84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

Hummer96's 1986 Pickup Build Up Thread

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 01:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hummer96's 1986 Pickup Build Up Thread

Hey all,
Long time lurker on the forums and I figured it was about time to make a build thread for my 1986 Toyota Pickup. I owned a 1994 4Runner I picked up for $500 with a blown headgasket (3VZE) a few years ago and enjoyed it a lot. Completely stock but a good truck none the less. Anyway, I'd always wanted an older Toyota Pickup and after graduating from college I decided it was a decent time to do so. After looking for quite some time, I ended up with this '86 Toyota Pickup with a 22R:

Name:  truck_zps7de14719.jpg
Views: 360
Size:  110.7 KB

I found her on Craigslist with already completed SAS setup, supposedly a bunch of engine maintenance, Weber 32/36, etc. It had an externally leaking headgasket that I was going to fix, along with replacing a bunch of other things while I was in there. When I dug into the engine it turned out that all that "maintenance" that had been performed turned out to be BS. So I replaced the headgasket, full timing components, new cam, new rocker arms, new valve stem seals, decked and hot tanked head, etc. I left the bottom end alone which turned out to be a mistake. A few months after I started driving the truck I could hear a light knock developing. I hoped it would last longer than it did but not too long ago the bottom end let go and I now have a serious knock on my hands.

This is where my "build up thread" comes to light. I contemplated rebuilding the 22R with all new internals, new crank, etc. but I just wasn't happy with the 22R's performance...granted the engine probably wasn't too healthy from the start. After weighing my options, I decided on the Mercedes OM617 swap. They make a bit more power, plenty of torque, and are far more fuel efficient than my 22R.

I purchased the adapter kit from 4x4Labs...which should be arriving this Wednesday. A friend and I made a trip to the local pick and pull and snagged an OM617 from a 1985 300D with alternator, starter, turbo, etc. for $300. After getting it home we decided to give it a test run before moving forward with the swap. After a bit of a fight with jumper cables we got the old diesel fired up:

I also have a Marlin Crawler HD clutch on the way. My goal for this coming weekend is to get the motor mounts in made up, clutch installed, and hopefully set the engine in the truck for good.

Stay tuned for updates. Thanks for reading!

-Aaron
Old 04-21-2013, 02:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks awesome. I love the idea of a diesel in these trucks/4runners.
Old 04-21-2013, 02:10 PM

Thanks! I'm looking forward to it. From what I've read about the swap, it's fairly straightforward...although I'm no stranger to engine work/engine swaps. You can just catch a glimpse of my 300ZX in the above picture...I've done all the work with that.
Old 05-03-2013, 07:47 PM

Bit of an update: got the engine mounts made, adapter plate came in, Marlin Crawler HD clutch installed, etc. Just finished getting the diesel dropped in it's new home and fired it up for the first time in truck. Moved it around a little just to test the driveline but didn't run it for long since I haven't installed a radiator yet.

Pictures and more details to come soon.

*Mods can you move this to the diesel section please.

-Aaron
Old 05-05-2013, 07:24 PM

Ok as promised, more pictures and details...two Fridays ago a friend of mine and I got to work on the motor mounts. We suspended the engine with an engine crane, bolted it to the transmission, centered it, etc. and then made our mounts accordingly.

4x4Labs had supplied the plates that bolt up to the engine so I just had to make the rest. I ended up using the stock metal "cups" that go over the rubber mounts and welding plates between them and the engine side. They're not pretty but they turned out strong and the engine sits perfectly in the bay. I don't have any good pictures of this though.

Sadly my clutch didn't show up until this past Tuesday. On Thursday, the engine was pulled out for the final time, mounts painted black, adapter plate bolted to engine, clutch installed, and the engine ready to be installed back in the truck. We finished up and had the diesel installed sometime on Friday evening. We even got the starter bolted up and as shown above started the engine for the first time in truck!!!

After a quick trip to the junkyard on Saturday I returned with the EGR/evap solenoid from a Nissan Pathfinder that I wired up to use as my vacuum shut off. This particular solenoid allows vacuum to flow when no power is applied and cuts vacuum off when 12v is applied. So I was able to wire this up to switched 12v via the old coil wire with little trouble.

Location of solenoid in Pathfinder:
Name:  pathfinderEGR_zps0b3c6d38.png
Views: 794
Size:  555.4 KB

The actual solenoid:
Name:  P1040151_zps3bbe1cd1.jpg
Views: 153
Size:  52.9 KB

Adapter plate and clutch:
Name:  P1040149_zps952a0e99.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  72.0 KB

Sitting pretty in the bay:
Name:  P1040142_zps186485c2.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  73.0 KB

Name:  P1040140_zps4083b52d.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  66.3 KB

Name:  P1040139_zpsb49cb926.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  68.1 KB

Lastly, today I got part of the glow plug system done. I had read a write-up on using a starter solenoid from a small engine to control the glow plugs rather than the stock relay. It was a cheap alternative with easy-to-get parts, simple to wire, etc. that appealed to me. And I'll be integrating an Arduino micro-controller into the system to automate it. The write-up I based my system can be read here:

http://vincewaldon.com/index.php?opt...d=30&Itemid=28

Oil cooler and fittings were ordered today. Still waiting on radiator and fan before really being able to button things up. Getting close though. Stay tuned-

-Aaron

Last edited by Hummer96; 05-05-2013 at 07:30 PM.