86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

John101477's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2009, 09:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
at myyota, is it 17 inches above factory height including tires?

i would hope so, otherwise, that thing would look IMO kinda ugly. You better have fatty tires on that thing and make it look absolutely beastly
Old 03-08-2009, 09:54 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I forgot to mention that I would vote for leaving the spare in the stock location. I think it's better for center of gravity, keeps the cargo area free for cargo/sleeping, and keeps the roof free of anything. I'm not a fan of roof racks as they really provide a lot of resistance and fuel inefficiency on the highway in addition to the effects on COG. However if you must, you must. Also, in your case I would imagine a rooftop platform for photography could be handy. I hear varying reports on the long term durability of swing out carriers on the bumper. Check into them carefully if you decide to go that route. Keeping the tire underneath would also leave the bumper free for a swing out fuel can carrier and/or hi lift mount if desired. Finally, you guys that have experience with snow can tell me, what is the chance of getting a flat and being buried in snow at the same time? It just strikes me as unlikely.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:00 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by xzyragon
at myyota, is it 17 inches above factory height including tires?

i would hope so, otherwise, that thing would look IMO kinda ugly. You better have fatty tires on that thing and make it look absolutely beastly
That is correct, but its 14'' above factory height, not 17'' and it has 37x12.50-15 tires on it and it looks very good.
Old 03-08-2009, 10:45 PM

*thread jack on*
Dang myyota, thats a lot of lift with only 37s, I have 7in of lift and 37-13s!! Why so much... Pics or it didnt happen ...lol!!
*thread jack off*

Yeah I love my lockers...the detroit in the back is nice, but kinda quirky, it doesnt unlock around corners, because of the lack of weight in the back, and the boggers give enough to keep it locked...but wet weather does suck! I can turn a corner with my foot off the gas and it will still get out from under me!! The ARB in the front is awsome though!! Nothing like true 4wd!!
Old 03-09-2009, 05:44 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by John101477
oh I'm always safe. The onboard air was an idea as well and thats exactly where i was gonna put it if i took out the spare. I had also thought of the roof rack as a light mount lol. I hate those light bars that they sell for over the cab....
I have not really researched the lockers enough to make a decision, but I do want something i can turn on and off for the wifey. I was checkin out ur rig as well it looks like a great , clean, rig.
Safe is good!!

One of the guys I wheel with (well we went out wheeling once so far) has a beautiful first gen runner with the spare tire mounted to the roll bar inside the cargo area. His tag here is nmtoy and I'll see if I can find a picture of it or track him down to see how he did it. The tire is a 33/10.50/15 BFG MT so I know a 31 will fit in there. It doesn't take up very much room in the cargo area and is secure. I was watching it when we went out to the hills and the tire doesn't move around at all. I think this may be the ticket for you.

I still think a shallow roof rack is a good idea also and I'm actually hoping you'll buy one and install it so I can see how it looks/works before I buy one. If you could find one about 4 inches deep that mounts to the hard top (yeah I HATE roof mounted light bars, the remind me of all my redneck friends back home in their huge chevy mud trucks) then it'd be short enough not to interfere with mpg etc and still deep enough to mount a few lights on as well as be usable for storage and a photography platform.

I think you've decided that you're going to go with a selectable locker like an ARB so the wife can still drive. Be sure and do a write up if you install it yourself.

Laters!
Old 03-09-2009, 04:55 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
[QUOTE=1989toy4wd;51082703]*thread jack on*
Dang myyota, thats a lot of lift with only 37s, I have 7in of lift and 37-13s!! Why so much... Pics or it didnt happen ...lol!!
*thread jack off*

Once i get my 4Runner done i will get a camera and put up some pictures, but right now all of my money is going into my 4Runner to get it done, and believe me, it looks good.

Old 03-09-2009, 05:07 PM

[QUOTE=1989toy4wd;51082703]
*thread jack off*

Interesting choice of words.......lol
Old 03-09-2009, 06:11 PM

[quote=a4runnerfreak;51083327]
Originally Posted by 1989toy4wd
*thread jack off*

Interesting choice of words.......lol
That is possibly the funniest thing i have heard this week.
Old 03-09-2009, 06:28 PM

Originally Posted by BLKNBLU
Nice rig. I like your train of thought on the build. I'm doing a major build on my '86, and in some respects, I wish I had toned it down a lot. Ah well, we do a lot of rockcrawling over here in AZ so it certainly won't go to waste. On your build I would certainly consider going ARB both front and rear. You also already have your air souce if you get the full size ARB compressor. I've heard reports that it is slow, but at least it is there, all the time, under hood, and doesn't have to take up additional space in your cargo area.

http://www.sonoransteel.com/phong/re...ic_locker.html

Best of luck with your build.
Originally Posted by Junkers88
Safe is good!!

One of the guys I wheel with (well we went out wheeling once so far) has a beautiful first gen runner with the spare tire mounted to the roll bar inside the cargo area. His tag here is nmtoy and I'll see if I can find a picture of it or track him down to see how he did it. The tire is a 33/10.50/15 BFG MT so I know a 31 will fit in there. I think this may be the ticket for you.

I still think a shallow roof rack is a good idea also and I'm actually hoping you'll buy one and install it so I can see how it looks/works before I buy one. If you could find one about 4 inches deep that mounts to the hard top (yeah I HATE roof mounted light bars, the remind me of all my redneck friends back home in their huge chevy mud trucks) then it'd be short enough not to interfere with mpg etc and still deep enough to mount a few lights on as well as be usable for storage and a photography platform.

I think you've decided that you're going to go with a selectable locker like an ARB so the wife can still drive. Be sure and do a write up if you install it yourself.

Laters!
As far as the ARB lockers i am seriously thinking on that direction, I never realized the amout of pain in the rear E lockers are.

The spare tire is still hard in the mind though-while I agree with BLKNBLU about the center of gravity, wheelin in the snow is very fresh in the mind (since there is still snow 20min from my house lol). If I do a roof mount i will probably build it myself and yes it will only be about 4inches tall. pluss with the dished out steel rims I am looking at I think it will equal out the change. (maybe!) I never start anything with out a drawing it up first so once I get my "blue prints" done I will have a more balance idea of the best route. LOL . The spare in the bach won't work. I have baby stuff and alll that jazz to haul around sometimes to. I am going to build that drawer system though. gotta carry the camera stuff and guns and fishin poles hahaha. plus I decided the milk crate full of recovery gear and tools is not the way to go. The Sub and amp will also be housed in the drawer system
Old 07-01-2009, 09:33 PM

Hey man nice Runner. I've got an 89' that I'm doing a mild build on. I'm looking for an expedition rig. It might be to late, but as far as the locker goes you could do like I did and pull the whole axle assembley out of a junkyard yota, it's cheap but it didn't last long and had to throw the stock one back under it but it was a very easy install and will do it again at some point. As far as the roof rack I will be doing one in a few weeks but I'll be buying mine from wilderness which may also be garvin. I'll post some pics of mine when I get a chance (just bought a camera and haven't had a chance to take pics of the truck) I'd like to see some more pics of yours and updates on the build.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:41 PM

So any new updates? I've done tons of stuff to my 4runner, have you John?
Old 07-02-2009, 01:45 PM

this is how she sits right now, ecept the rear is all torn apart for the locker to go in. waiting on my buddy and is impact wrench to remove some tough bolts.
Old 07-02-2009, 01:54 PM

a few things i have added here lately. am steel blue winch rope, TG rear bumper, put some dress up on the front grill (it was two colors before) took the top off of course, and did some spray liner in the bed.
future additions are a role out drawer/ sub woofer enclosure system, all theft resisitant. 26mm torsion bars and if need be BJ spacers. 1in body spacers and custom wheel well fabrication. the idea is to have it as high as needed and as low as possible.33's are the biggest tire i want to put on it. it will be semi squatty with clearance and no rub at max articulation. possible downey long travel ifs system.
Old 07-02-2009, 02:30 PM

this is how she sits right now, ecept the rear is all torn apart for the locker to go in. waiting on my buddy and is impact wrench to remove some tough bolts.
Looks good! Topless runners are great to wheel aren't they?

a few things i have added here lately. am steel blue winch rope, TG rear bumper, put some dress up on the front grill (it was two colors before) took the top off of course, and did some spray liner in the bed.
future additions are a role out drawer/ sub woofer enclosure system, all theft resisitant. 26mm torsion bars and if need be BJ spacers. 1in body spacers and custom wheel well fabrication. the idea is to have it as high as needed and as low as possible.33's are the biggest tire i want to put on it. it will be semi squatty with clearance and no rub at max articulation. possible downey long travel ifs system.

How did that bed liner go for you? I need to do mine but haven't been able to stay away from the lake long enough to get any work done on it.

This is me as of right now although I'm putting the top back on tonight for a run to Eagle Nest lake in the morning with the wife and puppy. (this is just an excuse to show off the truck. )

Oh and in case you're looking for a nice little tool set to keep in there Sears has a 192 piece set in a tri fold hard plastic box for 149$. I bought one today to keep in the back when I go somewhere since it's easier than loading up my 150-200lb tool box.

Any update on the rack for the top?
Old 07-02-2009, 07:22 PM

i think i have decided againsts the roof rack but have not totally convinced myself. with me trying to stay lower to the ground i may be able to add that with out screwing up my center of gravity. a buddy showed me what he did in his jeep cherokee and i have twice 10 inches of interior hight on him so i may attemp that. the drawer system will replace the rubbermaid box that houses recovery tools and oils. and if i can find the right stuff then it will be a double slider that can house dry goods for camping. also forgot to mention that i plan to build onto the stock role bar and semi cage the interior.