Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2003 4runner interesting stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2003, 06:43 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally posted by kronicx
LOL, it's been forever since I opened that thing. When I was thinking about it, I thought it was deeper. I knew it was shallow. I guess if you folded your map in half it could fit. Maybe into thirds.

I'm sure people would complain about it if it were just solid, and couldn't open at all.
maybe if you burned it and just poured the ashes in there, that thing is useless.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:11 AM

Oh well I guess I have the electric ignition- I never noticed it before but I definitely don't have the side trays. It is all carpet back there. I wonder if it is a running change in the newer 4Runners? Possibly the ones without the package tray?

Originally posted by Richter624
Just an FYI: I have a V6 with both the side trays on the floor of the cargo area and the electronic start.

As for the flip out "convenience tray." I have no clue what the heck it is. So far, I've used it to pen out a check and as a nice "drum" for when a good tune is on. That's all I got.
Old 07-20-2003, 09:26 AM

Originally posted by JGage
I'd like to find a place that can do really nice, custom (read fabricate) stereo installs and have them remove that dish, build a frame, and install one of the Delphi XM radio controllers there.
I think it would look very nice and be the perfect place for one. Nobody around here could do it, but maybe a big city.
Now there is an idea...some of those controller units are not that big (deep)...maybe you could recess the controller in the existing bin...how hard can that be? Dremel out the mounting area, then fabricate a small mounting bracket on the back side and you are set....if you screw it up....buy another and put it back in place. No harm done.

I do like all of the neat things with the '03 especially the starter. But, I wish that 1) the rear 12v worked w/o needing to have the key turned on, 2) it would be nice if the remote lowered and raised the rear window, and 3) I could figure out where to tap into a 12v switched power source up by the homelink controller to stealth mount my V1. I considered running the cord down the A-pillar, but it contains airbags...probably not a good idea....and I don't like my radar detector always in the windshield anyway. Could the cig lighter be in any more inconvenient spot....maybe I can remount one in the "useless pocket"....how hard can that be?
Old 07-20-2003, 09:41 AM

Dude, that's a good idea.. I'm going to have to take measurements and check it out. Forget a bracket, just cut out space and epoxy it in. If you ever want to get rid of it, just buy a new pocket from Toyota.
The Delphi is pretty thin.
Old 07-20-2003, 10:32 AM

I started it up this morning but it really is a regular ignition. I have to twist it to start- no electric starting. Bummer.

Oh and someone told me the flip out center console tray is called the "burger tray".

Last edited by FirstToy; 07-20-2003 at 10:43 AM.
Old 07-20-2003, 11:16 AM

Even with the electric ignition, you still have to turn the key. Try this: after you've started your engine, turn the key again...it won't crank again.

The thing with our ignition is that you don't have to keep the key turned once it's you've done it for something like .2 seconds-the truck will take care of the rest...

i think that's how it works...
Old 07-20-2003, 11:16 AM

Originally posted by JGage
Dude, that's a good idea.. I'm going to have to take measurements and check it out. Forget a bracket, just cut out space and epoxy it in. If you ever want to get rid of it, just buy a new pocket from Toyota.
The Delphi is pretty thin.
Yea, if I remember, the delphi unit is about 3X4 and 1.5" deep....should be easy to fabricate...Is the delphi unit portable? Maybe you could fabricate it so you flip out the pocket, disconnect the wires and take it in the house with you.....Hmmmm...nice add-on for those who want a stock system but sat radio. I may have to play around with this a bit myself.
Old 07-20-2003, 12:35 PM

keisur,
I saw the pics on your website. Very nice 4Runners. I like the side by side comparison pics. It's really interesting the evolutionary design of the new 4Runner. The rear window on the older one looks bigger though!

Your wife looks so proud in her truck! It's fun to see a living body enjoying the truck in a picture once in a while!
It's good to see that the 4Runner inspires alot of loyalty!

Originally posted by keisur
mine does both the first 2 and has no Cancer Lighter or Lung Tray. We don't need them in our runners because we don't schmoke.
Old 07-20-2003, 02:05 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by FirstToy
keisur,
I saw the pics on your website. Very nice 4Runners. I like the side by side comparison pics. It's really interesting the evolutionary design of the new 4Runner. The rear window on the older one looks bigger though!

Your wife looks so proud in her truck! It's fun to see a living body enjoying the truck in a picture once in a while!
It's good to see that the 4Runner inspires alot of loyalty!
Thanks. the windows are larger. yea, she is proud. she won't even let me drive unless for some reason she can't. I get to pull it into the garage once in a while. but, I can't blame her, I drive my V6 all the time and when I get into her V8, I tend to floor the pedal a couple times while driving it, even from the bottom of the driveway into the garage. haha.
Old 07-21-2003, 01:41 AM
Contributing Member

Say Keisur, is there anything to the fact that the lawnmower is on her side of the garage? JK

I also checked out your web site, nice doggies! Oh, and your "cervesa mas fina" link isn't working, WTF
Old 07-21-2003, 07:14 AM

Don't laugh, the guy across from me makes his wife mow the lawn !
Old 07-21-2003, 08:11 AM
Contributing Member

I used to, but we divorced. So I had to renegotiate her contract $$$$
Old 07-21-2003, 09:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by 02Runner
Say Keisur, is there anything to the fact that the lawnmower is on her side of the garage? JK

I also checked out your web site, nice doggies! Oh, and your "cervesa mas fina" link isn't working, WTF
Well, the way the builder did the garage, there's more space on that side so the fat things go on that side, oops, I'm not talking about her I'm talking about the wide lawn equipment. she does, however, see me out there sometimes eating the weeds and decides to crank up the mower and cut the front. Kind of as a surprise when I'm in the back. she cuts the front while I'm in back and then goes inside and gets me a nice ice water and walks it out to the back and hands it to me. she's nice. I don't have to "make" her do that. after all, it is OUR house. yea, I do clean inside and laundry now and then. I ain't ashamed!
I could insert a joke about her being latin and mowing the yard here but I will refrain from that one.

thanks for the pups compliments. yes they're great.

the beer links, well uh, I was in the middle of redoing my site last month and haven't touched it since. I pulled the beer link to make room for more pics of the runner but that didn't give me much more room. basically it had these links:

http://www.spatenusa.com/
http://www.dosxx.com/

and a few others I like.

Last edited by keisur; 07-21-2003 at 09:32 AM.
Old 07-21-2003, 10:13 AM
Contributing Member

Oh, and good idea on the lawn thing, she'd probably kick your A%#

-Another PITA when it comes to the new Runner, I'm not overly short but the damn cupholders are in another area code! I'm 5'11 by the way and everytime I want my drink, I send my daughter after it. 10 mins later she's back!
-While I'm at it, that remote for the radio only works the wireless headphones for the rear audio center, right??? Could it be........hmmm....."USELESS"! I want a remote controlled cooler and beer opener!
Old 07-22-2003, 12:52 PM
Contributing Member

:I want a remote controlled cooler and beer opener!
AMEN BROTHA!!
Old 07-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Contributing Member

Oh, and good idea on the lawn thing, she'd probably kick your A%#

-Another PITA when it comes to the new Runner, I'm not overly short but the damn cupholders are in another area code! I'm 5'11 by the way and everytime I want my drink, I send my daughter after it. 10 mins later she's back!
-While I'm at it, that remote for the radio only works the wireless headphones for the rear audio center, right??? Could it be........hmmm....."USELESS"! I want a remote controlled cooler and beer opener!
my wifes steering wheel remote works the volume, changes the station and band, something wrong with yours?

I married a remote control beer go-getter and opener, hehe.
Old 07-22-2003, 02:19 PM

I was riding in the back of my Runner for the first time today (finally, after 6mo. lol) and I noticed this thing sticking out of the passenger side floor board. Anybody have a clue to what it is?

Old 07-22-2003, 03:04 PM

yes, that's the bellybutton!
Old 07-22-2003, 03:08 PM

I think it reads the temp inside the truck.
Old 07-22-2003, 03:52 PM

I hate the auto start feature! Why, you ask? Because when I get in my other car, I just click the key over, and the car doesn't start!

Just kidding... It's actually a nice feature.

Tom

Quick Reply: 2003 4runner interesting stuff