86-95 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

87 Deathtraps' '87 4runner Build Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 04:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
87 Deathtraps' '87 4runner Build Thread

First off, a little history. I picked this truck up almost a year ago now, and aside from getting it running right I haven't touched it. A few weeks after I bought it, I got another '87 4runner and got distracted building that one, so this guy just sat in the driveway. I don't trust any of the work that the previous owner did, and intend to re-do almost everything. Fortunately, the parts alone are worth more than I paid for the truck. A few days after buying it, I decided that it should have a name. My 6 year old daughter blurted out "Dicey", having no idea what it meant (diceyunpredictable; risky; uncertain), perfect!

So, the previous owner had the head rebuilt but then couldn't get it to run right. I found the #4 injector unplugged, a large hole in the air intake tube, and several vacuum ports sucking air, easy fix, now it runs great. The guy had also done a sketchy SAS and high steer which I plan to re-do, but at least most of the parts are already there. Both diffs have different gears and the front driveshaft is non-existent, don't think I could get one on there anyway with the ridiculous amount of lift. Fortunately, the rear driveshaft was retubed and the rear diff has a grizzly locker.

Short term goals include lowering it with RUF & F150's in back (mounted correctly), front high pinion, front grizzly locker, 5.29 gears, a front driveshaft, and new tires.

Long term I plan to bob it, dual t-cases, front 3 link, and rear 4 link, if my bank account ever catches up.

Enough of my banter, here's some pics.

2x2" spacer above the hanger for lift

I plan to run tubes through the frame for the front shackle hangers and build a square driveshaft.

Look at those blocks! What a mall crawler!

Billet steering wheels are not practical in Phoenix!

Touch screen navigation with no off-road maps available. Why?

Dusty (the distraction) & Dicey

Last edited by 87 Deathtrap; 07-28-2011 at 04:53 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 05:54 PM

In anticipation of finally getting this truck kicked off, I ordered myself a new toy. It's a Hobart Handler 210. No more "I wonder if my Lincoln 100 will weld that" for me. I'm pretty excited to try it out!

Old 07-28-2011, 06:00 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
i think you need longer rear u-bolts, is that copper tubing that was used as spacers????

you are right, some dicey work on that truck...has potential though...
Old 07-29-2011, 10:08 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
i think you need longer rear u-bolts, is that copper tubing that was used as spacers????
No kidding! Most of them are some kind of steel tubing, but two look like bushing sleeves with rubber still on them. How hard would it have been to just cut off the excess length?!

Old 07-29-2011, 02:59 PM

Christmas in July

Marlin Crawler and the Fedex man really made my day today! My complete high pinion with a Grizzly locker and 5.29's came in along with the 5.29's and setup kit for the rear. Exactly seven days from when I placed the order, not bad!
Old 07-29-2011, 05:34 PM

Subscribe
Old 07-29-2011, 09:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
NICE!!!

Did you get in touch with Zuk? I talked to him today and he is looking forward to hearing from you.

Stacy and I are heading up to Potato Lake and possibly camping at Blue Ridge Resevior tomorrow.

Let me know if you need a hand with anything. If nothing else, I make a good tool b!tch
Old 07-29-2011, 10:08 PM

Wow! That's awesome man! I really appreciate it! I'll do a quick fund check and get a hold of him ASAP!
Thanks for the offer for the help! I'm sure that I will be sending out a lot of maydays on this one.

Last edited by 87 Deathtrap; 07-31-2011 at 12:53 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:47 PM

Looks like a fun project, definetly agree with the name you gave her I cant wait to see this runner bobbed. Are you going to put a custom soft top on her or keep the original back?
Old 07-30-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by Matty125
Looks like a fun project, definetly agree with the name you gave her I cant wait to see this runner bobbed. Are you going to put a custom soft top on her or keep the original back?
Thanks. Bobbing will be way down the road, but I plan to cut the top as well and take the material out of the rear most side windows. Something like this:

Last edited by 87 Deathtrap; 08-11-2011 at 09:25 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 12:46 AM

Help!

Dude! I wanna play....with your welder....I'm sure you've looked those welds over very carefully as you should've. That sure is one pretty HOBART you got there young man....I'll bring my .023 or .030 12lb spool, extra 75/25 mix and we'll light the night on fire... or I can bring my new toy over and we can knock that thing out it no time at all...two welders running simultaniously...oh, but you gotta spring for the pizza. Those shackles (spelling- it's been while) definitely need to go along with the booger weld's on the front frame reinforcement. HELL, let's really test that welder out, I'll cut and grind or better yet, I'll ask if I can borrow the shops plasma cutter for the weekend...just need an air compressor and 220v and we'd be in HOG heaven with that thing. I think I like your new project.? May I live vicarously (again-spelling) through you...PLEASE?

OH YEAH!-

SCRIBED!

-Ted
Old 07-31-2011, 06:23 AM

Thanks Ted! What's mine is yours man. Still trying to schedule with my brother-in-law (an electrician) to get my shop wired for 220V so that I can actually use it. I've got a full tank of 75/25 mix for it to, just need somewhere to plug it in . I may need some pointers on this mig stuff though, arc & oxy/acetylene came pretty easy, so hopefully this will too. Looked over most of the welds, some look professional, others look like the guy was drunk . The plasma cutter sounds like a lot of fun.

That front hanger is toward the top of the list. I was going to try to salvage it but decided it wasn't worth it, TG sells them for $50.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by 87 Deathtrap
Thanks Ted! What's mine is yours man. Still trying to schedule with my brother-in-law (an electrician) to get my shop wired for 220V so that I can actually use it. I've got a full tank of 75/25 mix for it to, just need somewhere to plug it in . I may need some pointers on this mig stuff though, arc & oxy/acetylene came pretty easy, so hopefully this will too.

That front hanger is toward the top of the list. I was going to try to salvage it but decided it wasn't worth it, TG sells them for $50.
So glad you saw what I saw and you even bought a new front bracket. GOOD JOB NATE! If your brother-in-law is an electrician, I need his number too!...well, is he good at what he does first? Has he wired 220v before with a dedicated circuit? Pointers...ABSOLUTELY! You've been using Flux Core to this point right? Using shielding gas just get's prettier. Still have a little clean up, but a much nicer weld...technique plays a big roll...get that down and they'll come out looking great. I finally got my Oxy-Acetylene set up too. The brother-in-law FINALLY took it out of storage in Calif. and brought it with him for our wedding. I have 2 knee high bottles of both bottles. Still need to get a couple of tip's but with a little adjusting I can weld with what I have. Nate, give me a call when you're ready to do some work on your rig. Seriously! I've said it before and I'll say it again: "You're a good person and I'd be more than happy to help you with just about anything!" I draw the line at sexual favors though....now gettin' a hooker and some beer....you got it, brother...but being married and all now, I think that would be frowned upon. Umm, I dont want to end my post on that note either...SOOOO!? Give me a text or call when you want to do some or some ...you know I'm game...even in this heat.

-Ted
Old 07-31-2011, 01:35 PM

Ted, The brother-in law is good, he's just really busy so its tough to coordinate schedules. I'll send him your way after/if he does mine. I may be in over my head on this project, so some help from the great minds at yotatech as well as local hands on help may be just what I need, and it is appreciated.

So... Had a chance to pull the rear diff yesterday in anticipation of re-gearing . It seems this truck is going to maintain a consistent theme throughout. I just hope to reduce the pucker factor a little.

Started by draining the mud, whatever that is, ceased to be gear oil a long time ago.

I'm no gear expert, but I don't think those grooves should be worn into the locker. Didn't notice any gear damage, although the whole thing seems sloppy and loose. I can turn the flange with almost no resistance and it has a lot of play. Oh well, hopefully the locker can be salvaged.

4.88 gears, for 35's with an automatic transmission? No go!

Also went ahead and zapped off this locking lug nut with no key using the air chisel. Added another lug nut on the wheel as well, so its up to 3 . I'll be going back and replacing all of the broken studs and missing lug nuts later.

Last edited by 87 Deathtrap; 07-31-2011 at 04:27 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 03:02 PM

you know I'm game...even in this heat
I was about to say...damn it is hot as F out right now, even inside my garage it's pretty brutal, need to get some A/C going out there!

Rough looking rig so far but looks like you've got things on their way...I'll be following! Cheers!!

Last edited by roguedogg; 07-31-2011 at 03:04 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 06:39 PM

Originally Posted by roguedogg
I was about to say...damn it is hot as F out right now, even inside my garage it's pretty brutal, need to get some A/C going out there!

Rough looking rig so far but looks like you've got things on their way...I'll be following! Cheers!!
Been outside buffing and waxing my new DD and sweating up a storm...humidity makes it horrible. The heat I can deal with, just not the swamp Ass I get from the humidity.

Nate- I'll have to look, but I think I have all the old lug's from mine when I replaced the wheels. And, all you have to do is let me know when and where...aside from the family...I'll drop what I'm doing and be on my way in 10 minutes....sound familiar?

As to the 3rd member, the overall housing of the locker looks very much intact so it should be sound. It looks like who ever set those gears up had the pinion running way to deep. Or, the pinion bearing became so worn that it allowed the pinion gear to move in and out when throttle was applied or removed. This usually happens because the preload is set incorrectly on the pinion gear. ZUK should have a good laugh with that.

-Ted
Old 07-31-2011, 08:04 PM

Ted- That would be a huge help if you have those lug nuts! I'm trying to save as much money as possible on this thing so that I can afford to do the important stuff right.

And that's good to hear about the locker, a new one really isn't in the budget. Believe it or not, the guy I bought it from works/worked at a local gear shop and said that he set up the gears himself, I believe he really did now. Makes me even more timid about anyone other that Zuk setting up the new set.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:40 PM

WoW what a killer storm we got on the east side...did y'all get the same thing on your side of town? I was in my garage wiring up some backup lights and fixing the fuel sending unit when it hit...Had to close the garage door to keep the water out!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by roguedogg
WoW what a killer storm we got on the east side...did y'all get the same thing on your side of town? I was in my garage wiring up some backup lights and fixing the fuel sending unit when it hit...Had to close the garage door to keep the water out!
Yep! was gonna pull the rear bumper off after cutting and polishing my paint but had to shut the door too. Took the nicely polished DD for a spin in the rain and found out I don't have a posi or a locker in the rear...peg legged every corner I came loose on. Do they even make a locker for a 96' 2WD?....cause I want one if they do.

NATE- Looked for em' and at first glance, I didn't see them. I gave almost everything I had Yota related to the new owner...even the Taurus E-fan...but I kept the thermostat controller. I'll definitely take another look, just this time I'll look in the attic were most of my goodies are still sitting. SORRY to thread jack about our monsoon seasonal weather.

-Ted
Old 08-01-2011, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nate - You need lug nuts? I have the set that was on my 4Runner. When I got new rims they came with new lugs so I don't really need these anymore. i have alot of misc parts from my truck laying around, if you need something ask me, I just might have it!

Quick Reply: 87 Deathtraps' '87 4runner Build Thread