YotaTech Forums  

Go Back   YotaTech Forums > Toyota SUV & Truck Tech > 95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #1
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

02 4Runner 4wd wont disengage.

I have a 2002 4runner with 178,00 on it. I engaged 4wd about 4 days during a snowy/icy mix and later tried to disengage it but it just keeps blinking and wont disengage. Ive heard that cold weather can cause it not to click back over but I don't if there is any truth behind that. Ive tried the driving in reverse for a bit trick hoping it would work but to no avail. Ive tried coasting as well and switching between L & H but nothing seems to work. Ive also tried pressing the 4wd button again but it wont stop flashing. Ive read through all the other threads and posting, but nothing seems to match my issue exactly. Also when I turn left or right, there is definite pull from the front wheels. Ive even tried pulling the ECU & 4wd fuses because I was told that would reset the system and could work but it didn't. I don't want to cause any damage to my transmission. Someone please help. I don't have the money to get a new actuator.
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
Nate Combs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 AM   #2
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (1)

I know you said you've read through all the other threads about this, but have you read through this one thread entirely? The info is very well documented just in that one thread. My posts begin on pg 11 here: http://www.yotatech.com/f2/4wd-wont-...1/index11.html

Your situation is no different than many others that have posted before...especially mine. I have an '02 4Runner as well & was able to trace my problem down to a failed actuator motor. Rather than spend approx $2000 at the dealer to replace the actuator (they don't sell the act motor separately), I spent $60 at a junk yard for a used act motor. Took 5 mins to install. Now my t-case works like it's supposed to. Word to the wise, most junk yards will not separate the act motor from the tcase, simply because the tcase is useless w/o the motor to engage it. I lucked up when I got mine though...

Typically, the problem on an '02 is going to be one more of the following fail points - one or more of the switches located on the tcase itself have failed, the actuator has failed or the act motor has failed. Good luck.

My 4Runner Profile

Accessories: SS 7.1 Lift Kit, WabFab 1" BL, Modified & Color-matched TJM T-15, Stubb Sliders, FX/TSX HID Projector Retrofit, Tundra Brakes, Hilux Surf Field Monitor, TRD Ivan Stewart Wheels, Yoko Geolanders 265/75s, WeatherTechs, Pioneer HU, LED Tail Lights, JBL Speakers

Mods: Disabled DRLs, Disabled Keyless Entry Chirp, AndyMod 2.0, Fog Light Mod, Air Elbow Mod, Rear Diff Breather Mod

Last edited by Rock Slide; 01-31-2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: spelling
Rock Slide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:49 AM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
01, 02, 2013, 4runner, 4ruuner, 4wd, 96, actuator, blinking, cold, differential, disengage, engage, front, motor, prices, weather, wont