86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

khat toy's 1986/1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 04:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
khat toy's 1986/1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Alright.... I got this '88 out of the junkyard last year with a blown motor and a questionable tranny. I had been buying parts off of it for a while for the '86 rig I had been running for about ten years, that was slowly rusting into nothing (fred flinstone style floors...) So I went down to the junkyard one day (they all kno me by name there) and the owner told me to take what I wanted 'cus he was gonna crush it, so we dickered and I got the whole thing, delivered to my door, for $500. I had just had the top half of the engine in the '86 rebuilt after the timing chain guides broke, the timing chain ate thru the water pump housing, blew the head gasket and cracked the head (right at 168,xxx, big surprise).... so with a little help the engine and tranny from the '86 now reside in the '88... along with the 31" tires it had when I bought it 10 years ago. My biggest regret is the loss of my bullhorns and winch - the winch was used as payment for the help I got and the bullhorns were rusted beyond use.... but I suppose there's always a trade-off. The new rig's wiring is all stock (unlike the '86, which had a bunch of amateurs install and remove various electrical devices...), still has the side steps, the rear window works, there's a sunroof, and I recently finished installing a bumpin' stereo system. But, it does have a few problems. It was in an accident, so the front end suspension/bearing/idler arm have some issues. I've been driving it that way since I got it (out to Greene Co, PA and back, even), but the vibration is getting really bad at lower and lower speeds. So I'm using a good chunk of my student loan refunds to purchase parts and get greasy. This weekend I was planning to start on the rear end suspension (I've had leaf springs kicking around my house for about 5 years now, figure I should probably install them...) but it's raining all weekend, and I do not have the advantage of a garage. So hopefully Monday I will begin the suspension adventure... In the meantime, I plan to buy some front end parts, and I was hoping for some feedback on brands. I kno alot of people swear by moog but they're crazy expensive. If they're worth it, I'll invest, since I plan to have this rig for a while. I guess my next choice would be beck/arnley. Once the suspension is solid, I plan to drop a 3" body lift in it so it rides like the '86 did. And I hope to address the rust before winter, before it gets too out of hand. After that it's a toss up between swapping out the gears or dropping in the sfa. Thanks for reading, and any input is greatly appreciated!!!
Attached Thumbnails khat toy's 1986/1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread-image102.jpg  
Old 07-10-2010, 04:25 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome. Looks like one heck of a project.

I would stay away from a 3 inch body lift. You don't need a lift to clear 31's, but if you want to improve the stance (butt sag), look into an add a leaf, zuk mod, or just getting new leaf packs.

I run the zuk mod and bj spacers, and mine ended up with a nice stance.
Old 07-10-2010, 05:44 PM

Lol! A project it will be, for sure. But I enjoy it, and there's worse vices I could have, right? I have seen lots of comments to the effect that lift should be avoided if unnecessary, and I understand why, in terms of CoG and all. I just like the extra height, I'm used to it after ten years of driving the '86. And this engine has always had starter issues - after a year or so it starts to lock up and tapping it with a hammer a few times will get it to start. Then after a while that doesn't work anymore and I have to replace it (I've gone thru about four, and the vehicle was parked for about 4 years at one point) But the starter is much easier to get to with the lift. I kno those are kinda lame reasons, and I haven't bought the parts or really made a solid decision yet, so we'll see. I'll have to look into this zuk mod of which you speak. I see it in peeps rig descrips but I'm still a total newb when it comes to most mods. Thanks again for the suggestions! (btw, how'd you get the pic to be big?)
Old 07-10-2010, 06:31 PM

Received 74 Likes on 44 Posts
I right clicked your pic. Went to the reply box, hit the pic button. Kinda looks like a postcard. Dropped that address in there and the large pic is the result.

And trust me, I know about the working on the 4runner vice. It's a fun one.
And I wasn't saying don't lift it, just don't body lift it 3 inches. Lol! I am sure you will see other threads about reasons why. Wab fab has a bj spacer/ add a leaf kit that looks good for 31's.
Old 07-10-2010, 07:08 PM

Ahhhhh. Gotcha. I'll check out their kit. I really appreciate all the info!!
Old 07-10-2010, 07:11 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Looks like a fun project.

Old 07-10-2010, 07:13 PM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
hey Khat...welcome.

nice story.......funny how that worked out for you.

got to Chef's thread, the last post and work your way back a few posts, he just did the ZUK mod....and he even has some video stuff of it.

yep..there are worse vices than what we have....and our vice is a pretty cool one.
Old 07-10-2010, 08:43 PM

thx wabbit and 92 Toy! It'll be fun, for sure. Has been so far, lol. And thx for the suggestion 92, I'll check out what chef's been up to
Old 07-10-2010, 08:49 PM

yeh...he seems really pleased with it and he says it was easy
Old 07-10-2010, 09:25 PM

Well, I've got a new set of leaf springs and a set of Bilstein shocks I'm going to try to throw in Mon or Tues, I'll see how it looks/rides after that and go from there. I really do like the body lift the '86 had, and I know at some point I'm gonna get new tires, since these ones are at least ten years old and starting to get dry. I figured I'd might go bigger, so a body lift might be in order. The '86 rolled fine with 3" lift, but I didn't put it in, so I don't know how much of a b!tc# it would be to install.
Old 07-11-2010, 08:33 PM

So the weather ended up being nicer than forcast today, so I started in on the rear suspension.... I'll have some pics up tomorrow. Everything was alot easier to take apart than I expected.... I beginning to suspect this vehicle is not a NE original... it's got a little rust, but it's nothing like the '86....
Old 07-11-2010, 08:45 PM
RMA
Contributing Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

nice truck ..
Old 07-12-2010, 04:01 PM

thx rma!!! so here are said promised pics of what i managed to get done yesterday. I would have loved to spent the day in there again today, but the bills don't pay themselves... but tomorrow I hope to get everything cleaned up and repainted so I can start putting her back together... WOOT!!!

so here's where I started....

two hours later (after I went to get 4-way... why don't I own one of these yet?

up close...

can you say stock???

fun cleaning project!!! at least they're still solid

yeah, that was fun to get out... anybody have any ideas on how to remove the top shackle bolt? Or better yet (and I feel like a complete retard asking this) can someone please tell me how to get my spare tire out? I can't use it anyways, it's stock size, and if I could get it out, I could actually swing the hand sledge at the bolt, not just tap it.

and this is the part where I almost dropped the rear axle on the ground (with brake lines and driveshaft still attached, mind...

Last edited by khat toy; 07-12-2010 at 04:09 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:46 PM

can anybody help me out with how to remove the spare, plz???
Old 07-12-2010, 06:07 PM

should crank down through a hole near the license plate with the long rod form the jack.....or you could probably booty-fab something to crank it down.......took mine off once, never been back on since.....all rusted.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:15 PM

ok, cool. thank you. I think the jack it came with is still in the holder inside the rear body panel, i'm guessing that would have the rod I need? It's rusted pretty solid, hopefully she comes off.... the one in the '86 bounced out one day when I was taking a corner, I had never touched it, couldn't figure out how to get it out. went back to get it and it was gone! lol. the tire was crap, but i wanted the rim.... guess someone else wanted it more. i'll see if i've got that rod and try to get it out tomorrow.
Old 07-12-2010, 06:17 PM

PB Blaster the heck out of it and give it a shot tomorrow.

g'nite
Old 07-12-2010, 06:22 PM

will do... i should buy stock in those guys, lol. and thx again!
Old 07-15-2010, 07:53 PM

yay sun!!! got under her again today, finished grinding clean the frame and repainting on the drivers side. tomorrow is reassembly and undercoating!!! i'll post pics in the morning.....
Old 07-21-2010, 05:52 PM

ok, so i kno i promised pics, i've just been busy and too tired to come on when i get in. I'll try to post some tomorrow...

Quick Reply: khat toy's 1986/1988 4Runner Build-Up Thread