86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

PirateMcgee's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2008, 12:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PirateMcgee's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Little about me 22, Full time student at OIT, work part time as a lube tech at an OCH, anything outdoors is pretty much my hobby especially rafting/tahiting.

figured I would start a build thread for my 86 Toyota 4runner. A little info about the runner. I bought it last week from a guy who has had it for about 8 years. He repainted about 5-6years ago a custom one off blue with a litte pearl in it. Rebuilt the engine with a NEW head, honed block and all new everything about 15k miles ago. There's 235k on the chassis but everything works great. Also got a new clutch with the engine and recently had the A/C recharged with r12 (he knew a guy with an a/c shop or something) Anways it's a 5spd, 22re, flowmaster, no cat, 31x10.5x15 tires, modern wheels, light bar, fog/driving lights, yakima bike/ski rack, removable top, 6x9 clarions/4" blaupunkts in the dash, and sweet front seat covers lol.

Here's what I've done
New shift knob (the one he had on there flopped everywhere)
New alpine deck with ipod adapter
amp and sub out of my truck all wired in

So here's what is in the truck's immediate future (starting tomorrow)
Fix the fog and drving lights
Fix burned out dash lights
Paint valve cover
New tires
Complete detailing (truck is already super clean but I can do better)
Replace front drive axle due to torn cv boot (he included two assemblys)

and the big time consuming one

replace timing chain due to a likely broken guide

After that is all done the truck should be ready to go for a long time. The engine runs perfect besides the stupid timing chain rattling around.

More pics to come

Last edited by PirateMcgee; 09-16-2008 at 07:43 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 12:37 PM

This is my 2wd
Old 08-18-2008, 01:10 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Nice 4Runner, an '86 Runner was my first one...long time ago..I had very similar steps (made by Carr I think)...If you wheel at all you might want to remove them...they don't last long against logs/rocks.

Hold of on painting the valve cover until you take care of the timing chain, no sense it taking it off twice...might want to check out Ted at http://www.engnbldr.com/ for you timing chain kit...Everyone around Portland says he is the go to guy.

I am hoping that is an LC in the background (hard to tell from the small pic but the cage looks like one) either way it looks pretty good..

edit: if you run into some issues on your CV replacement, this link has some downloadable Factory service manuals... http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html

Last edited by dropzone; 08-18-2008 at 01:12 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 01:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome to YotaTech! nice lookin' runner
Old 08-18-2008, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Nice 4Runner, an '86 Runner was my first one...long time ago..I had very similar steps (made by Carr I think)...If you wheel at all you might want to remove them...they don't last long against logs/rocks.

Hold of on painting the valve cover until you take care of the timing chain, no sense it taking it off twice...might want to check out Ted at http://www.engnbldr.com/ for you timing chain kit...Everyone around Portland says he is the go to guy.

I am hoping that is an LC in the background (hard to tell from the small pic but the cage looks like one) either way it looks pretty good..

edit: if you run into some issues on your CV replacement, this link has some downloadable Factory service manuals... http://www.ncttora.com/fsm/index.html
Ya steps are coming off....probally with a sawzall since I can't access the bolt head so the nut and bolt turn together.

I'm waiting to do the valve cover when I'm doing the timing chain.....which is this week lol. I got my kit today from engnbldr with the metal backed drivers guide. Never done it before ut I printed off a step by step thing I found online and it doesn't seem all that hard

It is an fj40 in the background but it's not mine. The pic is from the craigslist ad from the guy I bought it from. I want to clean it up really nice before I take pics.

Thanks for the link!

Originally Posted by Workhorse
Welcome to YotaTech! nice lookin' runner
Thanks, the runner is very nice looking......I almost don't want to take it in dirt.....almost

The paint on it is awesome and I love the color!

Last edited by PirateMcgee; 08-18-2008 at 08:29 PM.
Old 08-18-2008, 08:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
nice runner looks real clean. definitely get some pics up im interested in seeing em
Old 08-18-2008, 09:48 PM

will do
Old 08-19-2008, 05:25 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome aboard! Good luck on all the future mods and repairs.
Old 08-19-2008, 07:18 PM

here's some crappy photos lol

Got the lights in the dash all done!!!
The driving and fog lights are hooked up and working now!!
and it's up in the air ready to start being worked on in the morn and for the rest of the week

Old 08-20-2008, 06:00 AM

here's some crappy photos lol my camera was freaking out

Got the lights in the dash all done!!!
The driving and fog lights are hooked up and working now!!
and it's up in the air ready to start being worked on in the morn and for the rest of the week

Old 08-20-2008, 09:48 AM

ok I've posted more pics and stuff but it's not showing up??
Old 08-21-2008, 09:03 AM

got quite a bit more done this morning but got to go to work here in 30min.

All that's left to pull is the water pump, valve cover, and timing chain cover......

then it's hope that the guide is not broken but rather just loose so I don't have to drop the front diff to pull the oil pan.

after that install the new timing chain kit and reinstall everything....

hopefully be done with it tomorrow since I don't have to work!
Old 08-21-2008, 09:04 AM

Old 08-29-2008, 07:06 PM

Alrighty so it's back alive and runs excellent, everything went extremely well considering and hopefully it all holds together lol.

Got pretty lucky on the timing too, I went to adjust it and it was dead on perfect!!!

So now on to the fun stuff, like actually being able to drive it.

oh it also ran 20mpg (1/2 city) and that was with the chain eating away, thicker oil, old gear box fluids, crappy sparks plugs, crappy wires, mud terrain 31" tires, and a crappy cap/rotor.

I think with a proper intake, exhaust, all terrains, and the full tune up (now complete) it will pull mid 20's on the hwy with 20 around town. Which is pretty good for having aerodynamics of a brick, 4wd, and a 4cyl pushing it around lol.

Also took it offroad around a local area in town for about 45min and it did awesome!!!! Definately glad I sold my car and bought this! Plus now I have 2 22re yota's which imo are the best yota trucks ever made. New ones are just too damn big for my tastes.

Now I just need a white Celica All-trac to round out the stable.......

Last edited by PirateMcgee; 08-29-2008 at 07:08 PM.
Old 08-29-2008, 07:11 PM

Oh and get this I popped off the timing cover, and the guy that put the engine back together just left the drivers side guide completely off soooo it had almost completely eaten through the timing cover so guess it's a good thing I did it immediately!!!
Guess even experienced engine rebuilders can forget things

Important thing is that it runs perfect now
Old 09-16-2008, 07:39 PM

Last edited by PirateMcgee; 09-16-2008 at 07:42 PM.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:40 PM

Picked up a rare factory rear seat delete panel today. Took forever due to the massive repavement going on on hwy 140 where I sat each way for an hour.

Anyways the back seat was destroyed, some of the brackets were bent, and two seat belts didn't work. Plus I never really have more with me than my gf and dog. This panel basically makes it a full truck bed in the back but still tilts forward so I can store stuff under it like my amp, tools, jumpers, recovery stuff etc. Plus it now allows me to move forward with making the 4runner better suited for camping in the back of it.

Going to pickup some stuff tomorrow to make a soft cover to go from the top to the tailgate for a couple of extra feet of leg room, some mesh to keep the buggies from getting in the side windows, light for the interior roof, and some sort of soft durable floor covering.

Altogether this should make camping in remote places a lot more comfortable and easy.

Will post pics tomorrow when I'm done.
Old 09-16-2008, 07:41 PM

Oh and the other day I changed programs from Mechanical Engineering to Renwable Energy Systems Engineering. It's the only program in the country and I'm pretty stoked about it.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

Location: Where it always works if you work it, in Sunny Selinsgrove, PA
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by PirateMcgee
Oh and the other day I changed programs from Mechanical Engineering to Renwable Energy Systems Engineering. It's the only program in the country and I'm pretty stoked about it.
ironically, thats exactly what I would love to do with my life, however I am going for Electrical Engineering, close enough haha.

nice vehicle!
Old 09-16-2008, 09:01 PM

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
take some pics when you do the timing chain!!

btw, sick 4runner haha.

Quick Reply: PirateMcgee's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread