86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

duckyaz's 1992 4Runner Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
duckyaz's 1992 4Runner Build-Up Thread

this time i'm stickin with it for sure. my 4runner got delivered today after waiting a month for the guy to bring it from prescott. i'll start with some history. the 4runner started out a couple years ago as my sister's ride. it started going to and got a jdm 3vz put in it. lots of my dad's money went into lil sister's ride such as: brand new radiator, brake booster, jdm engine, air intake, and some other things. my dad didn't feel like doin the work so had his brother-in-law, my uncle do the work(he owns a garage). tip here, don't have family do work on your vehicles, especially when said family member's wife is one of those type of women you would prefer not to even speak to. my uncle pretty much jacked up the installation and jerry rigged a bunch of stuff, and the jdm engine also had a bad crank. wobble jacked the tranny up, and the motor was screwed to begin with. sister sold it to a cousin from a different side of the family for 400 bucks, and we all thought it was just the tranny. cody, the cousin who bought the 4runner put some work into it and fixed the jerry rigging and had it goin good for all of about a week or 2 until the bad crank broke what it could in the engine. he then started selling it to a guy from his work, and the guy gave him 200 down and was going to pay the rest of 500 bucks, then i came into the picture. i rear ended somebody in my 92 xtra cab, and started thinkin of how i could get a parts vehicle to repair the front end, and remembered the 4runner. i texted cody and asked if the guy he sold the 4runner to wanted to sell it, and he texted me back the next day and said yep, 500 bucks. i gave cody 100 the next day and a couple weeks later i paid the rest of the 400. he covered what guy still had left to pay him, and gave dude back the 200 bucks he had given cody. 4runner got delivered to my place today, and here is where i stand: i bought the 4runner to repair the front end on my xtra cab, and use for more parts. after looking over the 4runner, i have decided that it is in much much much better shape than my xtra cab. so, instead of taking apart the 4runner to use for parts, i'm gonna take the motor out of my xtra cab and put into the 4runner. i'm going to get a 4wd transmission and put it in the 4runner. i found a few on craigslist for around 200-300 bucks. then i will probably sell the transmission and rear end and whatever else out of my xtra cab and then retire it to the junk yard, and find a stock 2wd 92-95 reg cab short bed 5 speed 22re to build a mini out of. i'm not gonna pull the motor out of my wrecked xtra cab until i get a transmission for the 4runner though. i can still drive the pickup til then too. and now here's some pics of the 4runner:

Last edited by duckyaz; 03-13-2010 at 03:10 PM. Reason: fixed it so nobody gets offended....
Old 03-13-2010, 02:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Nice looking 4Runner, looks like its worth fixing up. I would suggest that you change the referance above before one of the mods sees it, it not appropreiate language for the forums. Personaly it doesn`t bother me but it might others.
Old 03-15-2010, 09:31 AM

i made my mind up to mess with this bad boy cause it's in a lot nicer condition than my pickup, and i need 4wd.

today i started on some lil things on it like takin all the window stickers off and getting all the fender and body moldings off of it. i don't like em, not one little bit. just got bored today and started messin with it.

plans are to get a motor and tranny in it first. prerunner front and rear bumpers. probably gonna weld em myself or have my old man do it so i get what i want. also gonna figure something out for the spare tire so i can get rid of the little crank and cable up underneath. get rid of the mud flaps. 31x10.5x15 bfg all terrains that my cousin just took off his jeep cause he lifted it. put an amp and 10" sub in it cause i already have a pioneer head unit and rca's are already ran. get it sprayed with yellow helicopter primer. that primer is awesome. tough as nails. gonna also cut the back carpet out right behind the back seats and do the do it yourself bedliner in there, cause i hunt and don't want to worry about gettin blood out of the carpet. then i gotta make up my mind to get either a 16' bass boat or a 94 or 95 reg cab pickup. probably get the boat, then the pickup. i gotta go fishin, and i've been puttin off buyin a boat for a long time.

Last edited by duckyaz; 03-15-2010 at 05:27 PM.
Old 03-15-2010, 05:29 PM

got the back carpet out. it was real easy. there is a sewed seam right where i wanted to cut at the bottom of the back of the back seats.

Last edited by duckyaz; 03-15-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-17-2010, 04:32 AM

not much of an update, but got my toyotaminis stickers and put the reflective one on the back window. it's centered at the bottom of the window.