Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.0 with 3.4 power? Build up in progress - donations needed!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2004, 06:20 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I admire what you are doing. I enjoy watching your progress and I am learning alot by reading this. Keep it up.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:13 AM
Contributing Member

Another benefit of this opposed to a 7m-gte swap is it'll still run on cheapo gas. Which is a big plus in my book.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:18 AM

Swapping in a 3.4 is relatively easy. Even at a nice slow pace, you can count on a day to pull the old motor, a day to clean up prep and install the new motor, and another day of finalizing vacuum lines, wiring etc. You will need to do a few weeks of research though to be sure you have exactly what you need to make it all work flawlessly. We are in the process of swapping a 3.4 into an '89 4Runner and it has been very simple. We bought the truck in good condition with a blown head gasket for $900, picked up the 3.4 motor for about $2,000 and then picked up an ORS harness and accessory kit. We then found a used engine hoist for $50 and slapped it all together at home in my garage. It really doesn't get much easier than that. ORS' kit includes all Toyota factory parts and great instructions, Mike will gladly help you out over the phone with any issues you run into, he really knows these motors well. All we are waiting on is a replacement crank pulley for the one that was damaged in shipping and we can fire it up and drive away. If you have a 5-speed truck that already has a 3.0 there is no better way to get great power than a 3.4 swap... If you have an automatic or other potential obstacles, then maybe a performance hybrid/rebuild is the ticket, but I would probably buy a new truck at that point, be it a later model with a 3.4 already or a proper starting vehicle like our '89 for $900...

I did forget to mention that adapting the 3.4L crossover and exhaust will hold our project up for a few more weeks. But ORS should have those parts available for purchase within the next few months. You could also just route the exhaust down the passenger's side using the stock 3.4L crossover.

Last edited by SEAN_at_TLT; 08-12-2004 at 12:34 PM.
Old 08-12-2004, 11:27 AM

Originally Posted by Praufet
Personally just modding the existing motor is far less intimidating than swapping a new one in, and it'll be nifty to be one of the few people who has a modded out 3.0.
effectively all a 3.4 is, is a "modded" 3.0. It is the next step in the progression and since it shares the same bolt pattern for the motor mounts and bell housing it is really a "slam dunk" to install. Mechanically it is more simple to bolt in a 3.4 than to "mod" a 3.0 heavily internally. Especially considering that more people can bolt in a motor than can build a motor. Keep in mind that Toyota developed the 3.4 as a whole and this hybrid you guys are developing from various applications could well prove to be less reliable. I have over 156,xxx miles on my '96 4Runner and the motor is still running very strong even with a supercharger. I am a big fan of the 3.4 in case you can't tell.
Old 08-12-2004, 01:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ya but isn't the 3.4 alot more money than just scoring some 3ZE-FE heads and getting it running with those?
Old 08-12-2004, 02:17 PM
Contributing Member

the 3.4 engine itself is more than this entire project plus you'll need the swap kit and all the tools necessary. A lot of people seem to have a misconception about this project its not so much a hybrid. It's just a rwd version of the 3vz-fe. The 3vz-e and 3vz-fe are essentially the same engine. Its just that because the fe is a fwd car it won't exactly bolt up to a rwd vehicle. And all dan is doing is using free flowing intake components from the 5vz, I don't think that will really affect reliability. We'll all just have to wait and see how it all turns out :-D
Old 08-12-2004, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Praufet
the 3.4 engine itself is more than this entire project plus you'll need the swap kit and all the tools necessary. A lot of people seem to have a misconception about this project its not so much a hybrid. It's just a rwd version of the 3vz-fe. The 3vz-e and 3vz-fe are essentially the same engine. Its just that because the fe is a fwd car it won't exactly bolt up to a rwd vehicle. And all dan is doing is using free flowing intake components from the 5vz, I don't think that will really affect reliability. We'll all just have to wait and see how it all turns out :-D
I'm starting to like you. You totally understand every aspect of this project.

The engine is sitting on the floor out in the shop and will be going out with the '83 Celica engine in the morning (my dad's new project). I'm having the bottom end built at the machine shop and then doing the rest myself. That will ensure that I have a solid bottom end. I'm not in the Coast Guard anymore and don't have access to the tools that I need to feel confident in building that myself.

But anyway, for those with doubts about the reliability of this swap, it's exactly as Praufet stated....a RWD Camry engine. If you'd rather, you can use all Camy parts....heads, intake and exhaust. It's just easier to work with the 5VZ-FE intake.
Old 08-12-2004, 10:06 PM

Location: Bend, Oregon. 4mer Teufelhund, now a DoD Contractor
So if you have camry heads and you want to run headers, what options would be available? If the 3.4L intake manifold bolts right up then is it too much to hope for that 3.4L headers with bolt right up as well?
Old 08-13-2004, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by MODZILLA
So if you have camry heads and you want to run headers, what options would be available? If the 3.4L intake manifold bolts right up then is it too much to hope for that 3.4L headers with bolt right up as well?
From the little research that I did looking at aftermarket headers, no. The flange looks to be different. The on thing that I can see is that the ports look like they might line up. It could be a simple matter of buying a set, cutting the flange off, welding on a new one and running with it. 5VZ-FE headers are alot closer than 3VZ-E headers though if someone were going to go that route.

I'm just going to go with Camry manifolds for the initial build-up and for my write-up, so that it's just a matter of getting the parts and bolting them onto the new block. Of course, you'll have to be doing a rebuild to get the pistons in the block, but the other parts I want to be bolt-on.

I'll do more research on those headers when I get home later this evening to be sure. I do know that the Camry guys were trying to have headers made at one time. I'll look into that too.
Old 08-13-2004, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

even if they have camry headers I sincerely doubt a set of headers for a fwd car with have the same routing as a rwd truck, it'd be cool if they did though
Old 08-13-2004, 11:54 AM
Contributing Member

If you have a manual tranny and with all parts in hand such as the motor, wiring, ECU, adapter harness the 3.4L swap could easily be done in less than a week.

I think its cool to see someone trying new things but I still dont think a 3vz-fe will make as much power as a 5vz-fe

just my .02
Old 08-24-2004, 05:34 PM
DMG

How about an update?
Old 08-24-2004, 06:32 PM

I was just thinking about that today......my family is here, the engine is being built......rounding up the last few parts. Trying to locate a matched set of heads rather than the ones that I don't have I'm afraind that they maight have been worked on before and maybe one milled down some.....I just want to build this engine to last so that there aren't any problems. I hate to do all of this and it breakdown a few weeks later. It will look bad on me and this project.

I'm not sure about the timing belt though. The stock belt has 193 teeth, while the Camry belt has 191 teeth. I got this info from a guy on ebay which could be a good source for parts if you guys need parts to do this when I'm done. http://stores.ebay.com/PartsDinosaur...enameZl2QQtZkm

Once I get the engine in the truck or at least get to the point of installing the timing belt, I'll know more.
Old 08-24-2004, 06:44 PM

On a second note, does anyone need a water pump? I have an extra one.....brand new....if not, I'm going to sell it on ebay.
Old 08-24-2004, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dan_90SR5
On a second note, does anyone need a water pump? I have an extra one.....brand new....if not, I'm going to sell it on ebay.
How often should these be replaced? How diffcult is it to switch out? I may want to buy it.
Old 08-24-2004, 09:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Cebby
How often should these be replaced? How diffcult is it to switch out? I may want to buy it.
I did mine at 115K miles since it was recommended and the labor was much less since it was already taken apart.

Old 08-24-2004, 09:25 PM

Dan, I'll buy it - PM me.
Old 08-25-2004, 09:12 AM

Originally Posted by Cebby
Dan, I'll buy it - PM me.
I already got rid of it before I got your message, but I picked both up on ebay for alot cheaper than you can get them at the parts store. Check on ebay.......actually check out the timing kit that Parts Dinosaur has in his ebay store. It's recommended to replace both the idler and tension pulleys too, and if you go that far, you might as well replace the timing belt too. The kit is something like $150......the water pump alone is close to that much at the parts stores.

Just a thought.......would have hooked you up with that pump had I known sooner.

I might be getting rid of some Camry heads soon too if I can find a matched set. My source is looking into reman heads. I'm going to weigh out the cost of a matched used set and rebuild versus a reman set.
Old 08-25-2004, 02:15 PM
DMG

How about an update?
Old 08-25-2004, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by DMG
How about an update?
You asked for an update just days ago and I gave you one. I have family here from out of state and there is no work being done on the 4Runner last week or this week. The engine is in the machine being built. I'm trying to locate a set of heads that are either new or from the same engine rather than mixing and matching. I should get the engine back sometime next week and hopefully I can have the heads here about the same time.

I'll update the board with something worth while when I get the engine back and heads installed. Then I'll know something more about the timing belt. After that I'll install the engine and worry about the sensors.

Keep in mind this well most likely be in 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: 3.0 with 3.4 power? Build up in progress - donations needed!!