Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

01-04 taco vs 01-02 4runner

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 02:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
01-04 taco vs 01-02 4runner

Hey just my luck my first post here failed to post so I have to rewrite.

I am looking for a new truck for very light offroading and trips to tahoe. I am trying to see if one will be better than the other in 4wd/ traction control systems (VSC, ATRAC...) or handling/comfort since 4runner is coils and the taco is leaf's.

I also plan on towing once in awhile a 1 or 2 horse trailer. Would there be a huge difference between the 2?

Reliability? Besides wear and tear items like timing belt/ water pump does one require more maintance than the other?

Lastly, just from seeing them on the street, it seems that the back seat of the double cab is slightly smaller than the back seat of the 4runner but the truck has a bigger bed correct?

Thanks for all the help guys!

Josh
Old 08-31-2009, 04:29 PM

IMO if you need a truck bed to haul a bunch of dirty stuff, then obviously the Taco is better. But, I've been amazed by just how versatile my 4Runner really is. You can haul quite a bit in the back with the rear seats down and it all stays nice and dry. No need for a topper/camper shell. I personally think the 4Runner rides a little nicer and is a bit more adept offroad, mainly due to the shorter wheelbase. I've considered picking up a crew cab Taco in the past, but I just find the 4Runner tough to beat. Hard to go wrong with either one, good luck with your decision.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by aviator31
IMO if you need a truck bed to haul a bunch of dirty stuff, then obviously the Taco is better.
It sucks having a dirty, wet dog in the back of a 4runner when it's so much nicer to load her up in the back of a truck.
Old 08-31-2009, 04:52 PM

4runner has traction control, taco does not.
4runner has comfortable back seat, taco does not.
4runner has a nicer interior, taco is more spartan.

I've had both, ext. cab taco and 4runner. I do miss my truck, my 4runner just looks like a mall crawler now. But my 4runner does have AWD, 4hi, 4lo, and elocker. My taco just had 4hi, 4lo, and elocker.

I'll get another taco eventually to go with the 4runner.
Old 08-31-2009, 05:59 PM

I had a 02 taco and now a 00 4runner. I miss my truck, but do not regret going to the 4runner. If I was in the market I would get a 4runner. I love the shorter wheelbase, the rear coils and the interior space. It is easier to drive around town which was a big selling point for me. The interior is more comfy. That being said, I would be just as a happy with another taco. They are both great vehicles.
Old 08-31-2009, 09:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love the fact that I can lock things up in my 4runner and keep stuff dry. On dump days, I wish I had a Taco. Especially when the trash is juicy.
Old 09-01-2009, 09:07 AM

It was mentioned that the 4runner can have awd but taco can't. Does this have to do with the added systems in the 01-02's? Did the taco's every get this?

Pretty sure I want a runner but my gf made a good point last night and it sounds stupid but I'll ask anyways. She said in a truck I can always fit plywood (full sheets 8x4) but didn't think it would go in the runner. Is this true or false? I know in either case its sticking out the back. Thanks for the input guys

Josh
Old 09-01-2009, 09:13 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Get a taco and put a cap on it. Do you plan on hauling more than 2 or 3 people often. I was torn between the truck and suv. I do not usually have more than one passenger so for me it came down to the tacoma.
Old 09-01-2009, 04:40 PM
Contributing Member

If you have to haul dirty stuff around then get the Taco.

Camping is nice when you can crash in the back of a 4Runner.

The 4Runner is better balanced in the snow but you can throw sandbags in the back of a Taco but IMO that's a hassle and the Runner still has a bit better control in the snow especially if you have the AWD mode that became standard in the SR5s in '01 but was available in the '99-00 Limiteds.

4Runners have nicer bits and pieces but overall it really comes down to what you need it for and whether a bed or enclosed cabin suits you and you still have the option of the 4 door Taco.

I had this dilemma back in '03 and drove 3 Tacos and 1 4Runner and went with the 4Runner which has suited me fine on and off road.
Old 09-01-2009, 07:20 PM

You can also sleep in the back of a Tacoma. Many x-cab owners set up the back with a sleeping platform. Personally, I'd be uncomfortable whether I'm in a 4Runner or Tacoma and would rather opt for a roof-top-tent.

I've had 2 4Runners and now a Tacoma. There are pluses and minuses, but if I had to have ONE truck, it would be the double cab Tacoma. The most versatile out of the two, IMO.

For your purposes, I'd think a Tacoma with the rear leafs would carry the load better, but that's about the only advantage. Really a toss up. As far as the off-road capability, they're about the same, as well as the reliability, since they share virtually all the same components (or similar). I do like the coil set up in the 4Runners, but I'll get plenty of flex if I upgraded to Alcan springs.

If you're getting a 4Runner, I would encourage you to get a 99-00 with an e-locker. Not a big fan of the VSC system.

Oh, I do agree 4Runner/Tacoma would be a great set up. I am hoping to get my wife off of her Subaru kick and have her get a 99-00 Limited or 05+ SR5/SE.

Last edited by cackalak han; 09-01-2009 at 07:28 PM.
Old 09-02-2009, 12:49 PM

what are the downsides of VSC? I was under the impression that for wet and snow driving it is an added benefit. I do not think I would need the e-locker as I do not see myself doing any hardcore trails for awhile if at all with this truck.

Josh
Old 09-02-2009, 12:54 PM

Downsides to the VSC/TRAC system is that sometimes it's just too sensitive and can get you into trouble. If you're trying to turn onto a busy street on a snowy or rainy day, be prepared to have the VSC/TRAC come on and leave you virtually stranded in the middle of the street while cars come at you. It's a scary experience. You can add a "VSC/TRAC OFF" mod, though.
Old 09-02-2009, 03:08 PM

now i'll show total ignorance...why would the systems leave you stranded? Do they cut off power to the wheels if they slip so therefore if all wheels slip b/c of snow you can't move until they gain traction again?
Old 09-02-2009, 04:04 PM

Yes, if they sense just a tiny bit of slip, they will cut power, period. It's an embarrassing/scary experience.
Old 09-02-2009, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by cackalak han
Yes, if they sense just a tiny bit of slip, they will cut power, period. It's an embarrassing/scary experience.

x2. VSC is too touchy and can get you in more trouble than you'd really want. I will admit it has saved my ass on numerous occasions, but it's more of a curse than a blessing. The only downside to the VSC/TRAC off switch is that it also disables your ABS, something I don't feel comfortable without, especially in a 4000+ lb. SUV.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:42 AM

I love my dcab tacoma. 4-doors, seats 4(5 skinny people), bed for big/dirty loads, going to add a yakima for snowboards and bikes, TRD w/ locker, but the only downside is you gotta get an auto. I've found I actually enjoy the auto and probably wont go back to a 5-speed on a DD. It's almost the best of both worlds.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:39 AM

well damn! I haven't been able to experience this on my test drives but now I am not sure what I want. I agree that I do not like the idea of cutting out my abs but also really don't like the idea of cutting off all power if 4 tires loose traction in the snow.

Was there a year where you could get the awd feature without atrac/vsc?
Old 09-03-2009, 10:16 AM

Yes, 99-00 Limiteds.
Old 09-03-2009, 07:53 PM

Originally Posted by PowellTacoma
I love my dcab tacoma. 4-doors, seats 4(5 skinny people), bed for big/dirty loads, going to add a yakima for snowboards and bikes, TRD w/ locker, but the only downside is you gotta get an auto. I've found I actually enjoy the auto and probably wont go back to a 5-speed on a DD. It's almost the best of both worlds.
BayArea4x4, I was in the same spot as you with the same debates between the Taco & the 4R. I ended up going with the 4R, but now after having it for six or seven years I wish I had gone for the doublecab TRD Taco, with the locker, with an auto tranny, with a tonneau cover over the bed (even though I love the 4R). Granted the bed is not that big, but it's big enough to do a lot more than I can with the 4R. Dont worry about all the traction control system stuff you will have all the traction & control you would expect and want in the Taco.
Old 09-03-2009, 08:20 PM

Im really looking for a Tacoma right now.... Probably a 99+. 4WD. But my problem is, I want to be able to put a system in it.... and seems like the tacoma is not a truck for that..

ANYWAY, reasoning for the post.
Why the posts about getting an Auto and not a 5-Speed?

Quick Reply: 01-04 taco vs 01-02 4runner