Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.4 Custom Alki Injection Install

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-2006, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4 Custom Alki Injection Install

Just got the system wired up today, i will post pictures in a few days once i get a hold of my camera. PM me for information if your thinking of doing it yourself. Im looking to get a good tune on the new setup by late next week once i can get the wideband O2 back up and running. Anyone have a setup of their own?
Old 12-12-2006, 09:10 PM
Contributing Member

I assume you are referring to alcohol injection? I don't know of anyone using this that is N/A.

A guy at work runs water injection on his 1500 Dodge. It consists of a mister jammed inside the intake running off his washer bottle.

Let's see your setup/results.
Old 12-12-2006, 09:19 PM

Originally Posted by SLC97SR5
I assume you are referring to alcohol injection? I don't know of anyone using this that is N/A.

A guy at work runs water injection on his 1500 Dodge. It consists of a mister jammed inside the intake running off his washer bottle.

Let's see your setup/results.
My setup is as follows: (Pics Soon)
I am using my windshield washer bottle on straight blue fluid that contains methanol. This feeds directly into a shurflo pump at approx 80 psi (could change depending on tuning results). This then feeds into a pressure gauge and then into an 800cc accumulator as to not run the pump as often. This is all 3/8" hose. Coming out of the accumulator is 4mm hose that runs to a high speed valve (essentially acts as a fuel injector) which is controlled by an aquamist FIA2. This mimics the fuel injector signal and pulses in unison with the fuel injectors. This then flows into the nozzle (0.5 mm) mounted on a URD anodized aluminum throttle spacer where the it mists into the intake. Pump is run off of a 30 Amp relay as well as a master switch on the dash (Always wanted a missle switch for something!!)
Old 12-12-2006, 09:23 PM
Contributing Member

Nice work on getting the sig updated, it helps to see what you are running!

Uh, your setup is a bit better than my co-workers, I'm excited to see it.

Sounds awesome. And if you haven't already...Welcome to YT!!
Old 12-13-2006, 08:21 PM

All goes well, I will be dyno tuning tomorrow afternoon around 4. Hopeful to have some numbers by the weekend. The goal is 300 horse and 330 ft lbs... We will see how close we get. I have seen somewhere that the record for a stock internal 5VZ is around 303! I have no headers, so there went a lot of my top end!
Old 12-13-2006, 11:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
We know a guy around these parts named Dave (here as TRDOLMAN) who's got
at least the local (forum) prize for the most power from only external bolt-on mods. The run-down of his rig, and the latest dyno numbers are here:

http://www.customtacos.com/gallery2/...Mods_List3.JPG

He's sitting at 304.5rwhp/355ftlbs torque, ran a 14.24.

Go for it man!
(I'll be right behind you... )

Umm, what are you running for a fuel and timing controller?

Last edited by midiwall; 12-13-2006 at 11:28 PM.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:40 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool, be sure and let us know how the pump does. Why did you choose a .5mm nozzle? That's pretty small for 11 psi boost from what I understand. I'm trying .9mm for 10psi right now and my EGT is up to 1400 with that.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:18 PM

OK, got on the dyno today and had a minor issue with the injection pump, so i got that fixed but not in time. My runs were all off alcohol to give me some numbers to aim for. (244.6 HP/285.7 TQ) on 10.5 PSI premium fuel.

No currently running any timing controller due to my college monetary funds, but that is to come. I am running almost a setup with the same potential as your friend minus the headers. If i could afford them, you know i would have them. My pump is now set at 120 PSI on the pump and yes, i have a 0.5mm nozzle which i know is too small, but i found one laying around at a buddies that i could have for free, so thats a start. I have to shop around to find prices since i can't really afford anything, but when i graduate in MAY... This puppy is going to hold some records i swear. Im from about 20 minutes north of Baltimore and will be around for christmas break if anyone wants to make a day out of it and meet up somewhere.
Old 12-14-2006, 06:32 PM

OK, this may sound right dumb but i am curious as to where/how your washer fluid is hooked up? I guess its good to have speed, but if you cant see where your going...then lookout for you guys!haha
Old 12-14-2006, 08:59 PM

Since i do not ever wash my rear window, i pulled out the rear pump and used the hole from it to place my taped hole for the alki pump. It now allows my to feed my pump and separately continue to keep the front windshield clean!
Old 12-14-2006, 09:18 PM

ahhh the rear pump..right on, for sure a cool setup. was just curious about the whole visual and speed thing..haha.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:19 AM

Originally Posted by TRDatVT
No currently running any timing controller due to my college monetary funds, but that is to come.
Ummm... are you running any fuel controller????

If not, and if you're running 11psi (what pulley are you using?) then I will guarantee that you're leaning out up top. The methanol will richen things up a bit (thanks Dale), but at that boost you're still running way lean up top. And without a timing controller, you're pinging like an SOB as well.

Dude, you're gonna destroy that engine.

Last edited by midiwall; 12-15-2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 06:44 AM
Contributing Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by midiwall
Ummm... are you running any fuel controller????

If not, and if you're running 11psi (what pulley are you using?) and you're spraying meth, then I will guarantee that you're leaning out up top. Heck, you're running way lean even without the methanol. You're gonna destroy that engine.
Wouldn't the methanol richen up the ratio some Mark?
Old 12-15-2006, 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by mt_goat
Wouldn't the methanol richen up the ratio some Mark?
umm... lesse, you're cooling the air, making it denser... crap. Yeup, another 7am brain fart.

Thanks Dale... I'll edit my other post.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:03 AM
Contributing Member

Another thing to throw in there is that methanol has a very high octane rating (usually @120+, similar to ethanol) so when you mix it with gasoline you get a hybrid rating. So it may be possible to run alot more boost than normal without pinging since the fuel's octane rating was raised significantly. Only issue would be if you ran out of methanol and had to run on straight gas for any period of time to get home.

Last edited by MTL_4runner; 12-15-2006 at 11:06 AM.
Old 12-15-2006, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
Another thing to throw in there is that methanol has a very high octane rating (usually @120+, similar to ethanol) so when you mix it with gasoline you get a hybrid rating. So it may be possible to run alot more boost than normal without pinging since the fuel's octane rating was raised significantly. Only issue would be if you ran out of methanol and had to run on straight gas for any period of time to get home.
True... but then, his dyno runs yesterday were "all off alcohol to give {him} some numbers to aim for".

eeek.

Lemme just say....
Old 12-15-2006, 11:41 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by midiwall
True... but then, his dyno runs yesterday were "all off alcohol to give {him} some numbers to aim for".

eeek.

Lemme just say....
......let's just say an EGT probe would defintely come in handy.

Are you running one Mark?
Old 12-15-2006, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by MTL_4runner
......let's just say an EGT probe would defintely come in handy.

Are you running one Mark?
Oh yeah... And it happened to be on the cylinder that got torched!

That's part of what's confusing about why that happened, and why we're kinda' thinking it didn't come from anything that I did, or that I weakened the valve in the early days of the S/C and it finally gave way 40-50,000 miles later.
Old 12-15-2006, 08:02 PM

Newb off topic questions:

Is a 50/50 methanol water mix the best way to cool intake temps? Or is running straight methanol better? Which is better for the supercharger? Or does that not matter because it's over-spinning with the smaller pulley - which I assume will shorten the life anyway?

I currently have the 7th injector, 2.2" pulley, considering the 190LPH pump, the AIC, and a 2.1" pulley. Should methanol/water injection be at the top of the list? Does it make a noticeable difference? Not much of a tuner, if I get aquamist, I'd just get the most basic one that comes on at a set boost.

Sorry to thread jack. Thoughts would be appreciated.
Old 12-15-2006, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by QSVeilside
Newb off topic questions:

Is a 50/50 methanol water mix the best way to cool intake temps? Or is running straight methanol better? Which is better for the supercharger? Or does that not matter because it's over-spinning with the smaller pulley - which I assume will shorten the life anyway?

I currently have the 7th injector, 2.2" pulley, considering the 190LPH pump, the AIC, and a 2.1" pulley. Should methanol/water injection be at the top of the list? Does it make a noticeable difference? Not much of a tuner, if I get aquamist, I'd just get the most basic one that comes on at a set boost.

Sorry to thread jack. Thoughts would be appreciated.
Lotta questions in there, some that you didn't ask.

Running straight methanol won't "hurt" anything, but you'll get to a point of diminishing returns when you start looking at the cost of methanol. Also, methanol will ruin your paint, so running it diluted is a good thing. The general consensus that I found was to aim for a ratio of 25/75 (methanol/water). The blue washer fluid that's rated to -20 F and actually says "contains methanol" is about 30%.

If you decide to go higher in concentration, or actually run straight, keep in mind that methanol has a flash point of about 140F - that can be dangerous. Add water and it goes up to 500F or so.

If you just want to play with varying concentrations of methanol, then start mixing HEET (it's an octane booster in a yellow bottle) with one gallon of the blue washer fluid. Two bottles into a gallon will get you to about 43%.

The S/C doesn't really care... The methanol won't harm it.

Pulley wise, yeup the smaller pulley is spinning the S/C faster, hence giving you more boost, but the S/C is pretty sturdy in that regard. (are you running a 2nd gen or 1st gen S/C?) You should be figuring on rebuilding the nose at 50-60k anyway, just listen for the whine.

You should DEFINITELY get that Walbro in there. The pressure on the fuel rails is "fine" to compensate for the S/C with the 7th and the STOCK pulley, but your fuel demands will go up as you go to a smaller pulley. If you're going to drop to a smaller pulley, I STRONGLY urge you to add in some sort of an A/FR meter - even a cheap one that straddles your stock O2 sensor (I think the 2000's still have a narrow band O2 sensor). You REALLY need to keep an eye on the A/FR at WOT. If you don't, you're gonna burn that thing up.

The 7th was NOT designed to push enough fuel to cover the demands of anything but the stock pulley. That said, there are guys that are running the 7th with a 2.2" and it's fine, but if you go to a 2.1" or a 2.0" then you need to watch it. The guy I talked about above ("Dave") runs a 2.0" pulley with a 7th and doesn't have problems, but PLEASE spend the money to be able to be safe.

Does it make a difference? YES - the point behind running a spray is to lower the intake temps. When you do that, you can get more air into the cylinder, which means you can add more fuel, which means you'll get more power. I've heard varying numbers on just how much power you can expect, but I've been throwing around 30hp and no one's really balked at it. A lot will depend on fuel management, getting the spray right (you can spray too much), etc.

Should it be at the top of your list? Well, it depends on what you're looking for... Just power? Then yeah, methanol will get you more additional power than the pulley. But, in terms of cost, moving to the pulley (& the Walbro!) _first_ will be a better investment. If you don't like what you get from the 2.1" pulley, then you've only dropped $140 versus $600.

Last edited by midiwall; 12-16-2006 at 12:06 AM.

Quick Reply: 3.4 Custom Alki Injection Install