwardvedder6971
Hey all-

Just for the records, 300+ at the crank is very possible, and it would not be going too far to say that 300 at the rear wheels asuming a 15% loss is possible as well. I now have an 03' V-8 4-Runner, and just sold my Lightning, but had a 99' Tacoma that was as tuned as you could get. Along with the TRD blower I added a high performance cat, bored it out, and ran a single pipe straight out the back. I had my ECU reprogrammed by a place in Cali to run fairly lean under high octane fuel, and was able to push my boost pressure up to almost 11 lbs. I changed the upper pulley on the blower (the overdrive one), added a K&N Cold Air intake which was modified to come through the lower passenger side blinker, and also had a supra intercooler added to bring the temps way down and the HP up. Spark plugs were replaced with denso iridiums, a helix power tower was added. That is as much as I can remember at this point. Oh yeah, I also added a JDM power cooler to keep the intake and motor temps down as well. Anyway...I figured I was @ around 380 HP at the crank, and I dynoed out a 321 @ the rear wheels with no correction what so ever. I can't say that any of this was in any way cheap, but it was probably the fastest 4wd extended cab toyota ever assembled. Even with 265/70's on 17 inch Konig Wheels (about 31.6 X 10.4 inches in overall tire diameter and width...noticeably larger than 31's) I was still able to run 0-60 in around 6 flat and my best in the quarter was 13.8 @ 103. I also had the TRD headers. The truck has since been lifted by the girl I sold it to and is running 33 inch MIckey's and still hauls ass. I will be completely honest and say that I should have probably hooked up an air/fuel ratio gauge, but the truck is still running stong with the only replacement being a new belt for the blower @ about 50,000 miles...and it was a gen II supercharger. I also designed my own boost bypass. Enough of that...just wanted to say that it can be done. I will easily get my new V-8 Runner to well over 400 hp at the crank with a TRD blower, exhaust, some reprogramming of the ECU, again boring out the cats, and an intake system that is still in the works. Nitrous will also be added at a later date, as well a a much stiffer suspension and new slotted discs and pads. I have just finished paying it off and put wheels and tires on it last week. Put on another set of Konig Tremor 17's with 275/70R17 Goodyear AT/S's. They are big, and I had to remove the front mud flaps cause they were rubbing pretty bad...just barely scrape now. Only seems to rub on the drivers side when the wheel is turned sharply to the left. The tires measure 32.1 x 10.8 inches, and i can guarantee you can go no bigger without a lift. But they look so so much better than the stock 265/65R17's which are pretty damn small. I'll keep y'all posted on the progress. I'm finishing my stereo now with the addtion of two 10W7's and then am going to begin saving for the $3900 TRD blower. Sorry for the long post. Good luck guys.

Anthony

I don't have time now, but I'll have fun pointing out all the holes in this post tomorrow.

The short version ~ you are full of $#@$ sir.

Sorry.
Old 06-07-2003, 11:24 PM

Re: Re: 300+ HP

Originally posted by PhxTRDRunner
I don't have time now, but I'll have fun pointing out all the holes in this post tomorrow.

The short version ~ you are full of $#@$ sir.

Sorry.

Be gentle Ralph
Old 06-08-2003, 01:29 AM

Re: 300+ HP

Originally posted by edwardvedder6971
Hey all-

Anthony
Attached Images  
Old 06-08-2003, 08:07 AM

Mr. Ralph-

Nothing but the truth my friend. I can answer any questions you have about the truck and even go get a picture for you of it in its current state if you really care that much. Throw out any and all questions you have and they will be answered. Jealousy is a sad thing my friend...learn to accept others may just have a better ride than you from timt to time, and use them to better yours instead of instigate bull#*it arguements. Bring the heat.

Anthony
Old 06-08-2003, 08:09 AM

Addition-

And the ECU is also referred to as a PCM depending on your lingo and the vehicle you are modding. In other words i'm talking bout the one behind the glove box. Peace.

Anthony
Old 06-08-2003, 08:19 AM

Anthony- how did you have the supra intercooler set-up? I'm confused because the TRD blower sits on the lower intake. As far as I know, it is not possible to use an intercooler to any effective means. Also, what is a JDM power cooler? Thanks

Quick Reply: 300+ Horsepower??