84-85 Trucks & 4Runners (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

302 small block Ford swap anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 01-01-2013, 09:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
302 small block Ford swap anyone?

New member and can't belive the great support and lesson learned I've seen. Working on a '85 SR5 4x4 extra cab project. I've seen some of the prices for 22RE rebuild kits and performance mods. I wonder if there is much more of an investment swapping a small block Ford into the Toy vs. rebuilding the original motor. I realize the obvious fabrication, exhaust, radiator, etc, room issues. The SBF has the distributor on the front, weighs less than a small block Chevy and is fairly compact. Anyone out there ever tried this swap? Thanks.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:30 AM
Super Moderator
Staff

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Alright another Missouri guy, just on the oppisite end. I am getting ready to start on a 85 extra cab as well soon, but will be staying 22re, just cause I dont have the welding skills and such. The small block Fords are a great little motor in my opinion and there is alot of aftermarket support for them as well. One I would like to have in a truck.

rustED's has done a small block Ford in his. His is the 86 and is in the 86-95 section. He has been busy lately, but has alot of good info on his build and is very helpful. Here is his build.>>> https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f199...thread-250373/ He has a wealth of information and could help remove some of the trial and errors you may come across and is a great fabricator. Welcome to Yotatech and looking forward to your build.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:18 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm currently swapping a 302 into an 85 regular cab. There's no welding or fab work needed if you're wanting to put a 302 in it. You can buy bolt in motor mounts and get a transmission bell housing so you can use the original 5 speed and most anything you need from northwestoffroad.com. Give them a call and they'll give you a lot of information on what you need motor wise.
Old 01-18-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm probably gonna get flamed for this, but I suggest giving Northwest Off-Road a call...

Whether or not they have good customer service, the owner knows his stuff when it comes to domestic engine swaps in Toyotas. Make sure you confirm EXACTLY what you're ordering because they're return policy (or lack of) sucks
Old 01-18-2013, 07:02 PM

I haven't had to return anything so far (knock on wood). I'm gonna be mocking up the motor and transmission in the truck tomorrow so we'll see if I have to return anything then. I'll post some pictures too if that'll help you out. Does anyone know of a belt system that will work with the toyota alternator? I'm not doing a/c or power steering so the belts will only be running the water pump and alternator. Also any fuel delivery system ideas? The toyota fuel pump is mechanical and the ford's is electric I believe. Any info would be great.
Old 01-20-2013, 10:04 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ceveland
I'm currently swapping a 302 into an 85 regular cab. There's no welding or fab work needed if you're wanting to put a 302 in it.
Just wait till you try and fit a radiator and a electric fan in there, lol.

Originally Posted by Ceveland
I haven't had to return anything so far (knock on wood). I'm gonna be mocking up the motor and transmission in the truck tomorrow so we'll see if I have to return anything then. I'll post some pictures too if that'll help you out. Does anyone know of a belt system that will work with the toyota alternator? I'm not doing a/c or power steering so the belts will only be running the water pump and alternator. Also any fuel delivery system ideas? The toyota fuel pump is mechanical and the ford's is electric I believe. Any info would be great.
I beleive NWOR makes an alternator bracket for the 302 to run a toyota alternator, I just looked on their website but couldn't find it...I'm running a yota alternator on mine, but it already had the adjustable bracket on the motor from the PO when I got it. For fuel delivery I'm just running a mechanical fuel pump, but my 302 is carbed... I had to plug off a return line to the fuel tank because my 86' was originally efi...Are you running a carb or fuel injection on yours?

Last edited by rustED; 01-20-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 AM

The 302 was converted from fuel injection to carb. And the truck originally had the 22r in it.
Old 01-21-2013, 08:29 AM

Originally Posted by rustEDyota83
I beleive NWOR makes an alternator bracket for the 302 to run a toyota alternator, I just looked on their website but couldn't find it...
You're partially right, they USED to make it... NWOR has cut back on what they offer by quite a bit in the last 2-3 years and they refuse to sell anything that's "out of production" :/
Old 01-21-2013, 07:32 PM

I called them earlier today and the guy gave me some pretty good advice. I have to use the Ford alternator and splice it into the Toyota wiring harness. I figured out how to do that. Now I have to figure out some kind of cooling system and fuel delivery.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:36 PM

I'm currently running a V6 toyota radiator in mine, but want to upgrade to an aftermarket aluminum one eventually. I'm running two 10" puller style electric fans, and clearance is really tight. I was looking into a short style water pump setup, and found out that Ford discontinued alot of their aftermarket support after going through the government bailout. You can get a short water pump through summit racing, but they suggest using their harmonic balancer and crank and water pump pullies, so I was looking at almost $600 when it was all said and done just to gain an inch and a half of clearance. Also I had to run a remote style oil filter because there was to much interference whith the frame to run the oil filter in the stock configuration...Just thought I'd share a few things that I ran into on my build, hope yours goes well,... you should start a build thread on yours!
Old 01-22-2013, 03:56 PM

I took a look at your thread. A lot of good stuff on there! I think I'm gonna go with the stock water pump with the stock ford radiator. From what I can see, there shouldn't be any oil filter clearance issues.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:26 PM

I cannot for the life of me figure out what to do for an oil pan. I'm trying to leave the ride height stock but it leaves me with about 4.5" of clearance to the front diff from where the oil pan bolts too. Northwest off road says I need a 3 to 4 inch lift and a mustang pan would fit but I really don't want to lift it.
Old 01-28-2013, 02:44 PM

NWOR sells an oil pan to help clear the diff... From the looks of it, there should be WAY more clearance

http://northwestoffroad.com/parts/oilpan-v6-v8.php
Old 01-28-2013, 06:40 PM

I spoke to one of the guys over there and they said it wouldn't work on the '85 pickups, just the '86 and newer ones. I guess I'm going with a 4" lift. I'm not sure which one to get though. I'm looking for something cheap. Any ideas?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:19 PM

Whoops, I was under the impression you hadn't talked to them.. My bad

ProComp has a fairly cheap (well, compared to some) 4 inch lift WITH new rear springs and shocks (no blocks)! Around $740 from Summit (Don't order from 4wheelparts)

http://www.procompusa.com/prodDetail...3533&plID=1808

Some others to consider:
- Superlift 5" (Price N/A Online) http://www.superlift.com/Catalog.asp?P=K738&V=329

- Skyjacker 5" ($612.02 w/blocks) http://skyjacker.com/product.php?ProdID=29833

- Skyjacker 3" ($549.76 w/blocks) http://skyjacker.com/product.php?ProdID=29819

Personally I think the 4 inch Procomp with 33's (or even 35's) would look sick!
Old 01-28-2013, 08:38 PM

No big deal. I was looking at the 4" pro comp lift too! I called a local off road shop to see if they could get me a lift cheaper and the guy hasn't called me back yet. I also called a buddy of mine who owns a huge shop. He said could reshape my old one but it would be expensive and I would have to haul the truck over there. That solidifies my decision of lifting it.

About an hour ago I realized that I have IFS so I dont think that kit will work right? Was that stock in '85? or did someone do a conversion?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 PM

IFS was 86 and newer... the frames are too different in the front for someone to do an IFS conversion, so it'd either be a frame swap or you have an '86

If you have IFS, then the NWOR oil pan will work since it's for IFS rigs!

Any pics of this rig?
Old 01-28-2013, 08:50 PM

That makes sense lol. It was signed over to me as an '85 though... I need to check that out before I get it on the road.

I do have pictures. Give me a minute to upload 'em.
Old 01-28-2013, 09:04 PM

Ok they're up on my profile.
Old 01-30-2013, 11:20 AM

I checked out your profile pics, looking good. How do you like those NWOR headers? Are they ceramic coated? If you don't mind me asking how much did they run you? I'm looking to up grade my factory exhaust manifolds, The driver side one cracked in half and I replaced it, now the passenger side one has cracked in half in the exact same place. I'll probably go ahead and replace it for now but am looking into doing headers down the road...

Have you considered doing a SAS on yours? I don't have any oil pan clearance issues after doing mine

Last edited by rustED; 01-30-2013 at 11:25 AM.

Quick Reply: 302 small block Ford swap anyone?