86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Redeth's 1989 4Runner Resurrection

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2012, 03:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
finally I can get you guys an u pdate on my truck. I kit picked up my crank from getting polished and took it to the mechanic. Here's the pic:

And when I went back to see the mechanics progress I seen this:

He got all happy when he saw the crank. He was like now I can finally get back to work. He was fusteratrd with the machine shop cuz they took over 2 weeks.
He said now that he has the part he can have the truck to me as soon as this wednesday but no later then Thursday.
Woot! Finally!
Old 05-26-2012, 11:35 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Wow, exciting..... YOUR 3 CYLINDER WILL BE ON THE ROAD AGAIN! hehehehe... jk. Wow, GREAT news, man! You should roll by my pad and do a fish tail drive by! hahaha.
Old 05-26-2012, 11:54 PM

Ha ha! I'm down. We can try out that trail you told me about for a day. My girlfriend has been bugging me for the past few weeks about when is the truck gonna be ready so we can do an off road trip and take our dog lol.

She likes off road trucks. But I know the real reason that she is so anxious for my truck to be ready is. It's because She is gonna get my car when my truck is fixed up and SAS'ed and lifted. She has been learning to drive stick for the past month and is gonna need one when she returns to school. Man I'ma miss the car when she takes over lol. It's a little 2000 toy Corolla 1.8L 4cylinder motor with a kick ass sound system. Ha why wouldn't she want it.

Last edited by Redeth005; 05-27-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 05-28-2012, 04:54 PM

Time to Celebrate me getting my truck back soon and Memorial Day! CHEERS!!!
Today's lunch for the day.

- Burger: seasoned 1/3 pound patty, topped with melted cheese, onions, pickles, lettuce, avocado, mayo, mustered, all stuffed in between 2 toasted hamburger buns. Sitting at just under 4 inches of pure Manliness! Lol
- Side Dish: BBQ'd veggie Shish-Ka-Bobs consisting of grilled onions, bell pepper, zucchini, squash, and pineapple, all topped with a Hawaiian Spicy BBQ sauce.
Now that is a, "Tuff Man Dish!" well.... with the exception of the Smirinoff drinks you see there in the back ground lol
Who wants some!?!
Old 05-30-2012, 02:00 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
What time is dinner?.. Opps missed it looks, that was on Memorial Day. I had posted but guess it didnt go thru. So thought I would try again.

Did you get your truck back?
Old 05-30-2012, 03:15 PM

I should get it back by tomorrow or Friday. My girlfriend's uncles auto parts store and the mechanic they recommend me to both have a miscommunicatuon going on here and the store ended up lagging with giving him some of the parts I bought. So once again I'm freekin delayed again!

I mean Damn I'm getting a great deal on work and parts but man.... Waiting is torture. It almost doesn't feel worth saving the cash when I can't use the truck for this long. He's had it for over 2 months now... I wanna take my SAS/gear change/locker install job to him only cuz ill save. Yet at the same time I kind of wanna take it to another mechanic because I really don't feel like waiting 2 months for another job.

Last edited by Redeth005; 05-30-2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old 05-30-2012, 04:30 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
yo. sweet work you're doing. may have to copy that trick with the carpet some day. good deal. what a difference.

3 words for ya since you are spending money
Doug. Thorley. Headers.

not sure how much stuff you can eliminate with an ISR mod, but it might be worth looking into.

fan shroud:...I have seen a universal type on SUMMIT. haven't really had any luck finding an OEM one.

and, by the way, that craigslist thing doesn't work any more...something about a "cease and desist" order.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:07 PM

Yummo! Looks great, Brudda!

Sorry you're having to wait.. But look at it FROM THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSPECTIVE;

* I waited 2 weeks and ended up with a 6 month NIGHTMARE... HELL, OVER A YEAR, if I'm going to be even a LIL moderate! lol. NO ONE wants to wait... but I'd have GLADLY waited for something HIGH QUALITY/without being ripped of for high end parts, etc... I GOT SCREWED, Buddy! lol... So 2 months is worth EVERY MINUTE if you, 1. don't have time to do it yourself, and ... 2. trust this guy and his work! lol.

Still, ....sorry you're having to wait, yet again, due to 'OOOPS, DERRRRRRRR', lol.... that sux! I agree! Hey man, once they(machinists/builders) have your stuff.... IT'S A TOSS UP as to when you'll get it back. This isn't TOTALLY unusual, man.. trust me! lol.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by 92 TOY
yo. sweet work you're doing. may have to copy that trick with the carpet some day. good deal. what a difference.

3 words for ya since you are spending money
Doug. Thorley. Headers.

fan shroud:...I have seen a universal type on SUMMIT. haven't really had any luck finding an OEM one.

and, by the way, that craigslist thing doesn't work any more...something about a "cease and desist" order.
1) Thanks alot bro, Well as for the headers Damn i wish i could but damn $600+ for the hearders is a bit pricey. I'm sure i could always eventually get them later on though.

2) As Far as the fan shroud. ive found a few online before that are for the 3.0 motor. Not sure if it was universal or not but thats something i definitely need to get.

Originally Posted by ChefYota4x4
Yummo! Looks great, Brudda!

Sorry you're having to wait.. But look at it FROM THE MOST IMPORTANT PERSPECTIVE;

* I waited 2 weeks and ended up with a 6 month NIGHTMARE... HELL, OVER A YEAR, if I'm going to be even a LIL moderate! lol. NO ONE wants to wait... but I'd have GLADLY waited for something HIGH QUALITY/without being ripped of for high end parts, etc... I GOT SCREWED, Buddy! lol... So 2 months is worth EVERY MINUTE if you, 1. don't have time to do it yourself, and ... 2. trust this guy and his work! lol.

Still, ....sorry you're having to wait, yet again, due to 'OOOPS, DERRRRRRRR', lol.... that sux! I agree! Hey man, once they(machinists/builders) have your stuff.... IT'S A TOSS UP as to when you'll get it back. This isn't TOTALLY unusual, man.. trust me! lol.
Thanks Chef IT WAS DELICIOUS! JUICIEST BURGER IVE EVER HAD. and BTW It's true what you say; I guess it definitely is worth taking my sas, gears, and lockers to him to do. First I have to ask him if he is even capable of doing the full job. i really hope he can cuz that'll save me a hell of alot of cash if i do it though him. I'm just hoping he wont take as long as he did to do my motor.

But before i do my sas. I would really like to take that off-roading trip with you before i give up my truck again for another few weeks. I'd like to give her a test drive ya know.
Old 05-30-2012, 06:13 PM

I hear ya, Bud! I'd LOVE to get up there, even if it ends up that most of the roads are closed off and it's just a 'day by the creek, grubbin dogs and burgers' type day, hahaha. There's ALWAYS some wheeling to do on the backside... it's just that BLM seems to fight with DWP and Nat. Forest Rangers about who's land is what and they don't want you within 100 feet of moving water, etc.. I DON'T CARE, lol... And I just play dumb, then respectfully move my rig from where it was parked, etc. Still, there ARE plenty of places in the mountains to cruise up and test em out on/without getting too far off the beaten path so to speak(and to just test out flex/climbing with the locker ability, hitting speeds over washboard to test the IFS mush, lol. You know, just a day out of the city, right? lol. MAN, I sure hope it's running great and all that, man... Lemme know before hand so I can make plans accordingly to have someone cover me, etc., ya know?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:44 PM

Sounds good man. Well as far as my truck goes when I get it back this week it wont have any off roading mods yet. It's just gonna be a plain ol' stock 4x4 IFS 4runner with 31" tires. I dont have a any lockers on it yet.

I plan to install the 4.88 or 5.29 gears, 4" lift, 33" tires, and lockers all installed when I take my truck to have the SAS done to it. It'll be a big project for them to do, but at least I'll have all of the major off roading mods done to it. But it wont be done by the time we go on that off road trip thats for sure. Not unless you wanna wait another 2-3 months lol.

But i'll definitely give you a heads up. i'm sure we can get a couple of Sol Cal guys to join us. Only problem is that I only get saturday and sunday off so I would only be available on the weekend if that is do-able for you.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:26 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just saw the grill.. I have the same one!

couple of tips..
I bought a hose so I can use the large propane tank at home..
then I bought a small can filler, so I can just fill the small cans from the large one for trips to save money on buying those little cans!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKCYIOnxwkg

propane may not taste the best.. but its nice and fast way to get a grilled taste
Old 05-31-2012, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Redeth005
Sounds good man. Well as far as my truck goes when I get it back this week it wont have any off roading mods yet. It's just gonna be a plain ol' stock 4x4 IFS 4runner with 31" tires. I dont have a any lockers on it yet.

I plan to install the 4.88 or 5.29 gears, 4" lift, 33" tires, and lockers all installed when I take my truck to have the SAS done to it. It'll be a big project for them to do, but at least I'll have all of the major off roading mods done to it. But it wont be done by the time we go on that off road trip thats for sure. Not unless you wanna wait another 2-3 months lol.

But i'll definitely give you a heads up. i'm sure we can get a couple of Sol Cal guys to join us. Only problem is that I only get saturday and sunday off so I would only be available on the weekend if that is do-able for you.
Gotcha! lol... Well, doesn't matter which day it is, for me..... As long as I know a couple days in advance! lol. Especially if I'm staying over night, ya know? That's pretty difficult for me, but I can pull it off for sure. But if just for the day(leaving at 6am and coming home in the evening), that's fine as well.

Originally Posted by Outsane

couple of tips..
then I bought a small can filler, so I can just fill the small cans from the large one for trips to save money on buying those little cans!

propane may not taste the best.. but its nice and fast way to get a grilled taste
YEP! I got one of those adapters at Big5! Great tool! (Oh, and I got some shoes there, yesterday/ 2 pairs for 37$! hahahaha... yeah, it's some supersale, lol)>
Old 06-01-2012, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Redeth005
I mean Damn I'm getting a great deal on work and parts but man.... Waiting is torture. It almost doesn't feel worth saving the cash when I can't use the truck for this long. He's had it for over 2 months now... I wanna take my SAS/gear change/locker install job to him only cuz ill save. Yet at the same time I kind of wanna take it to another mechanic because I really don't feel like waiting 2 months for another job.[/B]
I can feel your frustrations, right after you get it back then you will be limited on time. Always seems like something is trying to stop progress. Been in that boat many a time.
Old 06-01-2012, 07:19 AM

Originally Posted by Outsane

couple of tips..

Oh that is sweet. I definitely gotta buy one of those. Do you know if they make a similar hook-up to adapt to your home gas line? Or is that a conpletely different type of gas?

Originally Posted by Terrys87
I can feel your frustrations, right after you get it back then you will be limited on time. Always seems like something is trying to stop progress. Been in that boat many a time.
Yes Terry it is so Damn fustrating. Especially when they take longer time for parts they should have had ordered 2weeks prior. That's what's going on right now. I am currently delayed because the auto store lagged it with the parts I bought over a month and a half ago. They should have had them ready to give to the mechanic by now. That's why I gotta wait once again. And once the mechanic finally receives my parts it is gonna take another 3 days or so to put back together and reinstall everything back into the truck.
Old 06-01-2012, 08:05 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
not sure about a house line....
Old 06-01-2012, 03:38 PM

Great news everyone. The auto parts store called. My bearings finally arrived! So I'm on my way to go pick them up and deliver them to my mechanic. I'll try to take some pictures when I get there and post up some pix later today.

Last edited by Redeth005; 06-01-2012 at 05:39 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:12 PM

Oooooh, WOOT! lol.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:37 PM

Man such tiny parts yet so expensive. Nearly $73.

Anyway I would have taken more pictures of his progress and of how dirty he has my truck looking being parked under his back yard tree. But he looked pretty busy and I didnt wanna Intrude on his property and begin taking pictures n stuff. so I just handed them over. Along with some freeze plugs.

Last edited by Redeth005; 06-01-2012 at 05:40 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 06:32 PM

Didya need some "Competition Cams" Cam Break In lube? I got some if ya need it. Most builders don't use it anymore.. but my buddy had some, so I grabbed it. Those first few passes of the cam over the pads is IMPORTANTANTANT! lol.

Jk, he's got it handled... Just kinda trying to be a part of it from a few miles away! hahaha.

Quick Reply: Redeth's 1989 4Runner Resurrection