86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

chrishf12's 1990 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2010, 07:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I never realize how small the tires actually are until I see the pics on here...
Old 03-17-2010, 08:14 PM

Hey Chris could you tell me how you removed your graphics please. I also have a 1990 ext cab pickup but i cant seem to figure out how to remove the graphics. I thought it was the graphics were just old and melted to the truck but you did it and it looks really good. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Andy
Old 03-17-2010, 08:49 PM

Ok im going to try and explain this so everyone can understand it because most people on here seem to have trouble removing them, and mine came off leaving almost no residue.

All I used was a heat gun and a razor blade. it doesn't matter the brand but if you want to look it up the one I used was from ACE. I simply heated one corner of the graphic and lifted it with the razor blade. With the heat gun in one hand I peel the graphic with the other hand keeping the gun 6-8 inches in front of where the graphic is actually coming off of the body. Do not use the razor to scrape off the graphic as it will leave the glue residue and it can be aggravating to remove.

If you can feel the sticker stretching while it is coming off you are heating it too much. Simply move the gun away from the vinyl for a few seconds. The object is to heat up the glue underneath and keep the vinyl on top strong enough to pull on. If you start to see adhesive being left on the body then heat the graphic a little longer. If you keep the distance between both hands correct all you have to do is either slow down or speed up how fast you are pulling off the graphic.

If there is adhesive left on your paint afterwards it can be cleaned off with a little starter fluid or lacquer thinner on a rag it will not hurt the paint. If there is a bunch left on the paint where the whole graphic was then I recommend going to napa and buying 3M general purpose adhesive cleaner. You can squirt it directly on the paint (its what its made for) and then the leftover adhesive can be scraped or wiped away. If you prefer to scrape it away then there is a little trick I learned to keep the razor from digging in. Using a new razor blade find a clean window on your truck and drag the blade backwards on the window a few times. This shapes the edge of the blade up keeping it from digging into your paint as easy.

Its relatively easy once you get the hang of it I finished my whole truck in under 30 minutes today. But then again I have removed more stickers than I can count from vehicles before. Practice makes perfect!
Old 03-18-2010, 08:28 AM

hey Chris thanks for the useful tips. I might try it today if i have time.
Thanks
Andy
Old 03-18-2010, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
so now that you have it looking and running good, whats your plans for it?
Old 03-18-2010, 01:10 PM

scribed!
Old 03-19-2010, 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by BackGateYota92
so now that you have it looking and running good, whats your plans for it?
Finish paying it off! Then on to the new parts and mods! First off is tires.
Old 03-19-2010, 11:13 AM

i vote 33x12.50's and bj spacers or body lift. lol thats would look nasty on your rig
Old 03-19-2010, 10:30 PM

well hopefully when i get it payed off it will be a toytec 2" kit, tires, and shocks
Old 03-20-2010, 02:23 AM

if you dont mind me asking how much did ya steal this thing for??? lol
Old 03-20-2010, 07:31 PM

it would have been a lot cheaper to steal it!

got it for 1800 my dad bought it and is helping me out by letting me pay for it as I go. I would almost have finished paying him for it but I keep putting money into it to get it in drivable condition.
Old 03-22-2010, 02:45 AM

oh. 1800 aint bad at all man but what kinda bedliner did you use, how did you prep for it, and how was the installation??? thanks for the help
Old 03-25-2010, 06:26 PM

The bedliner wasn't bad at all I used the duplicolor roll on stuff, it probably wont last long but its better than nothing and I still have a bit to touch it up when I need it. To prep I wire wheeled the entire bed to scuff up the paint and remove the loose paint and rust spots.

My power steering pump whines until the truck warms up to operating temp. I have an extra one laying around at home that I may try to rebuild and switch out. To top it off when i parked the truck before I came back to college this week the idle wanted to lope when i applied the brakes. I know this is common on the 3.0s and the 22res at times but im hoping its just a fluke. If not I guess Ill be adding changing the fuel filter and maybe the fuel pump sometime soon.

Ok so on a different note I got a little bit of money for my bday and I don't know how to spend it....So help me out.

Right now the things that I NEED to do are...

-fix knock sensor wire (truck still giving code 52)
-get seat recovered ~$150
-fix power steering wine
-fix A/C compressor
(the pulley doesn't line up with the crankshaft pulley so I took off the belt so it wouldn't ruin it)

The things I WANT to do next are...

-Tires
-Rear MC bumper
-Paint

So whats the verdict?? I need some input if yall don't mind.
Old 03-26-2010, 04:34 PM

i say you skip the whole parts needed list and buy the parts wanted. haha
Old 03-26-2010, 05:25 PM

Depends on how much $ and what you can do yourself. I would pass on getting the seat recovered. You can find JY or CL seats for $50 that are much more comfy than the stock seat.

Im digging the budget build. I have right over $2K into mine now.
build thread here: http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota...-89s-rule.html

Last edited by X88&94GT; 03-26-2010 at 05:26 PM. Reason: added link
Old 03-27-2010, 07:23 PM

Originally Posted by BackGateYota92
i say you skip the whole parts needed list and buy the parts wanted. haha
Thats always the idea!

Originally Posted by X88&94GT
Depends on how much $ and what you can do yourself. I would pass on getting the seat recovered. You can find JY or CL seats for $50 that are much more comfy than the stock seat.

Im digging the budget build. I have right over $2K into mine now.
build thread here: http://forum.ih8mud.com/79-95-toyota...-89s-rule.html
Well as of right now I have about $300 after all my 21st bday expenses. HA I do everything on this myself all mechanics, lift, installations, paint, body, cleaning, everything except upholstery and I have a friend for that...so I usually get stuff done cheap except for buying the parts and I get discounts on those.

I had a set of sr5 buckets around that I gave away...im still partial to the bench seat sometimes its fun to have someone squished up in the middle beside ya.

P.S. you have a good looking 89 but i would definitely ditch the running boards it will make it look 100 times better IMO. replace them with some sliders!

Last edited by chrishf12; 05-13-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 03-27-2010, 07:32 PM

good work..
Old 03-27-2010, 08:08 PM

Originally Posted by chrishf12
Thats always the idea!

Well as of right now I have about $300 after all my 21st bday expenses. HA I do everything on this myself all mechanics, lift, installations, paint, body, cleaning, everything except upholstery and I have a friend for that...so I usually get stuff done cheap except for buying the parts.

I had a set of sr5 buckets around that I gave away...im still partial to the bench seat sometimes its fun to have someone squished up in the middle beside ya.

P.S. you have a good looking 89 but i would definitely ditch the running boards it will make it look 100 times better IMO. replace them with some sliders!
Thanks for the compliments. Its almost exactly what I wanted and everything has panned out well. Even got my sub and amp installed last night and today. Although the ebay sub seems to be blown.

I plan to get rid of the running boards, I just got the truck a few months ago and my wife was 8 months preg so she needed the running boards. They are OEM boards so I am hoping I can find someone wanting a set as they are nice for a DD. I dont wheel much anymore and nothing hardcore so these work for now, but sliders are on the list.

I say do your needed items first. Summer is almost here and you are going to want A/C, I wouldnt expect many of the other ones to cost you too much. (Hold off on the seat, its not really needed.) The stick back some $ for tires, after you get 3 or 400 together keep an eye on craigslsit or local forums, (nc4x4) you can get a nice set for that much, just make sure they are not too old. Good luck, Ill keep watching.
Old 03-29-2010, 08:55 AM

I hate to say it, but the necessities should probably take first priority
Old 03-29-2010, 10:50 AM

Originally Posted by graduatedpine
I hate to say it, but the necessities should probably take first priority
Yea I know and thats more than likely what will happen. Im just dreading taking the engine down...but it would be good to get the knock sensor fixed to get the CEL off, adjust the valves, clean the TB, and all that.

Quick Reply: chrishf12's 1990 Pickup Build-Up Thread