Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2nd Gen Airbox MOD!

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2003, 08:14 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up 2nd Gen Airbox MOD!

Was just going to recharge my K&N filter today but noooooooo just couldn't leave it at that had to Mod it!!! I've been doing some research in preparation for my ISR removal and came across Churnd's modified airbox. This was last nite and it sparked my interest so I emailed him. Well right about the time today I had the airbox all apart to clean it out and I took a break to check Yotatech and I had an email back from him with detailed pics of what he did to his airbox. He basically cut the whole bottom off it. I didn't get this radical but here's what I did do to mine.

Those are 1/4" holes and I only drilled where I did because that's the highest part of the airbox. Figured this would minimize my worries of water splashing up there. I don't do anthing deep enough to have to worry about it. I also removed the spoiler and the inner tube inside the airbox as shown here

I haven't tried it yet. The only reason I am posting this now is I had to find something to pass the time while my K&N dries. I kept wanting to pick it up and oil and stick it in so I can go and test it out which I will do shortly. I figure what I have done is safe because with a FIPK kit the filter is TOTALLY in the open with nothing to protect it. With this set up it still has alot of protection from splashing water and stuff. BTW for those who haven't changed your airfilter in a while take the time to do it and clean out the bottom of the airbox. I was amazed at home much crap was laying down there. Bugs, Leaves, twigs, ect ect. Your Runner will thank you for it! Alrighty it's out to oil the filter and put things back together. I will post in the next hour or two the results!
UK

Last edited by UKMyers; 05-07-2003 at 10:33 AM.
Old 05-07-2003, 09:10 AM
Contributing Member

i did this with my old 3.0, it helps, but nothing crazy
Old 05-07-2003, 09:54 AM
Contributing Member

Heres the results

Well after a little trip around town I am pleased with the results. Power increase is noticable but nothing to write home about by any means. Notice it the most in the low end side of things. The best part of this mod is the sound. The intake sounds awesome!! You can't hear it till the power comes in at about 3000 rpms and then it makes a nice growling sound! I think that removing the spoiler gave that result. Planning on putting some screen over the hole tomorrow and calling it good. If anyone is interested in doing this mod PM me and I'll give you the specifics. I could do a write up as well I guess. Looking forward to the ISR with this mod to see what that does.
Old 05-07-2003, 11:00 AM
Contributing Member

drill holes eh? interesting. no way to cover it up though

i would like more info on that. you should do a review and/or email me

thanks Joey!
Old 05-07-2003, 01:23 PM

Why take out the spoiler and the inner tube? what are you gaining from that other than an open hole? I cleaned out my airbox today and found a small hole already in the bottom so I may just add more holes so it's not lonely
Old 05-07-2003, 01:36 PM
Contributing Member

Why take out the spoiler and the inner tube? what are you gaining from that other than an open hole?
Well the spoiler basically makes it so your trying to suck air through the back of your headlight. There's no open source around it whatsoever except maybe what you can suck up from around the valance and grill. The big hole has the entire engine bay to get air from. I have no clue if the hole or the holes I drilled is what gave me the increase in performance but I am pretty sure it's the big hole that makes it sound so cool.
Old 05-07-2003, 01:48 PM
Contributing Member

Those few holes make a difference? I've replaced the entire airbox with an self build aluminum one with a large K&n filter. It helps only a tiny bit. Once I also fabricated some headers and a better exhaust it really matters a lot versus the stock one. If your running your original headers and exhaust I would strongly suggest replacing them. It gave me probably 20-30 very noticable extra horses and torque. The engine was much smoother and way more fun to drive. And fuel consumption wasn't much worse than it was before. Go figure1:pat:
Attached Thumbnails 2nd Gen Airbox MOD!-hood.jpg  
Old 05-07-2003, 03:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Hey Joey, sounds great. Good work. I always wondered if some kind of airbox mod could be done to 2nd Gens. I pm'ed you for the write up. Thanks.
Old 05-07-2003, 03:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 4runner4ever
Those few holes make a difference? I've replaced the entire airbox with an self build aluminum one with a large K&n filter. It helps only a tiny bit. Once I also fabricated some headers and a better exhaust it really matters a lot versus the stock one. If your running your original headers and exhaust I would strongly suggest replacing them. It gave me probably 20-30 very noticable extra horses and torque. The engine was much smoother and way more fun to drive. And fuel consumption wasn't much worse than it was before. Go figure1:pat:
Umm, your tube is not connected to the engine in you pic. That could be your problem... (j/k)
Old 05-07-2003, 06:24 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Cool! I looked at it and it looked pretty simple, so I went out and did it to my truck, it does sound pretty good at about 2300+ rpm. Thanks for the cool idea

Next thing I need, afetr seeing my K&N, is to clean and re-oil it too, lol.
Old 05-07-2003, 07:33 PM
Contributing Member

Hee Hee.. you think it sounds cool now?? Add a snorkel and that sound you describe now comes from the snorkel head.. Way cool with the window open on a nice day..
Old 05-07-2003, 07:41 PM

I just took out the spoiler thing, I haven't drilled any holes yet. The sound is cool. On the snorkel note, How does it hook up? can you do the Intake silenser removel mod with one? sorry to kinda change topics but I just thought of it.
Old 05-08-2003, 08:04 AM
Contributing Member

Went and played around on a couple of trails today I definitly have more torque. I can break the tires loose in 2nd Gear in dry dirt at a much lower RPM after like just lugging it and flooring it. Before it had to get up to like 3500 rpm before it had enough power to get the tires spinning. Almost had a disaster last nite out in my driveway though. I revved it a few times to hear my intake and then I really got on it and the throttle stuck wide open!!! Somehow it got under my mat. I have never ever had this happen. I got her shut down at about 6500 RPM's It was only there for about 1/2 a second so I am sure there's no damage done. My buddy used to do that on a daily basis with his old 3.0..haha
Old 05-08-2003, 08:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by UKMyers
Almost had a disaster last nite out in my driveway though. I revved it a few times to hear my intake and then I really got on it and the throttle stuck wide open!!! Somehow it got under my mat. I have never ever had this happen. I got her shut down at about 6500 RPM's
You were doing donuts in your driveway again weren't you. Those 31's will wear out fast enough - I know you are itching for 32's...
Old 05-08-2003, 08:25 AM
Contributing Member

Ya I am sure my neighbors hate me. There's a big fence between my driveway and their house but my driveway is about 45 feet long. I got her up 25 once before I had to lock em up...
Old 05-11-2003, 06:33 PM
Contributing Member

This little mod is definitely worth the 2 hours (including drilling out a sheared off radiator overflow bottle bolt ). I've noticed a little bit better power, responsiveness and definitely sounds a lot tougher from about 2750 RPM on up. It really growls and lets you know the 3.0 is at least trying its best.

Thanks Joey!!

Scott
Old 05-11-2003, 07:03 PM

Originally posted by OicnaiC
I just took out the spoiler thing, I haven't drilled any holes yet. The sound is cool. On the snorkel note, How does it hook up? can you do the Intake silenser removel mod with one? sorry to kinda change topics but I just thought of it.
Did you notice any change? Looks to me like those drilled holes will draw hot air from under the hood. At least removing the snorkel still lets outside air be drawn in that is coming in through the grill.
Old 05-12-2003, 03:55 AM
Contributing Member

Looks to me like those drilled holes will draw hot air from under the hood
The hole where the spoiler used to be and the holes in the airbox are about a whole 6 inches apart. They would both draw in air from under the hood. Even with the spoiler on your only sucking air from the back of the headlight and not straight on from the front. Having more air is better IMO regardless or not if it's hot. It's not like I'm running 400hp at 9000 rpms or something
Old 05-12-2003, 07:08 AM

Maybe you should drill three or so small holes in the lowest spot too, so if water does get in and collects there, it can drain out before you step on it and suck it down the intake. Just an idea....
Old 05-12-2003, 07:25 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the idea but the factory actually used their head and put on there for just that reason.

Quick Reply: 2nd Gen Airbox MOD!