Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2001 4R Combination Meter (Speedo cluster) Removal

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 02:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 4R Combination Meter (Speedo cluster) Removal

I have a 2001 4Runner 2WD AT SR5. I was dreading removing my combination meter but I decided to dig in and found that it was dead easy. For those of you who are considering doing this for any reason, the only tools required are a medium length Phillips screw driver, a stubby Phillips screwdriver a ratchet and a 10mm socket.

Here are the steps...

1. Remove 4 10 mm bolts and drop down the Lower Finish Panel. It will hang on the hood release and gas cap door release cables. You can disconnect these if you wish but it is unnecessary.

2. Unplugging the TRAC OFF switch, if you have one, may make things easier.

3. Gently pull the bezel surrounding the ignition key toward you. It just snaps off.

4. Remove 4 Phillips screws holding the combination meter finish panel. Bring the top out first then the bottom

5. Unplug the instrument panel dimmer control and remove the finish panel.

6. Remove 4 Phillips screws and pull the combination meter toward you far enough to unplug the 5 connectors.

DONE! This took me 30 minutes. I think I could do it in 1/2 that time now.

This is a good time to replace those lousy green instrument bulbs. In fact, you may want to replace all of the bulbs while it is out on the bench.

Now just a word about the clear plastic cover over the instruments. To remove this, just press down on the 6 plastic tabs and pop it off. The plastic is soft and will scratch easily but you likely will want to clean it so wash it with lots of water to float any abrasive particles off the plastic. Then dry it with a clean, soft cloth. I used a bath towel. Then snap it back into place.

Installation is simply the above steps in reverse.

Cheers,

ZZ