86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Baby Beast Morph 2

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 02:26 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by AxleIke
Thanks man, but I hope you stay as excited after the updates keep coming in....LOL. Sometimes my ideas and builds go a bit haywire
nothin wrong with haywire...
Old 12-08-2010, 05:51 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Zelephant
That is an absolute steal what you got that truck for! I must admit, I'd be building it back if it were me. Maybe because my truck isn't nearly as built as yours!

Good luck and have fun!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by space-junk
nothin wrong with haywire...
Meh, I'm too obsessive about my crap for haywire. Kinda why the 3 link is going bye bye.
Old 12-10-2010, 07:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subbed!
Old 12-11-2010, 07:32 AM

Found it, sorry for junking up the Morph thread. Is that a full Detroit in the parts truck or an EZ? I want it if its full and you're willing to separate from the front.

That's insane what you got that parts truck for!
Old 12-11-2010, 07:40 AM
Contributing Member

Its a full detroit. At this point, I'm not sure if I want to seperate, and I won't have the diffs pulled for a while.
Old 12-11-2010, 08:12 AM

It's cool, I wouldnt need it for a while as it'd be for an sas.

Are those MTR's on 10" wheels? They look pretty ballooned.
Old 12-13-2010, 01:13 AM
Contributing Member

So when do Troy and I fly out for the week long marathon of wrenching?
Old 12-13-2010, 08:30 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Lysmachia
So when do Troy and I fly out for the week long marathon of wrenching?
Not for a bit. The 3.0 is running great now. Bad knock sensor and loose valves.

Just finished a 4.3 gear swap and an elocker conversion on my dad's runner. Next up is the SC. THEN, I can start figuring out the progression for Baby Beast
Old 12-13-2010, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

Time it for next summer... LOL In fact we do have to come back for my sisters wedding on June 18th...
Old 12-25-2010, 06:16 AM
Contributing Member

Change in plans.

I just picked up a HP front diff with an ARB and 4.88's built by Marlin, and still in the box, never been used.

So, the TC kit is going up for sale, and I'm building the FJ80 axle I've had sitting around for years. 3 link with CO's for the front, and Hellfire fab knuckles and high steer.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:04 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
This deeply saddens me... After being a grassroots hero, persay, and doing things the unconventional way, you decide to go SAS...

I won't quit following your build, but I am no longer as excited as I was before... Hahaha...
Old 12-25-2010, 08:59 AM

x2 about going SAS.....
when I get back to the U.S. if you still have any of your modded IFS stuff and want to sell, (steering, LT, etc) I'd be interested. I'll let you know when I get back around March. Don't imagine they'll be alot left by then.......
Old 12-25-2010, 09:01 AM

Feel the need to add that at least you took the IFS as far/further than it would go!
Old 12-25-2010, 09:48 AM

Using an fj80 axle is still semi unconventional. Can't wait to see the swap! Are you keeping the same completion date?
Old 12-25-2010, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Yikes. Didn't know this would be so upsetting! LOL.

Yah, I know I've been an IFS fan, and I still am. But the price was right, and I'm starting my doctoral program next fall. I want to get this build and done so I can just wheel when I'm in school.

I haven't changed my attitude. I've always known that SAS was stronger, and better for rock crawling. I set out to see if it could be done with IFS, and I'm satisfied that it can.

Now I'm going to build a low, DD style truck with a solid axle and good manners for running back roads. It'll be fun, and in the end, is what I planned to end up with anyway. I just had to jump on the deal I got for this diff. It was too good to pass up.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:01 PM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
I don't blame you, Ike. The IFS can be strong as hell. Especially when you know how to drive.

I'm collecting SAS parts now, too. My rack and pinion is starting to leak.. I'm still on original CV's.. (knock on wood) and all that with the lockright front diff.. but IDK..
I don't see a point in revamping my front suspension and steering with IFS parts when I can just SAS it and be done with it (I guess? LOL).
I've really never had issues with the IFS. Don't care for a whole lot of flex when I have lockers front and rear..

Anyway.. No reason anyone here should be upset. I'm sure you'll continue to push the limit in whatever stage of build you're at.

Old 12-26-2010, 06:54 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks scuba.

That's exactly it. I learned to drive, got good at it, and kept the suspension alive through just about anything. I had to revamp a few things, but all in all, it was great.

Its just time for something better. I am looking to run harder and harder trails, and even though my IFS would likely be fine, I'm starting to be stressed out when driving because some trails, I'm holding my breath wondering when something could let go. That isn't fun for me.

I'm also not building a buggy. I want a DD truck that'll run all but the worst trails, and drive at 75 on the highway. I've had enough alignments get screwed up to know that the return trip isn't always pretty with IFS.

I'll never stop advocating that for most people, the IFS is an ideal system, and that there is no reason to swap. Especially with the growing number of people wheeling 96 and later IFS.

Since this truck has been in my family for so long, this IFS its sitting on has wheeled California, New Mexico, Utah, including Moab, Colorado and Arizona. It has endured long trail days, difficult trails, and 1000 mile plus road trips at either end. That was all bone stock.

Now that I have it, Its had 10 years of getting beat pretty bad all over colorado and Utah. Its seen a ton of road miles, and a lot of hard wheeling.

Still has a front diff and front axles.

Funny how when I started out, people told me those would be blowing up right and left.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:56 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by stock as possible
Using an fj80 axle is still semi unconventional. Can't wait to see the swap! Are you keeping the same completion date?
Yeah, same completion date. Motor swap is staring first thing in January.
Old 12-26-2010, 06:58 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 91diesel
x2 about going SAS.....
when I get back to the U.S. if you still have any of your modded IFS stuff and want to sell, (steering, LT, etc) I'd be interested. I'll let you know when I get back around March. Don't imagine they'll be alot left by then.......
Eh, thats hard to say. I'm going to have to discuss it with my fiance (attorney) before any of that gets sold. Because I am in no way certified to do modifications like that, if something failed, I could be in a world of hurt financially, should someone sue.

That said, if I can be released of all liability by disclosing everything to you, then I'd be happy to sell it to you.
Old 12-26-2010, 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by AxleIke
Eh, thats hard to say. I'm going to have to discuss it with my fiance (attorney) before any of that gets sold. Because I am in no way certified to do modifications like that, if something failed, I could be in a world of hurt financially, should someone sue.

That said, if I can be released of all liability by disclosing everything to you, then I'd be happy to sell it to you.
Good point. You never know with lawyers and family members (you'd never have a problem with me though.....). I tried the 'right way' about getting a oak tree cut up for firewood (and cleaning up an eyesore in the city) in a overpass/offramp area and found out all kinds of neat things about liability. Like now, signing a release apparently doesn't hold up in court anymore, Lawyers, I love em'!

Quick Reply: Baby Beast Morph 2