86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Swimmerboy2112's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2010, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ya man that is a kit you should get. i chose to buy everything seperate and it ended up being more expensive than the kit from wabfab
Old 06-12-2010, 03:42 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Sooooooooooo, .....what color did you decide on? HAHAHA, ...LOL, SORRY, couldn't resist. I'm really excited to see you tackle this, Swim'r! Very cool how into it you are, ...and trust me, as you can probably see in my threads(meaning, even with DRAMA and MYSTERIES that are hard to solve...they're so much fun and so dependable, once you figure it out that,...).....IT WILL GROW ON YOU 10X'S FASTER, putting all this sweat and thought into trickin it out to your personal specs!

YELLOW, THE MAN SAID YELLOW! lol, jk, take care,

Mark
Old 06-12-2010, 11:34 PM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by BackGateYota92
i dont think 33x10.50's would be to bad on stock gears. now 33x12.50 would prolly be a dog but people do it all time. and since we have ifs with torsion bars you can crank them to get lift. it will give you a harsher ride and put your cv's at a steeper angle but its a free way to get lift. you can search for the instructions on how to do so. lol
33s will be terrible with 4.10 gears... they were bad on my runner when i had 4.56s!!

and cranking the t-bars is a no no if you want a nice ride...
if you dont care about how straight your spine is, go for it!

seriously, your really only gonna get around 2.5" of suspension lift while maintaining semi stock handling and driving characteristics... unless you get a bracket lift, go for a long travel, or do a SA conversion, you arent going to get 4 inches of lift...

maybe a 1" body lift?

my advice, keep your sights at a more reasonable level and you wont be disappointed...

ALSO, keep in mind, that you can do a minimal lift to clear 33"s... the 2 inches it requires PLUS the 2 inches of lift you get from the larger tires will give you your 4 inches...
Old 06-13-2010, 12:14 AM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
Old 06-13-2010, 12:40 AM

So, .....yellow? Hahaha. Jk, .....so thinkin on the lift, eh? Cool, watching to see what you decide. As I said, I pretty much decided on the OME 2.5" or so, HD Springs and Shocks(I carry lotta weight when on trips), which has HD Longer Torsion bars and Steering Stablizer and so on. I want PRACTICAL and comfortable, so that's what you reallllllllly gotta think on and then decide after thinking out all the variables.

Looking forward to your progress, Swimmer!
Old 06-13-2010, 03:59 AM

theres no way you can get 2.5 inches out of bj spacers unless you crank on the t-bars and iirc there isnt a big weight difference between 33x10.50's and 31x10.50's. the bj spacers alone will easily fit the 33x10.50's.
Old 06-13-2010, 09:25 AM

theres no way you can get 2.5 inches out of bj spacers unless you crank on the t-bars and iirc there isnt a big weight difference between 33x10.50's and 31x10.50's. the bj spacers alone will easily fit the 33x10.50's.
Me? ....Hey BackGate, hows it going? Well, I am COMPLETELY freshly learning about lift, etc. Done some suspension work, ie-replacing idler arms and bushings, etc. Never done a lift. However, does the Heavy duty torsion bars and extended HD Steering stablizer, that come with the OME Kit, along with the Bj's and Longer HD Shocks, have something to do getting it up 2.5"?
Old 06-13-2010, 10:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Mountain Cop
That would be one very solid way to go. Price seems reasonable as well. Longer shocks are recommended. I believe that the Suzuki Samurai front struts will compress to the same length as Toy, but extend a few inches longer. It might be cheaper to go that route.

Build is looking good, man. I love the ones that start as other people's junk.
I assumed i should replace the shock as well. Other than the Suzuki Samurai, what other good shocks are out there (i just want to keep my options open). And thanks man i'm slowly breathing life back into her.

ya man that is a kit you should get. i chose to buy everything seperate and it ended up being more expensive than the kit from wabfab
Yeah i saw that kit and i was like "hmm…Looks like everything i need."

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Sooooooooooo, .....what color did you decide on? HAHAHA, ...LOL, SORRY, couldn't resist. I'm really excited to see you tackle this, Swim'r! Very cool how into it you are, ...and trust me, as you can probably see in my threads(meaning, even with DRAMA and MYSTERIES that are hard to solve...they're so much fun and so dependable, once you figure it out that,...).....IT WILL GROW ON YOU 10X'S FASTER, putting all this sweat and thought into trickin it out to your personal specs!

YELLOW, THE MAN SAID YELLOW! lol, jk, take care,

Mark
Mark,

Well I can't do too too much right now because the 4Runner is still helping me get to work hahah But within the next month or so a lot of big changes will be taking place!

-Brian

Originally Posted by space-junk
33s will be terrible with 4.10 gears... they were bad on my runner when i had 4.56s!!

and cranking the t-bars is a no no if you want a nice ride...
if you dont care about how straight your spine is, go for it!

seriously, your really only gonna get around 2.5" of suspension lift while maintaining semi stock handling and driving characteristics... unless you get a bracket lift, go for a long travel, or do a SA conversion, you arent going to get 4 inches of lift...

maybe a 1" body lift?

my advice, keep your sights at a more reasonable level and you wont be disappointed...

ALSO, keep in mind, that you can do a minimal lift to clear 33"s... the 2 inches it requires PLUS the 2 inches of lift you get from the larger tires will give you your 4 inches...
Ok ill just stick with 31's then the already underpowred 22re needs to not be pushed much more. Also I think I'm going to go with that kit from WabFab as it seems like a really good deal. Maybe i'll replace the rear leafs as well to keep the back end from dragging on the ground haha

So, .....yellow? Hahaha. Jk, .....so thinkin on the lift, eh? Cool, watching to see what you decide. As I said, I pretty much decided on the OME 2.5" or so, HD Springs and Shocks(I carry lotta weight when on trips), which has HD Longer Torsion bars and Steering Stablizer and so on. I want PRACTICAL and comfortable, so that's what you reallllllllly gotta think on and then decide after thinking out all the variables.

Looking forward to your progress, Swimmer!
I'll have to check out the HD products. Thanks!

Well i'd rather not stress out the 22re any more than i have to so ill stick to 31's which i was going to do originally.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:42 AM

i got ya man. that wabfab kit seems like a dang good kit. are ya gonna install everything your self? oh and are you buying tat paint from the website posted earlier??? im thinking bout getting gunmetal gray from the same people and would like to know how the paint does for you. lol
Old 06-13-2010, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
as for the paint on the web site colors are a little different than most cars but for a custom car they can do just mix it like any other enamel not like they tell you 2 to 1 not 4 to 1 that way you can get an 18 second mix
Old 06-13-2010, 03:16 PM

i got ya man. that wabfab kit seems like a dang good kit. are ya gonna install everything your self? oh and are you buying tat paint from the website posted earlier??? im thinking bout getting gunmetal gray from the same people and would like to know how the paint does for you. lol
I plan on buying the paint soon. And as for the kit, i think i'm going to see how difficult the installation looks, then determine if i am going to do it myself or see if someone on here can help me.
Old 06-13-2010, 03:48 PM

the add a leaf will be easy. the front however will be a lil tricky
Old 06-13-2010, 03:56 PM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
I plan on buying the paint soon. And as for the kit, i think i'm going to see how difficult the installation looks, then determine if i am going to do it myself or see if someone on here can help me.
Where in PA are you again? oh haha thought it said eastern, missed the fact it's easton. By bethlehem right? if so yur about 1-1.5 away from me.

Last edited by xxxtreme22r; 06-13-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:18 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
less than 2 weeks until Rausch......put some 31's on it and bring it on down.
Old 06-13-2010, 04:42 PM

WOO HOOOO! Yotatechies coming through, AS USUAL! You'd better take em up on that, if you can, Swimmer! lol. MAN I wish I could cruise that with you guys!
Old 06-13-2010, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by xxxtreme22r
Where in PA are you again? oh haha thought it said eastern, missed the fact it's easton. By bethlehem right? if so yur about 1-1.5 away from me.
I may ask your help with the install.

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
less than 2 weeks until Rausch......put some 31's on it and bring it on down.
I don't know if i'll have 31's but i'll be there!

WOO HOOOO! Yotatechies coming through, AS USUAL! You'd better take em up on that, if you can, Swimmer! lol. MAN I wish I could cruise that with you guys!
Who says you can't? Make the drive!!
Old 06-13-2010, 06:08 PM

Picked up a CB radio today, now all i need is an antenna for it.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:12 PM

cool what kind man?? get a 102" whip from radio shack. 20 bucks and they put out a long ways. lol
Old 06-13-2010, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by Swimmerboy2112
I may ask your help with the install.

I don't know if i'll have 31's but i'll be there!

Who says you can't? Make the drive!!
HAHAHAHA! Dang, DON'T TEMPT ME! lol. I actually couldn't even if I wanted to. But thanks for inviting me I really need to get TO THE ANGELES CREST, at least, soon! Few more ticks to work out, but I'm well on my way. Can't wait, ....just need suspension, hahaha. Mine is ok, but not with ANY weight in it....Ask Flecker, my springs are FLAT! Lol.
Old 06-14-2010, 03:35 AM

Received 69 Likes on 48 Posts
cool what kind man?? get a 102" whip from radio shack. 20 bucks and they put out a long ways. lol
I got a 102" with a heavy duty spring if ya want one. $15 for both. pretty much brand new. I can bring to RC when we go if ya want them. You can have my beehive mount for it too.

Quick Reply: Swimmerboy2112's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread