Cycling Mountain biking, road biking, any type of pedal powered biking

Getting in the mood again for a mountain bike

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
Thanks OR.
That Giant I looked at several years ago I test drove it for about 30 minutes.
Wish I remember the model, as MBR gave it a good review.

Here is my old junk, not a closeup of it, I do not have any scanned.
It served me well when my youngest son in the photo above was a baby, he use to ride on the back of it in a child carrier until he was old enough to get his own.
We carried all three of our bikes on the Yakima QuickJaw mounts, very nice, as you could leave both tires on.

The Seattle police department had Raleigh make them up some white aluminum 18 speed mountain bikes for bike patrol back around '88 or '89, whenever I bought mine.
Raleigh had a lot of leftover components, so they took them and put them on a black frame and called it the Instinct.
Some may remember that bike, it used SunTour components instead os Shimano.
Old 07-21-2009, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OrRunner
Ruckus, i didn't know that iron horse was selling out....lame, like i said i have had mine for about 3 years and no problems, i really like the design and how it fits my body, i will read up on that, thanks for the info,
Corey, if you spending a grand on a bike im sure you will get a very nice one, just make sure to ride it before you buy it and make sure you feel comfortable on it and your good to go!!!
Brief hijack, here, sorry:
sounds like it was being sold off as they headed for bankruptcy; lots of rumors about it- mostly that shady ownership drove it into the ground- inside deals between father & son companies to edge out the competition and also putting wives & such on the payroll when they didn't really work there. Not sure if it counts more as selling out or as karma doing it's thing Truth be told, I was considering Iron Horse and Ibex in my preliminary search, but went for the local purchase so I'd have local support.
Old 07-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Of these four brands, who do you think has the best reputation for a mid priced hardtail.

Giant
Specialized
Kona
Santa Cruz
Old 07-21-2009, 03:38 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
Of these four brands, who do you think has the best reputation for a mid priced hardtail.

Giant
Specialized
Kona
Santa Cruz
I read that as Ford, Chevy, Dodge and Ferrari, heh.

Here's the place mentioned earlier full of user reviews. Watch out, you'll have a Blur (dream machine) before you know it.

http://www.mtbr.com/
Old 07-21-2009, 03:51 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Bob.
The shop I want to go to has good reviews, but it seems the manager is a loser.
http://bikeshops.mtbr.com/cat/united...9_6288crx.aspx
Old 07-21-2009, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of the brands you've listed I'd go with Kona myself. Too bad your dealer doesn't carry Rocky Mountain. I'd look around and see if there are any local Rocky Mountain dealers. Dual suspension has been sorted out for a while now so you can find lots of inexpensive but good dual suspension bikes, but it does add extra weight, maintenance issues, and just more stuff that can break. The simpler the dual suspension the better. Personally I'm still a hardtail guy.
Old 07-21-2009, 04:22 PM

I'd really like to try a Santa Cruz, I've heard great things.

Of the other 3 mentioned, I've got two of them... so I can't provide an unbiased answer
Old 07-21-2009, 05:11 PM
Contributing Member

For someone your age, you may want to stick to this!

Sweet!
Old 07-22-2009, 01:35 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Originally Posted by Toddski
For someone your age, you may want to stick to this!

Sweet!
Yeah right
More like this.

Old 07-22-2009, 03:18 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Kona Hoss, for riders over 200 lb.
http://centercycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?libid=53530

http://www.mtbr.com/cat/bikes/xc-har...0_1527crx.aspx

I did not know Shimano made disc brakes too.
Been seeing Avid, Hayes, and now Shimano.

PS, I realize too that a shop can swap out some components for better ones at the time of sale.
I read those Shimano brakes are not the best, and I am sure I would want a better seat than what comes standard on most.
Also if a bike does not have the quick release lever to adjust the seat post, I would opt to get one too.
I put one on my last bike, much easier than digging out a wrench to adjust the seat height.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

Corey, if you decide to get an indoor trainer be sure to get at least one slick for the rear wheel. Otherwise the knobby will hum and vibrate your teeth out. A pair of slicks mounted on spare wheels make for a versatile mtb/city bike and will save wear on the expensive knobbys, too.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:15 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks Bob, are not the rear tires a bitch to change out though with the chain and derailleur?

Just got back from looking at the Kona Hoss.
Very nice, but stock pedals.
I would run them for awhile until I look at mountain bike shoes that are made for cleats.
I have some mountain bike SPF whatever you call them that are brand new.
I bought the pedals back around 2004 I think for a bike on load to me that I almost bought.
Can not remember the bike, but it may be posted on the forum here long ago.

I am sure the pedals are just fine too, I will get the name of them later and post back here.

The Hoss looked good though, and I will test it Saturday.
He suggested this rack.
http://centercycle.com/itemdetails.cfm?libid=45944
Not sure if it will clear the spare tire, may need an extension from a welding shop.
Will not take the bike until I have a rack setup.

I talked with him for about 15 minutes, and he said for my weight the Hoss was the best choice.
They are hydraulic brakes too, and they have not had any issues with them there.
Old 07-22-2009, 10:47 AM
Contributing Member

Corey, rear wheel swap is easy. The chain and derailleur are held in place by a hangar, simple in and out if you have an extra gear cluster mounted on the spare already. No tools needed.
Old 07-22-2009, 04:51 PM

Corey, are you confused about what bike to buy yet? Seriously now, I find that buying a bike that already has good quality components on it will save you a ton of cash later. I pieced together a Santa Cruz Nomad for nearly $5,000 when I could have just bought one assembled for 3 G's and change. And you know what? I don't like it any better than my Gary Fisher Hi-Fi that was a thousand dollars less. Components are expensive!!!!
Hardtail or F/S, whatever's clever. Just make sure it's got a good fork, good derailers and good brakes. Expect to spend at least $1,500 for a good hardtail, and add $500-800 for a F/S.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:42 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Little confused, so much has changed over the years.
Wanting to stay under the 1.5K mark, as I am not going to be riding hard, and about the only time this bike will make it to the mountains is during camping trips or with others that want to do day trips up where I go during spring through fall.

What do you think of the components on that Kona Hoss?
Remember, I do not need the best of the best.
I am an old man (feeling old, getting back in shape will help me feel younger again) so I will not be bombing down trails or catching big air.

PS, here is a 2008 review, still looking around for other reviews.
Components on the 2009 are different.
http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego.../hoss-08-28421

32 lb for a mountain bike, does that seem to much?
I will be looking over some other bikes too of course when I hit the shop.
Old 07-23-2009, 03:32 AM

I'll only ever ride a hardtail personally. My buddy has a Specialized dual suspension and every time I've ridden it I feel like I don't have as much control. Plus the extra weight it adds. . .

I got a great deal on my bike, and its very lightweight. Its a Performance M101 that I got from Performance Bike Shop in Boulder, CO. Its been my favorite bike over all the new ones I've test ridden and all my buddies bikes. Its getting old and I probably need a bigger bike, but every bike I've looked at with a decent price has literally felt like it weighed twice as much as my M101. Bike weight is a big issue with me though. I'm not sure what, or even if they still offer anything, but I'd check Performance out too. I've only found a handful of reviews but everyone seems to love them who has them.

There's one for sale on Craigslist in the Seattle/Tacoma Eastside section. Here's the link: http://seattle.craigslist.org/est/bik/1274129591.html. Looks like Tacoma is the closest Performance Bike Shop for you

Last edited by nosfanatic2006; 07-23-2009 at 03:44 AM.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:19 AM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I have seen the Performance ones before, I use to get their catalogs.
Spent hundreds of $$$ with them back in the 80s on bike gear.

Kind of wanting to stick with this shop as they have good reviews, plus I work one mile from them which is nice if I need maintenance on it that I can not perform myself.

It seems the majority are against full suspension bikes.
I do not mid having only a front suspension one, as none of my past bikes ever had one on them.

I did fine on hardcore trails on my old mountain bike.
I use to take that up to the ski resorts too and they would take your bike up the lifts, then you could bomb back down the whole hill.
Now that was a blast!
http://www.skicrystal.com/Summer-Act...ily-Activities
They have a lot of cool trails to choose from, and some go by old mining camps.

Another thing I need to ask them if this bike is going to be overkill (strength wise) after I loose weight, gotta think positive here.
My ideal weight is 155 to 165.
Last time I went through a major weight loss from exercise on a Nordic Track Pro and power walking for 20 minutes or so five nights a week, I stabled out at 150 lb with a 31" waist.

Even if I hit 180, I need to find out of this bike is to much.
I will be looking at other Kona's too, and Giant and Specialized when I go there.
Old 07-23-2009, 07:53 AM

About 2 years ago I got back into mtn biking after a few year break.
-Go hardtail for your applications
-As mentioned, go to as many shops as you can and ride as many bikes as you can.
-You will have compromises so decide which is more important to you and be realistic. If you are just starting off you may not need hydraulic discs as this is more of a BFG A/T v. Revo debate, and really you will not even notice the difference to a mechanical disc.
-Make sure you get a good fork that you can lock out so it will accomodate trail and road.
-Get a good rear derailleur and shifters.
Over the years I have had Giant, Trek, Specialized, and Marin
Loved the Giant, but recently bought the Marin Palisades Trail and absolutely love it.
Personally I do not like Kona's as I find them too heavy for my application and they seem to just get worse and worse every year and have that mass produced feel.
Also, ask the shop if they still have any of last years models kicking around as that can cut your costs by a couple bucks.
Old 07-23-2009, 12:34 PM
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Thanks, will be testing a few.
On that Kona I like, they say Shimano 575 disc brakes, but I read on a forum that that is for the UK speced bikes.

Just called the shop, and they say they are using the Shimano SLX discs which are better I think.
http://www.mtbr.com/cat/brakes/disc-...3_1507crx.aspx

http://www.shimano.com/publish/conte...65.-type-.html
Old 07-23-2009, 02:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Corey
32 lb for a mountain bike, does that seem to much?
I will be looking over some other bikes too of course when I hit the shop.
IMO yes. Each additonal pound you're trying to get up to 7,000' will feel like five extra. I just made that up, but it's about what it feels like to me. Plus extra weight makes a bike feel sluggish to accelerate and turn assuming geometry and gears are the same.

I'm no weight weenie gram counter, but at your price point I'd think a hardtail (good choice!) 19" frame would come in around 26-28 lbs. easily.

But, comfort and control are priorities, so whichever makes you more secure and comfy is the way to go. Also, if you're inbetween frame sizes, I'd go smaller and get an extended seatpost.

Of course if you let us spec a bike for you it'll wind costing more than a Yaris!

Quick Reply: Getting in the mood again for a mountain bike