86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Jason in tn's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2011, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not realy an update on the runner but it ties in I finaly got insulation in my shop so mayby the weather wont play such a big part of what I get to do when Im home.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:37 PM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Scribed to your thread, I am re building an 86 4runner myself, With a wife and 2 kids mine is taking a lot of time. Good luck and keep us updated.
Old 01-19-2011, 04:44 PM

thanks yotarob only haveing a few days a month at home It seems like Im never gonna get this done but I will keep pluging away at I have some pics to post we I can get it done should give everyone a sneak peak at the color I going with
Old 01-20-2011, 06:09 PM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Hello Jason.. I was actually searching for someone elses build and came across yours. I always like seeing somebody else doing a project. I know what you mean by time and money and for me getting good weather. Just stay after it and it will happen. Like what I am seeing so far. Great job.
Old 01-20-2011, 08:42 PM

thanks man the support I get on here is priceless, thanks guys
Old 01-20-2011, 10:54 PM

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts
Woot, another 1st Gen on the way to "suweeeeeeeetness!" lol. Nice work and as was said, many times, 'KEEP IT UP AND DON'T GIVE IN!' haha.... you'll get it, man, and WOW, I was looking at the Paint scheme of the motor, thinking..... Hmmm, that looks so similar to how I did mine, ...wait,......2009?" hehhee.... LOVE the Purple Fuel Rail too!

Just for the heck of it, ....post a itemized list of "What's next" and "What's needed to GET'R'DONNNNNNE!", k? ....ok, PLEASE? Lol. Mine is an 87, so a couple things are different, but not many, ...and if I can help in any way, I'd love to, including 'lending' a couple donor parts if needed(and IF i have them, of course, )

Best wishes, and KEEP AT THAT GIRL TILL SHE GIVES! lol.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:00 PM

HEY, I just read back and you're really doing a good job man... and yes, like the bumper, too, as was said by someone else.

Just wanted to let you know, I have some tail light covers for the rear(just the plastic), if you need em. Right side has a tiny crack, but it's internal, not all the way through(hairline might be the proper word)...they're not 'perfect', but they're HELL SHY better than those on there, and they're fully legal. I just replaced em cuz they were getting a lil faded. They do have patch stuff for that. Anyway, if you want em and are willing to pay shipping, I'd gladly help a Fellow Yotatechy who's doing their own work, and struggling to find time! Let me know, k?

Mark
Old 01-20-2011, 11:02 PM

Here's a pic of them, right before removing em......

Old 01-20-2011, 11:19 PM

thanks for all the support and offers of help mark, I will post a list of whats next as soon as I figure it out lol, I feal like I have got in alittle over my head on this I wanted the whole truck to be as detailed as the engine but I dont know if I can keep up that pace. I would definatly pay you alittle for those tail lights the runner I bought for parts had good ones but I forgot to pull them off befor I hauled it off duh me.
Old 01-20-2011, 11:36 PM

I hear ya, .... I almost wept out of rage a couple times, man! lol. Just hang in there, trust me, .... Unless of course it's a lost cause and you're just not admitting it?.... which it doesn't seem to be, right? lol.

Don't worry about paying for them... I'll figure out a way you can pay for shipping through paypal or something and they're yours. Just be sure to ship em back if you decide to drive it off a cliff, ok? hahaha. I still have the boxes and larger box they both go in with all the padding, etc. Probably would be like 10-12$ to ship, sound good?

The list will be good. NEVER KNOW, you might find someone in your area that's willing to help. 2 have helped me for DAYS, as I've helped another for about a week. IT'S IN OUR BLOOD, RIGHT? lol. Just thought, a detailed, clean list of agenda, etc., would be a good idea. Plus, people don't like to read back if it's all over the place, ya know?

Ttysoon,

Mark
Old 01-20-2011, 11:57 PM

you are correct I need to get a list not just for here but for myself thats kinda what has stalled me now is being so scatered out, it seemed like I had a plan at some point but got realy off track somwhere along the way. I would love to help others for a little help in return my shop, tools and labor are there any time Im avaliable. I love workin on anything and it doesnt have to be mine lol. the shipping on the tail lights sounds great thanks and no worries about pussing it over a cliff I trying to prove somthing to myself no where near ready to give up.
Old 01-21-2011, 03:39 AM

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Jason, I am sure that you can find all of the support and motivation you need to finish that project right here in this thread. There are a few really great guys scribed to your thread now, just let us know what you are doing and how we can help.
Old 01-23-2011, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
To bad we didnt live closer. Im the same way. It doesnt have to be mine for me to get excited about working on one. I would enjoy working on yours just as much as I would mine. Just want to keep encouraging you. You ,yotarob and others, really do help keep me on the path of "Im going to get something done today". Im by myself on this project and what I would give to have another set of eyes or hands at times. If you have questions or need some sort of help let me know.
Old 01-23-2011, 03:08 AM
YotaTech Milestone-Two Millionth Post

Received 122 Likes on 57 Posts
Jason,
Absolutely, positively, when I was doing my motor, more often than not, I thought "what in THE hell am I doing here?".....being that I had no mechanic experience / body work experience etc....I walked away from my projects more often than I worked on them. Time and money were also prohibitive factors but motivation was the biggest. Actually, more like fear of the unknown was the biggest.

I had plenty of support from the guys subscribed already in this thread, along with others.......you will find that there are several "regulars" on here that become common denominators when it comes to motivation and knowledge.......I like to think I am now one of them.

At the tail end of my original thread (THREAD "A").....I provided a little motivational quote I heard in regards to undertaking such a huge project......."how do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time." divide your "sub" projects up......"need to do"...."nice to do"....."absolutely HAVE to do"....and carry on that way. whenever I made a list of what I was going to get accomplished, I could rest assured I was only going to get about 1/2 of it done.

I cracked myself up in my thread the one time me and LUMPY were going back and forth one day by saying (and I only paraphrase here, but you'll get the idea)......"this project is like making Thanksgiving dinner.........all the little sub-projects are like the veggies and gravy and pies and all that but it all comes together to make 1 big meal.......and eventually turns to crap.......hahahahaha"

life and all kinds of stuff got in the way most of the time.....that's the way it is.....

so we are all kinda similar here.....each of us with our little niche that we can chime in about....we've all been in the same boat at some point here.

Last edited by 92 TOY; 01-23-2011 at 03:10 AM.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:06 PM

I can tell you guys how much I apreciate the encouragment. I never realy gave up on this just kinda ignored it till I start reading yaalls threads and the think man I gotta get goin on this. you guys have all opened my eyes to somthings the past few days I need to get a plan together [thanks mark] I need to break progects into sub progects[thanks 92] so I feel like Im acualy getting somwhere. And I will be looking to yaall for a lot of advice. Ok enough of that for awhile been home for a few days and been working trying to get my shop back together after the insulation deal , we have afew more days at home so Im hopeing to get alot done. This is my start to a short term plan atleast for this time at home, I want to get as much of the body work done meaning filler etc as possable so i can get it in sealer for now. I want to get the engine bay degreased and washed ready for paint. the next time home I want to get the engine bay painted and reinstall the engine and tranny, this is where my first series of questions begins, I have not bought my clutch yet and was wondering if I need to look for a certain one or if jast a parts store setup will do, I not so much woried about hearing it run just getting some of it back together for now.
Old 01-24-2011, 05:17 PM

You will get TONS of conflicting advice, Jason, regarding "Should I get a particular one?".... but just remember, OEM ALMOST ALWAYS lasts the longest.... IF, in fact, you are doing a fairly STOCK build. Even at times you're not, it is still the best route, as MOST of their stuff is just, well, 'MADE TO LAST'. A stock clutch kit would be AISIN, ...but, you CAN find Daikin/Exedy Clutch Kit's for quite a bit less that are 'MADE IN JAPAN'... Most are not and are now made in China(right Jerry? ....can't be sure, think it's China).

Anyway, ....depends as well on your needs. Are you going to turn this into a super crawler? Well, then you'll probably want something from Marlin, Centerforce or the like.... If more of a DD that you occasionally wheel, then maybe a Daikin will be fine. Exedy bought Daikin, and you will find that, most often, as the 'Available Kit' in most aftermarket sites. If you search carefully, and insist on 'PROOF' that the Daikin/Exedy is made, FULLY, in Japan....then you will have a good clutch in that for a DDriver/Moderate Off Roader. I stomped on my Daikin in my 86 for 80K MILES! ...>It still had meat on it when I totaled the rig. It also wheeled fine. But, again,.... it was from Daikin/Exedy-Japan.

LCE and several others have good clutch kits, .... even Wabfab, now that I think about it, has a good one.

Here's the other thing.......

HD Marlin or Centerforce Clutch Kit; 380$ or so......

Daikin Exedy Clutch Kit; ................165$ or so...... LIL DIFFERENCE, EH? lol.

List what you're going to use this rig for, EXACTLY, and how far you're going to go with it(build UP wise)... and MANY people here can give you, heck, even A LINK! lol.

Mark

PS> The stock OEM clutch I just replaced when I rebuilt?.... 162K MILES, and still had meat on it and didn't slip, AT ALL!
Old 01-24-2011, 05:29 PM

ok mark that what I was afraid of, I think my plans dictate a more sturdy [at least than a cheap parts store setup]. as soon as I can figure out how to get it in order I will get all my plans posted.
Old 01-24-2011, 06:33 PM

ok Im going to go over my plans for this build again, let me start by saying that my runner is just a progect meening not a DD on any level. that being said I dont want my progect to take forever to get done. the large plan is as follows.
rebuild engine. done with lce cam and engine builder kit
s.a.s. sourceing parts
dual tcases.
paint and body work.
interior.
my plan is as follows reasemble the drive train up to the transfer case the I will get my tcase kit ordered, I will not compromise on the trail worthyness of this truck and it will not see a trail until it is done so its gonna be awhile, however not as long as I once thought.
when the drivetrain is done and the engine is running and all is done there I will be starting the S.A.S not sure yet whose kit Im going to use but that is a while off. this should be a good start.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:24 PM

got sme glass and filler work done not as much as I wanted to but gaining, have to head back to work tomorow so the engine bay didnt get done like I had hoped snow again today and just to cold to do it outside. Im still gonna give it all Ive got to get the engine back in my next time at home. got a few pics I will try and get them up later.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:30 PM

Oooooh, SAS eh? lol. That'll be fun, Jason! I like the line in your last post....... 'GIVE IT ALL I GOT!" lol.... reminds me of Scotty on Star Trek!

GO GET EM, JASON! whip that things arse! lol. Seriously... once you get on a roll, I KNOW that thing will start accelerating in progress, ya know? PERSEVERE! lol.

Quick Reply: Jason in tn's 1986 4Runner Build-Up Thread