84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

UNO_Student's 1984 1/2 4Runner Build Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UNO_Student's 1984 1/2 4Runner Build Up Thread

Well i have got ideas on what how I want to build up my 4runner and could very easily do it but there was one problem i found when i was about to rip out my engine transmission and xcase and that was a rust hole in the frame about the size of a quater in the frame rail right in front of the passenger side rear front spring mount and i also found spray insualtion all throughout my frame rails and i was like wth why would someone do something so incredibly dumb a b/c all that stuff does is hold water and only holds water in the rails causeing even more rust than what you have to start with.

So neways i have decided to remove the body off of the frame and strip the frame down completely and cut the frame rails into two and remove the spray insulation and install new metal and fix all of the problem areas. So I pretty much have come to the conclusion that if I am going to all that work to fix that problem I am going to build this rig the way i have always wanted to. When i have the body off am I going to custom make a inside roll cage and make a complete front to back chassis of tubing as i want to completely gut my body only leaving a shell of the body and I want to hang my body panels onto the new roll cage/ chassis.

Since I would have a completely strong integral chassis with the body hung onto the chassis I also want to extend the front frame forks about 6-12 inches as i want to swap a Chevy 388 SM465 NP 205 Combo inplace out the stock powertrain as my chassis will be plenty storng enough to handle the amount of power i have planned. Also I need to extend the front frame forks that far because of how close the radiator sits to the water pump. Now If i Extend it that far out i will be able to run a rigid fan on the motor and plenty of clerance of the radiator. But that also brings up another cooling issue as with the amount of power i plan to make with my motor the thing will get hot very quick especially on trails and such so i want to run a 4core radiator and since i have to plenty of fab skills im pretty sure i could be able to find a 4core rad that will have close demensions i would need to fit width wise and length wise but height wise might be tricky as i dont want it to be too tall.

Well With all that work tied up in that the Hood fenders and front grill will need some attention but they need some the way it is now so i figure i might as well do it now if Ive gone through all that work so far into the project. Power Steering is another concern of mine as I was thinking about running the gm power steering pump and making a custom set of lines into the SAE fittings on the pump to the metric fittings on the steering box.

Now once I have all of the finished I have to beef up the axles now I am undecided on how i want to tackle that issue. I was thinking that I could potentially buy the longfield superaxles from trailgear for the front axle that out twist stock Dana 60 35 spline axleshafts and are gauranteed for life and cost as much as a dana 60 front axle and I wont have to worry about axle width and customizeing a dana 60 to fit the toyota. So with the front axle taken care of that leaves the weak rear axle which is the weak link in a high powered drivetrain so i was thining about converting the rear axle from a semi floating rear axle into a custom full floating piece and using GM disc brakes on the rear and calling moser axle to build a set of full floating rear axles as i have dealt with there products before in 800+ HP applications and have never experienced a problem with there product.

As i have said before I have alot of work just to fix the frame rails so i have gone ahead and decided to make it a fulltime rig and go wheeling/ mud running with it so this runner is being taken off the street for good. I also relize this project is gonna be some serious money as i have calculated how much the motor alone will cost to build but a perk about the cost of the motor is that all of the block work has been done for free and the only this left on the block to do is finish hone the cylinders to size and since the block has been CNC'd machined for free there is not much machine work left to be done so oney tied up in machine work has been limtited to about $200 left in finsh honing the cylinders but i might be able to get that done for free once i buy the pistons and be able to know what the finish size of each cylinder will need to be. All in all in the motor it will need about 3500k to finish and make about 750+ HP and be a reliable race motor.

Now with that motor complete i have a 1ton transmission and transfer case which should be able to handle that amount of power and i have a centerforce dual friction clutch for my small block chevy already. So i have big plans for this runner and i want to make this a one of a kind 4runner that noone else has done or even looks like someone else has tried to do. I plan to do this right the first time as whoever sees this rig for the first time i want to make there jaw drop and be able to think to themselves this kid has some great ideas and can make them work and knows what he is doing which is my overall goal.

I would like to do something thats so far over the top and pushes the limits cause I have aspirations and i only see this project as I springboard into what I want to do for the rest of my life because i actually enjoy it and have fun doing it.

Well anywho this project is not going to be a 1month thing or even a budget build but since I dont have very many expenses atm I figure i might as well do it now while i got no other expenses such as a wife or kids. I plan to have this done by next fall if not sooner as i plan to work my tail off to finish this because the 4runner just sitting in my backyard for so long with a blown motor is kinda ticking me off since i paid for it and i see alot of potential in it and be able to go to mudruns and have a legitimate shot of winning everytime i pull up to the line because atm i want to show people my skills and me having a winning vehicle that i built myself might be enable me to open a shop up and do that for a living and be able to employ other people and be able to give back to the community in the long run but thats down the road aways but this might project might help that overall goal. Anyways tell me what you think as i am always open to ideas and suggestions and feedback and I hope to hear from you guys on what you think about the project.
Old 08-19-2009, 06:00 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
sounds like a good build but good luck ordering a set of Longfield's from Trail-Gear