84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

navyRedneck's 1985 Pickup Build-Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 04:44 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Today I installed the 3" body lift by Roger Brown for the cab (to replace the old nasty body mounts and cracked pucks). After that I put the warn bull bar back on. It's been about 4 months since I took it off. Been waiting on AC but I think I can replace the hose and accumulator with the bull bar on.

Also discovered a wet carpet so I tossed that out until I can figure out the source of water (hoping it was from window cracked during rain the other day or something else simple).

3 in lift kit that I've had for a few months now

Removal of old mount

Old mount again

New mounts and pucks installed

Bull bar on the truck

Picture of $25 of new bolts from Lowe's.

Old 06-23-2007, 04:55 PM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
FYI: Find a local bolt supply store as Lowe's is about 150% high on their fastener prices.

Old 06-25-2007, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks, Wabbit, I'll try that. Lowe's knows that it has a monopoly on convenience and takes advantage of that.

Alright, I tried the reverse-the-shifter trick. It might have worked had I not already started with a rednecked condition. As is, though, it won't work. I guess I'll be ordering the shifter kit from 4crawler. Jeenyus04, you were right in that it shifts it to the passenger side but so much on my truck that it now contacts the cab metal and the tranny shifter (already bent from redneck-rigging before I owned it).

Found an AC accumulator/dryer. Looks like my AC system is from a 1971 to 1980 toyota. No one (and I mean no one) sells those hoses anymore so I'm still looking for a place to fix a hose for me.

Spent the rest of the day cutting out wiring from the cab and working on the shifter. Now I have a big ugly hole in the passenger door from someone installing a now-broken speaker. The tranny shifter seal is also all torn up so I'll replace it at the same time as I install the shifter kit.
Old 06-25-2007, 05:29 PM
Banned

You will have it ready just in time for the 5th Annual South East 4Runner Jam, June 12-15, 2008.

Old 06-30-2007, 04:51 PM
Contributing Member

AC is working!

Brian, do I need a crawler gear to do the Jamboree? That's one of the things I had not planned on doing at all. (although 1st gear in the woods is not low enough, hoping to get 4 low working so I at least have 1st and 2nd...) Depending on my job situation, though, I may be moving/working too many hours during that time anyway...

Picked up the truck from my mechanic. Here's the parts rundown:
1985 truck with pieced together AC system where 1985 AC parts don't fit....
-used NAPA book to find an accumulator that looked like mine with identical fittings, resulted in a 1971 to 1980 model Toyota accumulator/dryer for $25
-couldn't find any hoses that matched my connections so had custom hose built for compressor discharge, cost me $30 at Charleston Rubber and Gasket

Result is that my mechanic converted me over to R-134a and it's blowing cool air. The fan only blows in 2 of the 4 speeds and it sounds as if it will only do that for another week. That's probably another job I can look forward to but in the meantime I have AC for that 45 min transit everyday in the afternoon traffic. It doesn't bother me too much but everyone around me will be thankful for the AC

Next I'm installing the grill finally and then putting my winch back on. I have yet to test it out and it didn't come with a remote. If it works I can install the rockstomper synthetic line I bought.

My plan for next month:
-Order shift extension for my transfer case so I can start using 4 low.
-Prep interior and coat with durabak. They have a smooth finish that would work well in my interior without trapping dirt. I'll have to snap a picture of the floor but it's filthy and has scratches and gouges everywhere. No rust yet but I don't want to risk it. Hunting season will put a lot of dirt in the truck and it would be nice to have a good surface to prevent rust. Looking at doing a red color that will somewhat match the paint job.
http://www.durabakcompany.com/index.htm
-Redo rear brakes. Parking brake doesn't currently do anything (but get stuck on) and the rear shoes are nearly gone. Anyone have opinions on brake shoes? Toyota brand is too pricey for me at $50 a set. I'm currently thinking of getting the nicest non-metallic set I can find. Drums looked ok but I will probably get them turned just to clean them up a bit. Also hoping to replace a broken stud while I'm in there.
Old 06-30-2007, 05:33 PM

I enjoy reading this thread Navyredneck.

How do you like that engine from oregon? I know it may be too soon to tell but was curious. thanks
Old 06-30-2007, 06:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by navyredneck
Brian, do I need a crawler gear to do the Jamboree?
4 LO would help.

Old 07-01-2007, 12:55 PM
Contributing Member

It's amazing how much better my truck looks with the grill installed and the winch back on the bullbar:

I have 125 feet of 1/4", 9,200lb winch rope from rockstomper that I'm planning on installing this next week. I still need to pick up the camper shell as well. Let's hope the winch works as I've never tried it. Also hoping my friend's remote works so I can test it before I order a remote for myself.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Camper shell is on but winch is a no-go

The camper shell is a little ugly but for $25 function will win out anyday

The winch ran for a few minutes and then died. It sounded pretty rough. I'm thinking:
-needs lubricant in gear box. Gonna call Warn to see what they recommend
-One or more solenoids are in bad shape. Could only get one of four to pass the test using a test light.
-Will probably replace all solenoids and install new nuts if Napa has them cheap.
-All electrical connections look rusty so I'll take sandpaper and clean them up.
Old 07-02-2007, 07:29 PM
Contributing Member

(finally got computer to upload the picture)
Old 07-02-2007, 09:16 PM

WOW! What a read! I just spent over an hour reading your build up thread. I have a tired 84 long bed that could really use this kind of work. Still looking for the time I wish I would have found this earlier. As I was reading I kept checking the date to see if it was too late to give you some advice on yourers! But anyways, youre doin great! I'll stick around and keep watchin this beautiful truck!
Old 07-06-2007, 05:17 PM
Contributing Member

Thanks locked stock.

OME shocks came in. N93 for the front and N85 for the rear. Both firm valve. Ordered them and 16 days later they showed up. Not complaining, I'm just glad they showed up in such good condition. Took me an hour to get the old ones off. All 4 had water in them. I'm guessing that's not good...

Took me 3 more hours to get the rust sanded down, primed, and painted. Getting those poly bushings to go between the hangers was a pain as well. Takes more patience than strength but they are finally on. Took it for a drive and it still rides rough but no more of the bump followed by 3 more bumps as the springs keep oscillating. Should have it offroad sometime next week to see how it compares there.

Question: My left rear shock is an inch away from the muffler. Will this damage it? You can see where this burned away the old rubber guard. I felt the shock after 5 minutes of driving and it wasn't hot. Currently I'm planning on heading back to my muffler shop. Bad thing is they turned over leadership so I'm hoping the new manager honors the old manager's promise...
Old 07-08-2007, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Yesterday I found some lock graphite for my locks. They haven't wanted to work at all lately. Found some in Lowes by the key cutting counter right after a sales lady told me that Lowes didn't carry it. I poured it on the key as I shoved the key in. Lock works like new now.

Finally got my rear diff breather in. Tapped the hole with a 1/8 tap per the 4crawler instructions. Cost me under $7.00 in parts. As always, I couldn't resist and did some wirebrushing to the area on the axle to clean it up a bit. Plan on routing the breather to the rear tail-light.

not too clear picture of the axle with old breather removed:

new breather in and new paint:

Finally bleached the mildewed camper shell. You can see it's for an 86+ pickup with the wider bed. It'll work, though Notice how the bed sits higher on the right hand side? I think this is because of the OME shock since they are designed for a 2" lift spring that I'm hoping to avoid buying (and I also like the current height).

Next I need to finish installing the new BL pucks for the bed. Removed one today and I was beat. Need my friend's impact wrench.

Plans for later this month:
1. Finish installing body lift for bed
2. Order Durabak red for interior. Probably going with smooth finish so it won't trap dirt. Goal here is to prevent rust and cover all the bare metal. I also need to finish pulling the old radio and yanking all the unused wiring that's hanging around in my cab.
3. Order winch solenods from NAPA and rebuild the controller.
4. Order a winch controller so I have a means of controlling the winch. I'm hoping to avoid buying a new battery but I'm starting to think that my current battery can't power the winch. A friend with a winch told me that I need an Optima to run the winch properly.
5. Order transfer case short shifter from 4crawler
6. Fab up my rear bumper. Got a welder lined up. I'm hoping to scan a couple of local junkyards to see if I can pick up a piece of 3/8 or 1/4 stock that will do the job.
7. Diff breather for front axle.

If money available (and if not, next month)...
1. Pick up new brake shoes for rear and the springs and stuff that I need to do that job right. Maybe then I'll have a working parking brake.

For September:
1. Order (possibly fabricate as a friend has a tubing bender) sliders
2. Replace my instrument cluster for SR5
3. Install power steering
Old 07-14-2007, 08:31 AM
Contributing Member

I've been trying to get the truck ready for the interior paint job. I finally pulled the bottom pieces of the dash out, removed the radio, and cut all the extra wiring out. See the black mess under the passenger dash? I think that is from my AC condensate dripping on the floor. My friend told me that a drain pipe is probably clogged.

Inside of my cab now:

Next step is to clean out my blower while I'm there, change out my heater blower resistor to get my low fan speed back. I'm debating on whether to go any further with disassembling the dash. Part of me wants to clean it out good and part of me says it ain't broke so don't fix it.

Another shot of the hole where the crap radio was:

Any ideas on what size speakers I can put in the place of the old ones?

Nasty trim pieces I pulled out. Gonna clean them up good. I also wish I had a cigarette lighter to power my cell phone. Any ideas?

All the extra wiring I pulled from the cab. Ridiculous...

I did all that last night. This morning I went to my mechanic friend's shop where that old 87 toyota is sitting and pulled some parts off of it. Got a brake pedal cover, a shift cover, and.... a wrecked rear bumper for free. The mounts look good so I hope to use them for my custom bumper. I thought that 86+ trucks had a wider frame... have to look into that but for now, it looks like the bumper will bolt up. Gonna do that until I can figure out if I need to cut on the brackets to tuck them up against the bed. I'm expecting that I will have to based on my 3" body lift.

Time to revive this link and start on the bumper!
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f88/...r-idea-110331/
Old 07-14-2007, 08:37 AM
Banned

You can pick up a 12V power outlet for your cell phone at Radio Shack for like $8.00 It is a 12V+ wire and a ground- wire with a built in fuselink...easy to install off anything. I just ran mine to the battery and ground it on the frame.

Looking good.

Old 07-14-2007, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

Got the rear bumper on. It definitely hangs down too low. At this point I'm not sure if it will be easier to cut/bend the old mounts or just cut new ones.

Also pulled the blower motor out. Here is why it sounded so bad in the 2 speeds that it would run in. Thanks to 4crawler for the awesome description on his website on pulling the motor and cleaning it.

I've also been getting water in my truck. I think it usually ocurred when it was raining. I think it may have been coming in the hole around the AC condensate line. The line itself was clear but the hole has a huge gap around the hose. I stuck RTV around the hole both inside and out.

Thanks to Wabbit I went to the local Radio Shack and picked up the $8 cig lighter jack for the truck. I had to sand down the socket it goes into using my dremel. 5 minutes of work and it looks good. Also pulling all the old speakers as they are trashed. No money right now for radio and speakers so I'll probably do that later. I really needed that 12v power source for my cellphone charger. I can't stand it when my phone dies and I'm alone 5 miles into the woods in places that I could get stuck.

Here's the hole a PO made to put in a speaker. Planning on using a riveter to put in a piece of sheet metal. I'll eventually put a door panel over it enough to cover it I think. Anyone have an opinion about possible bondo usage here?
Old 07-15-2007, 05:11 AM
Banned

Glad to help anytime!

Old 07-15-2007, 08:11 AM

I enjoy reading up on the progress you are making. The best part about it is you are doing it all yourself. good job and keep the posts coming.
Old 07-21-2007, 11:02 AM
Contributing Member

Finally used the truck for what it's built for...

After a 5 month dry spell of not catching any hogs in my traps, I finally got a 155 lb boar on Friday. Shot him and then drove the truck about 150 yards into the woods to get him out. Following are some slightly graphic shots taken with my cell phone:

dead hog in trap:
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r.../hogintrap.jpg

dead hog by my friend about to go in the pickup :
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...ogatpickup.jpg

I went to 2 different junkyards today and scored a 4 pin heater resistor. I need a 3 pin I think but since the local dealerships want $20 and $35 I'm hoping this will work (as I got it for free).

Dishwashed the blower but it didn't clean it up much. Hope to install that today along with most of the rest of the dash.

Ordered durabak textured today. I think smooth would work better but there's something cool about the textured look. I also ordered 4crawler's transfer case shifter spacer. Need to get it painted fast as I've heard the smell lasts for a month which will interfere with hunting season opening on the 15th of August.

For the rear bumper here is my current plan. I have the stock hangers that I'm gonna cut, bend, and reweld to get a hanger that fits the stock holes and hugs the bottom of the bed. Then I'll cut off the excess and weld on a piece of 3x3" or so steel stock of 1/8" or 1/4" thickness that will also have my shackle hangers on it mounted in line with the frame. Then I will cap the ends and weld some means of a bumper mounting bracket on it and get it painted.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:31 PM
Contributing Member

Installed the free 4 pin resistor which works awesome. I'm also getting so much airflow compared to what I was getting with the clogged up blower. Someone mentioned I should rinse the cooling coils inside the cab but I'll probably wait as I've already installed the blower. I'm really loving the A/C when I jump in truck after being in the woods in long sleeves and pants (to avoid feeding the skeeters). It's actually fairly cool now. It's never gonna freeze me like the R-12 system in my 94 4runner but I'll take what I can easily get.

Thursday I got my first call to move a nuisance alligator (4 feet long so pretty small which is good to learn on). Since I used my truck to load him up and take him to the river here are some pictures:
http://i147.photobucket.com/albums/r...restrained.jpg
http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r...atorsmouth.jpg
http://s147.photobucket.com/albums/r...ackinwater.jpg

Today my Durabak arrived so here's what I've been doing with it:
removed the seats

my son vacuumed out the cab for me

I spent an hour wire brushing the inside of rust, loose paint, and dirt

I used dish detergent to soap it up and scrub the rest of the dirt

I rinsed it with the hose, towel dried it, and started the engine to make sure I didn't short a fuse or something

Then I used Xylene to clean up any oil. The Xylene really made a mess of the sound dampening stuff.

Tomorrow I'm gonna use Xylene once more and then my wife and I are gonna paint it. Here's the extra portions besides the floor that I'm covering with Durabak. Give me feedback if you have it:

FYI I agree with Wabbit that this would be a great waste of time for a trail truck but since I use this as a daily driver I'd like to drive something that I could give someone a ride in without apologizing for the way it looks. Cost so far:
$150 durabak textured, non-black color shipped
$15 Xylene from Lowe's
$3 paint stirrer for my drill

Quick Reply: navyRedneck's 1985 Pickup Build-Up Thread