Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2008, 02:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a great pic. Sweet rig
Old 12-07-2008, 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by SpecialScottie
How bad is it?
It's not the fastest rig out there, but I don't have any problems. I have learned to be the king of momentum. The only place it really sucks is on steep climbs in 2wd.

Originally Posted by Vermejo
This is a great pic. Sweet rig
Ha ha, thanks! I thought I was going over. Those are when I only had add-a-leafs in the rear. Now I have 4" springs, which I promise to get pictures of soon!

I ran that trail a second time and lowered the air pressure from 12 psi to 8 psi and walked right up that climb. It was awesome to conquer something I had to back off of before.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:09 PM

So the 4" springs will take away that notorious sag??? I have 3" blocks in the back of mine right now, really want to get something new in there....
Old 12-10-2008, 08:23 PM

Do you have any lift up front? Add-a-leafs in the rear were enough to level it out with stock springs up front. But, yeah, the 4" springs brought the rear level with the 3" front.
Old 12-11-2008, 08:44 AM

No my little girl is pretty much stock except for some Thorley headers (a project from an old automotive class). I am just now getting back into getting her back up to speed. Slowly I will get there....
Looks like I know what Santa may be bringing....unless she thinks I have been bad!
Old 12-28-2008, 11:49 AM

Holy Canoli!!!! PICTURES!!!!

These were taken Friday, this is how she sits now.
Old 12-28-2008, 11:55 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
that thing is nice!!!
Old 12-28-2008, 11:58 AM

Good stance. I do like the natural overspray protection on your rockers , the sliders look good. What are you going to do about bumpers?
Old 12-28-2008, 12:12 PM

Good stance. I do like the natural overspray protection on your rockers
That took a lot of planning to get it just right. Good thing the whole truck is Rattle canned, so touch ups are easy.

the sliders look good. What are you going to do about bumpers?
I have a MC rear bumper sitting in my garage, just waiting for a good day to paint and install it. The weather here has been in the 0-30 range for a couple of weeks, and while today is nice, it's my brothers b-day celebration in an hour or so...

For a front bumper, I have no idea. I might go with an Addicted bumper, or a MC front. I don't have front fenders, so I might need to adapt them to look like they fit the front of my rig.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:59 PM

I vote the Addicted bumper with stinger, good price too. With the weather I understand why you Colorado folks value your wheeling seasons so much.
Old 12-28-2008, 01:23 PM

With the weather I understand why you Colorado folks value your wheeling seasons so much.
especially when you don't have heat in your rig...brrrr.

We go snow bashing when we can, I just ride along with someone who has heat
Old 01-26-2009, 11:36 AM

Alright, time for a small update.

I got the rear bumper installed. I pulled the diffs, got them rebuilt with the 5.71 gears and the spool / detroit (rear, front respectively), got them reinstalled and am working on my 500 miles.

To all the nay-sayers: The spool is not bad on the street at all. Most of the time it doesn't even chirp going around corners, just a little scrubbing. I haven't locked in the front yet, since my 4wd wasn't working until this morning. I need to get a part from the junkyard today or tomorrow for a permanent fix.

I also got a gauge pod from here. I got the triple pod. It arrived today, and the first impressions are that it will be very nice. The fit and finish looks great so far. My only complaint was the time it took to get it, or even get an e-mail from the guy. It took almost 3 weeks from start to finish (he informed me that it was being built after a week). For a little while I thought I might have been scammed, but once I contacted him, it was a pleasant experience.

I have some Autometer gauges coming in (hopefully today) and then I will get some pictures and get everything installed. I got volt, trans temp, and oil pressure gauges in the sport comp style. The gauges are pretty self explanatory, but just in case - I got the volt gauge to monitor battery and alternator. A few trips ago, my battery died on the trail. It would have been nice to know there was a charging problem before it died completely. The trans temp gauge is to make sure the auto doesn't overheat. And oil pressure, explains itself.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:38 AM

oh, and plans have changed on the overall direction of the truck. I want it to be good in the rocks, but also on longer camping / expedition style trips. Therefore, I will be getting fenders and a snorkel, heat and fixing all the rust and get a decent MAACO paint job in the factory red. The biggest modification that will take place this summer though, is the Auxilary Tank. It will double my range.

Last edited by Hayes; 01-26-2009 at 11:41 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 04:17 PM

alright, a picture of the gauges and pod. I will be installing these tomorrow, when we get our heat wave...28 DEGREES, WOO HOO!

Old 01-26-2009, 04:18 PM

oh and yes that was taken on my bed.
Old 01-26-2009, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by Hayes
oh and yes that was taken on my bed.
haha can someone please say something dirty about that? I can't find the right words
Old 01-26-2009, 06:26 PM

there is nothing dirty about it, best backdrop for the pics...
Old 02-05-2009, 05:06 PM

oh, and plans have changed on the overall direction of the truck. I want it to be good in the rocks, but also on longer camping / expedition style trips. Therefore, I will be getting fenders and a snorkel, heat and fixing all the rust and get a decent MAACO paint job in the factory red. The biggest modification that will take place this summer though, is the Auxilary Tank. It will double my range.
That's good to hear, having a full on crawler is fun but if you drive to the trail it gets old really fast. Most of the trails in Colorado are better in a dual sport rig, there's nothing like getting caught in a freak summer snow storm on top of Red Cone, in pretty much a buggy .

There are a bunch of area's in the state that I have been wanting to explore, but most of my buddys have full on rock rigs and only trailer them around. I'd be fun to do a little exploring, wheeling and camping this Summer.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:32 PM

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
That's good to hear, having a full on crawler is fun but if you drive to the trail it gets old really fast. Most of the trails in Colorado are better in a dual sport rig, there's nothing like getting caught in a freak summer snow storm on top of Red Cone, in pretty much a buggy .
Ha ha, that sounds like tons of fun .

Originally Posted by DIRTCO
There are a bunch of area's in the state that I have been wanting to explore, but most of my buddys have full on rock rigs and only trailer them around. I'd be fun to do a little exploring, wheeling and camping this Summer.
I'm in, just let me know when you plan on going. My next winter's project is going to be a turbo or supercharger to help with the getting around on the streets.

Heat is my NEXT project though...
Old 02-06-2009, 05:28 PM

Ha ha, that sounds like tons of fun .

I'm in, just let me know when you plan on going. My next winter's project is going to be a turbo or supercharger to help with the getting around on the streets.

Heat is my NEXT project though...
It really wasn't much fun, it has to be in the top 3 of the coldest I've ever been (definitely early hypothermia stages, I was shaking so hard I could hardly see ). It started as rain at the bottom of the trail, so I was soaking wet and as we made our way to the top of the trail the temp dropped below freezing. The wind started blowing so hard that I couldn't keep a tarp over the cab. It really sucked, but now that I look back, it could have been a lot worse and it's kind of funny now but I don't plan on doing it again.

I'll definitely let you know when I plan on going. I don't really have any real plans yet, it's just something that I would like to do.

Are you planning on buying a kit from LCE, or are you going to retro fit something?

Quick Reply: Hayes' 1985 4Runner Build-Up Thread