86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Merfal's 1995 4Runner Build Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 07:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks, I wasn't too big of a fan but having this one has won me over.
Old 07-01-2011, 02:30 PM

It's been slow going but I am now out of the Marine Corps and might have some free time to work on the project since I am going to school this fall and am not going to be getting a job between now and then. I am going to buy a welder, compressor and some air tools so I can finish this thing up. I am also going to order EVERYTHING else I could possibly need so I can be done by the time school starts.

Some of the big ticket items on my order list are wheels and tires, new electronic gauge cluster, ARB third for the rear, front and rear bumpers, sliders, a winch, and air.
Old 08-27-2011, 04:56 PM

Here are some new pictures that I took today. Recently I have had another son, left the Marine Corps, moved, and started school. Not only am I taking 16 credits this semester but I am part of the PGA program at my school so I am obligated to golf as well Anyways, Ive been ordering parts and preparing to finish this project because I need my 4Runner. I have taken a couple of pics of the new house and garage and will post some more as I organize the garage and work on the Runner on the weekends.

Addicted Offroad front bumper

Lincoln Pro Mig 180 that I recently bought

BFG KM2 35x12.50's and 15x8 Pro Comp's

A garage floor full of parts

The unfinished Runner in the new garage

Last edited by merfal; 08-27-2011 at 04:57 PM.
Old 01-09-2012, 06:00 PM

After a couple months of doing nothing and my first semester at Campbell University I found some time over the break to do some work. I managed to clean and organize the garage so I actually have a decent work space. Tomorrow I am going to build the engine harness and possibly finish assembling the engine I have. I will take and share pics tomorrow. I am going to take the Technician exam for HAM radio on Sat and am excited to be able to have a CB and a mobile HAM radio in the truck when it's done.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:08 PM

Great on the HAM license, good luck on the test, my call sign N2XKO
Old 01-10-2012, 12:48 PM

nice build. i cant wait to see how this turns out. looks like it will be a monster
Old 01-10-2012, 02:55 PM

Welcome back. Glad your are doing well in school.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:29 PM

@RMP8080 I am excited to be licensed but I don't have any equipment yet besides CB. I think I am going to pick up something like Kenwoods TM-281A unless I can get a good deal on a dual band radio. How long have you been operating?

@badcompany Thanks. I would like to put the wheels and tires on it but it is too tall for the garage if I do that. I didn't mean for it to be that big originally but I like the way it looks. I am also very excited about the 6.0 Chevy, especially since it's not a common swap.

@TinMan Thanks, I am glad to have a little time to work on my Runner again. I am ready to have two vehicles for the family again. Last semester was fairly chaotic between school and golf. It was definitely very nice (and weird) to be out of the Marine Corps and in school.

Here are some pics of the garage as is. It's not as messy as it looks, I was in the middle of working when I took the pictures. Once I finish assembling the engine I wil put it back in the truck along with the trans and t-case and take measurements for the driveshaft. Then I will only have to weld the front support back on, put the fenders on, and finish up only a few more small things.

The side for Runner work

The side for golf work

Old 01-10-2012, 10:00 PM

Merfal, got my ham license in 91, my toy still in the re-build stage has a kenwood th-742 tri-band 2 m 6m & 70cm. My daily driver has the same. Find a local ham club in your area, they will post radios for sale or have a ham fest. I go to Dayton , Ohio every year for one of the biggest shows. Good luck
Old 01-12-2012, 06:34 AM

Wow that's a long time. What class license do you have? I read the main book I see everywhere by Gordon West, but I still have many more questions. I am going to go to a local club meeting but I always hate being the new guy.
Old 01-12-2012, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by merfal
Wow that's a long time. What class license do you have? I read the main book I see everywhere by Gordon West, but I still have many more questions. I am going to go to a local club meeting but I always hate being the new guy.

I got a technician class, will upgrade but it's good for right now. most of the people i talk to use 2 meters and 70 cm.

What nice when you go wheeling is no cell phone coverage, Ham bands you will get out far and some repeater has links to telephone lines
Old 01-14-2012, 07:50 AM

I passed my exam this morning. I am excited to have a license, now I just have to buy some equipment.

I have decided that I am going to mate the engine, trans, and tcase together and put them in them truck that way. I am going to do that next week whenever my $50 thread chaser that I need gets here. I should have it Tues or Wed hopefully. I am planning on using the stock crossmember; I think it will work fine.
Old 01-14-2012, 11:22 AM

great news on the ham test. What your call?

When a got may 4.3 V6 it came with half of the front frame and they used the orig crossmember, but it was modified. I'm using the automatic chevy transmission and the toyota t-case it already has the adapater for the two.

photos are on my build thread
Old 01-14-2012, 02:56 PM

I did tons of research on my options and of other peoples swaps before making my decision on what to do. I read that the 4L60E trans will work with the original 4Runner crossmember...we'll see. I am going to be running a Dana 300 transfer case because of it's design and passenger side drop. Do you know which trans it is that you're using? I'm guessing the 4.3 variant of the 4l60E? Worst case scenario I will have to spend some dough to have one made.

I am not sure what my call sign is yet, they told me to keep checking online and I should be able to find myself in the database by this upcoming Friday. They tried to give me the next test on the spot but I hadn't studied for it so I told them no thanks. The same group is doing another test in March and I think I'm going to go ahead and take the General and Extra exams.
Old 01-14-2012, 06:29 PM

Should have taken the next test, my cousin took it was passed did not studied at all.

I think mine is turbo 350, its going to be sent out for rebuild, making it a manual shift automatic. Engine, Transmission and T-Case come from a running toyota, the frame rusted out that's why a got it.
Old 01-16-2012, 04:38 PM

It's sweet that you were able to get something that was already together and just had to be swapped to your truck. There are a ton more options available for the TH 350 than the 4L60E unfortunately.
Old 01-17-2012, 06:05 PM

Look what I found at my door today

My $80 worth of thread chasers are here so tomorrow I am going to clean my head bolt holes out and finish getting it together.
Old 01-21-2012, 11:23 AM

My call sign is KF7TMZ
Old 01-21-2012, 01:24 PM

Great, now you need a radio
Old 01-21-2012, 02:13 PM

Yeah definitely...I think I am going to buy a TM 281.

Quick Reply: Merfal's 1995 4Runner Build Up