Pre 84 Trucks (Build-Up Section) Post your build-ups here

bindergirl's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread "The Perkulator"

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2010, 03:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now that the undercarriage has been pressure washed, I started to take a closer look at my suspension. The rear springs are flat

and the front springs are a little negitive. So I did some calling around and a local shop here NW Offroad Specialties offers both a 2" softride and a 3 1/2" kit for the same price. Opinions? Anyone?

Keep in mind this will be a DD travelling aprox 40mi on hiway everyday... as tempting as it is I just personally feel the body is in too nice of shape to turn in to a wheeler.

Im thinking maybe a regear and running 33x12.5
Old 03-01-2010, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by Pumpkinyota
Just curiosity: The VIN plate on the passenger side inner front fender - Does it call for a 20-R motor? And does it also call the truck an '81? I thought they stopped putting 20-R motors in the 4x4's in '80.
It currently underpowered by a 22R -- Im going to try my hand at the 20R/22R hybrid

If your going to do it - why do it half a$$ed
Old 03-01-2010, 03:18 PM

That is the exact kit I bought. I will be posting a thread on this as well

It is not all THAT bad, all of the info is out there, it has just been compiling it that is difficult.

The main issue is that these kits are really built for american built cars and trucks, and so there are a few things left out. For example, what comes with the kit is great if you have a 1 or 3 wire internally regulated alternator, but you need to do a little work to make the Toy's externally regulated alternator fit in. I had to run a new piece of primary wire for the alternator indicator, etc...
Good I cant wait to read your "de-smog" thread and the pain-in-the-a$$ painless thread
I noticed the kits seemed to be built for GM... did you happen to find out what was different in the scout/lancruiser option? It looked like the only toyota option offered
Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by bindergirl
Now that the undercarriage has been pressure washed, I started to take a closer look at my suspension. The rear springs are flat

and the front springs are a little negitive. So I did some calling around and a local shop here NW Offroad Specialties offers both a 2" softride and a 3 1/2" kit for the same price. Opinions? Anyone?

Keep in mind this will be a DD travelling aprox 40mi on hiway everyday... as tempting as it is I just personally feel the body is in too nice of shape to turn in to a wheeler.

Im thinking maybe a regear and running 33x12.5
I'd do the 2" softride, regear it to 4.88s, and run 33 TEN fifties.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:26 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
Looking good!
Try lacquer thinner to remove that hurculiner. Works for me.
Old 03-01-2010, 08:27 PM
Contributing Member

There are somethings that will strip almost anything off but they are not kind to the skin at all... MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) should work but I would'nt want it on my bare skin... you could use an epilady or epipad and sand off the top layer of skin... or use the belt sander in the shop...
I'd just live with it and let it wear off...
Old 03-01-2010, 08:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Great Work! I did the same thing to my interior floor board...I used POR15..great stuff, but it'll stick to you for a while...I'm sure your stuff is similar... I read a lot of good thing about 20r heads in a 22r motor..
Old 03-01-2010, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by aviator
There are somethings that will strip almost anything off but they are not kind to the skin at all... MEK (methyl ethyl ketone) should work but I would'nt want it on my bare skin... you could use an epilady or epipad and sand off the top layer of skin... or use the belt sander in the shop...
I'd just live with it and let it wear off...
I use to use MEK to remove/kill poison oak when my dad was painting. It stung like a biatch, and then went numb and tingled for like 10 minutes. Nothing works better for clearing up poison oak, but I hate to think about what that crap was doing to my liver...
Old 03-01-2010, 09:15 PM

LOL I can't believe how many responses there have been to the stained hand. I appreciate everyones participation but I think I'll just let it wear off.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:20 PM

hahahaha im going to school to be an aircraft mechanic and we use MEK all the time and it seems to be the only thing that gets aircraft sealant off your skin so i bet that would work for herc liner. I would put it on a rag then wipe the stained areas, dont just like pour it on your hands use small amount on your skin.
Old 03-01-2010, 10:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't care about your hand. The Hurc in the truck looks great!

(better?)
Old 03-02-2010, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by Mountain Cop
I don't care about your hand. The Hurc in the truck looks great!

(better?)
much better
and thank you I think it looks much better too
Old 03-02-2010, 06:32 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Beautiful truck. I got an 82 in my shop now in even better shape, wish I could talk the owner out of it.

Moving this to the build up section so more folks can enjoy it.

Old 03-03-2010, 08:53 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by 4Yoter
hahahaha im going to school to be an aircraft mechanic and we use MEK all the time and it seems to be the only thing that gets aircraft sealant off your skin so i bet that would work for herc liner. I would put it on a rag then wipe the stained areas, dont just like pour it on your hands use small amount on your skin.
I'm more worries about how many braincells are being killed from the vapour when the wrenchs are "boiling" parts in MEK in the ultra sonic bath. That right there will get you seriously messed up if you have to be around it for any length of time. It does get the PRC off skin very well does a nice job on grease/motor oil too though personally I prefer the varsol parts washer for that. lol
something else that works well the generic brand green hair shampoos something in it really strips oil based grime... the other ones don't work very well but the green does and is very cheap too... dish soap can work as well since it is designed to remove oil/grease from surfaces if you use the grapefruit type you don't smell as bad as some of those hand cleansers make you do either.
Old 03-03-2010, 11:49 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
I use to use MEK to remove/kill poison oak when my dad was painting. It stung like a biatch, and then went numb and tingled for like 10 minutes. Nothing works better for clearing up poison oak, but I hate to think about what that crap was doing to my liver...
Originally Posted by 4Yoter

you guys might want to read the PPE section of the MSDS:
http://www.jtbaker.com/msds/englishhtml/m4628.htm
Old 03-04-2010, 12:59 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Oh, we wore proper PPE when using the stuff, just not when applying it to poison oak

Of course, I haven't been dumb enough to work with chemicals for some time now, maybe I still have a chance of avoiding cancer... probably not.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:25 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So... how's the truck coming along?
Old 03-04-2010, 08:47 PM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
Ya im not like lathering up in the stuff just using small amounts but what really sucks is when you are working in the baggage pit of a boeing 727 and someone brings shop towels soaking in mek or acetone in there without warning you so all the fumes are basically suffocating you.

Sorry slight side tracked high jack
Old 03-05-2010, 08:58 PM
Contributing Member

Beautiful truck.

Subscribed.

Fink
Old 03-05-2010, 09:32 PM

subscribed! nice truck. looks great with the Herc

Quick Reply: bindergirl's 1981 Pickup Build-Up Thread "The Perkulator"