86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Ivory Build-Up (86 4Runner 22RE)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2012, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oh im likin it down here, the summers or beyond humid and suck ass, winters are wet, very wet but its different from Cali, and thats really what I wanted. Ill be moving to Houston in a couple months so that will be another change. I have also noticed the people tend to be a little nicer. and the food is amazing.

so to make the hyperlink....

type out what you want the link to be called, mine was "Build Thread"

highlight it, then click on the button that looks like a globe with a paperclip at the bottom of it.

a window will pop up asking for the actual link you would to be directed to when you click on "build thread", copy/paste it in there.
(this would be the current link you have for your build thread)

click ok and then "preview post" if you like it, submit it, if it needs changes, change it.

git it Chris haha!
Old 03-17-2012, 10:42 AM

No clutch pressure

So I was driving home last night and as I went to down shift, I pushed on my clutch and there was absolutely no pressure behind the pedal... I was able to get it to the side of the road and parked... I checked my pedal, it is attached to the push rod... checked my master cylinder and it has fluid in it. I had to use the starter to limp 4 miles home but I got there. I'm thinking it is either the master or the slave but I don't have time to work on it until monday. Any suggestions?

I have a new master cylinder at home so that will be my first replacement on monday but I was figuring I should just do the slave at the same time, seeing as how I have no idea the last time it was changed. Any insight would be really appreciated.
Old 03-18-2012, 10:36 AM

Back on the road...

Put in a new clutch master cylinder this morning, bled the lines and she's back on the road.

OUT WITH THE OLD.

IN WITH THE NEW.
Old 03-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Contributing Member

fwiw my slave went a few mos. ago and the symptoms were the same...
Old 03-18-2012, 01:58 PM

ya i will most likely do my slave in a week or so, but i had a new master cylinder at my house so i figured i'd replace that first and see if it fixed the problem... After the install my clutch seems to be working flawlessly, with more pressure behind the pedal than before.

I'm pretty much making as many cheap replacements as i can right now because i have no idea when a lot of the work was done in the past... I'm hoping within the next two weeks i can get the truck completely leak free.
Old 03-18-2012, 03:19 PM

HEy great thread.. Have you thought of maybe going with a blazeland LT kit? you would have to drop some cash but I have only hear positive things about them. I'm going to get one for mine .... someday. haha good luck thought
Old 03-18-2012, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by B-yodaful
HEy great thread.. Have you thought of maybe going with a blazeland LT kit? you would have to drop some cash but I have only hear positive things about them. I'm going to get one for mine .... someday. haha good luck thought

Thanks man... She's coming along slowly but surly. To be honest I haven't even thought about the kit... As of right now i'm just trying to get her mechanically sound and a little more functional because she is my daily driver. I just checked out that LT kit and it looks fantastic. That may very well go on my wish list once i figure out the direction that i really want to go with it.

I'm excited for tomorrow, I'll be working on my truck in a GARAGE. I can't tell you how much walls and warmth help me stay motivated to work. More updates and pics coming soon.
Old 03-18-2012, 04:00 PM

Yeah. Well enjoy the day tomorrow
Old 03-21-2012, 10:23 AM

Leaks leaks and more leaks

I've been battling leaks ever since i got my runner... After doing my tcover gasket i'm now leaking from the water bypass line for where the turbo would go if i had one...

I stole this photo (my pipe is not cut)but figured i'd use it so you could see exactly what i was talking about... I was able to silicone around the plate but it appears like i'm still leaking...

I'm kind of at a loss of what to do... My next idea would be to drain the coolant and silicone behind the plate and silicone the bolts...Any suggestions?
Old 03-29-2012, 08:37 AM

Little update on 'Old Ivory'

I think i solved the coolant leak but she is still leaking some oil... This past monday i re-sealed the water bypass and siliconed and tightened every bolt in my oil pan (I don't think all of them got tightened down during the new oil pan install)... As i was under there i noticed oil pooling on the front passenger side corner of my oil pan, after some investigation it looked like the oil was coming from the tcover seal (that i just did. grrrr).

I removed the a/c compressor and bracket to get a better look and when they were removed it was pretty obvious where the leak was coming from. There was a good 3 inches of seal that were sopping in oil... I don't know if i folded over the gasket during installation, or some how beveled the edge of the tcover while trying to clean and remove the previous seal.

Anyways, not to worry, tito and I will be back at it on monday... we're most likely just going to double team the tcover gasket early in the morning, and then go wheel after the install. Tito finally has his 86 xtra cab fully operational and ready to go. Going to be a good monday.
Old 03-31-2012, 11:15 AM

Did a little sketch for my future paint scheme... I'm most likely going to do Gun Metal everywhere that isn't blacked out.
Old 04-04-2012, 04:38 PM

that would be a really good look Chris, I was thinkin of doing something similar with my hood... flat black, with a scoop.
Old 04-04-2012, 08:31 PM

4runner comming along nicely. are you selling any of the gray door panels or arm rests. i need some for my 4runner also located in sparks
Old 04-05-2012, 09:18 AM

Originally Posted by ddoratt
4runner comming along nicely. are you selling any of the gray door panels or arm rests. i need some for my 4runner also located in sparks
Thanks man... When i replaced my doors, I actually switched out the new 87 panels for my original 86 panels ... The 87's were fabric and super stained, i ended up tossing them... I may still have the arm rests but i'll have to check.

Thats awesome that you are in sparks... we should get together and wrench or wheel... Where in sparks are you?
Old 04-05-2012, 09:35 AM

Off vista and Los altos give me a call if you have handles 240-6088
Old 04-05-2012, 09:40 AM

haha... i live in Winfield... we're like 2 miles apart.

Ya i'll look, I don't have a garage, so everything is in the back of my truck or tucked away down at my shop in sac... i'll look here and make a few calls
Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 AM

Let's meet up some time
Old 04-10-2012, 11:30 AM

tackled a huge mountain yesterday
Old 04-15-2012, 04:41 PM

HOLY MILES! that is awesome Chris
Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 AM

New tcover gasket, exhaust manifold, exhaust gaskets

Did quite a bit of work on my truck the past few days... I had to re-do the timing chain cover gasket because i was leaking after the install from a few months ago... I took my time, got it done, and i'm pretty confident in the job. Thus far no leaks.

A few weeks ago i got a new denso O2 sensor from rock auto... I was having a bad day and decided i needed to do some wrenching. The first thing i did was go to change my sensor... About 5 minutes later I sheared the bolt head off inside my exhaust manifold... Thankfully I had a spare manifold laying around, so along with the tcover gasket i replaced my manifold and all the exhaust gaskets... When i got the manifold off (thanks to PB blaster it was super easy) i noticed that the stud pattern was different and the previous owner was missing two studs, one of which he had replaced with an exterior bolt. Also the manifold to pipe flange was being held on with two bolts instead of three studs... I put two new exhaust studs in the head, and replaced all three studs in the pipe flange.

The only thing i am missing are the two bolts that plug the center holes on each side of the manifold. Right now it is a little louder than normal. haha

I snapped a few photos along the way.

This is a must have when doing the tcover

tcover and exhaust manifold removed and ready for install.

New manifold, two studs, 8 nuts, new o2 sensor, and gaskets ready to be cinched down

Quick Reply: Ivory Build-Up (86 4Runner 22RE)