Notices
The Classifieds GraveYard Where old classifieds threads go that are too good to let go

4Runner bikini kits are back

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2005, 11:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone called Besttop to see if one of their new truck tops would work as a make-shift Can-Back? Would at least be a start...might take some enginuity to get a basket on top, but I think it could be done. It'd just need to be removed before the top was collapsed/ slid forward.

Originally Posted by Haston
4xJedi:
as those of us who had been planning on buying a Can_Back are now out of luck since the company is out of business.
Old 03-14-2005, 06:27 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
OK guys,

Pricing and bow directions. Due to the cost increase of some of the materials, the prices went up a little. However you'll find even with the cost of the top, you'll spend less than a Downey kit and end up with a better looking set up. The channel kits are $60.00. These have stainless hardware and allow the FJ bikini to mount to the rear of your cab. The bow's are going to be $20.00. As much as I'm taking away from my own sale, you really can make your own for ALOT less. Part of that price is the 30 minutes it takes to box up a bow kit, major time consumer. These prices do not include shipping so I'll quote you all individually when they're ready to ship. The channels alone cost at least half to ship than the whole kit. You can imagine why.
If you are making your own support bow, this is how.

1.Pick up a stick of 1/2" electrical conduit, (EMT)
2.Run a tape measure down the stick and make a mark with a sharpie at 22" and a second mark at 65".
3.Place stick into conduit bender and line up your 22" mark. You want the 22" mark to be at the center radius of the bend. This means that as you bend the stick you want the 22" mark to be dead center at the top of the conduit bender. You have to start with the mark a little to the right of center because as you pull the stick down to bend the mark will move to the left.
**It sounds WAY more difficult than it is. Remember, you're not setting off the space shuttle so if you don't get it exact, you'll still be OK. These two bends create the width within the bikini. The wider the bow, the more the bikini top will 'push' out from each side. Like I said not an earth-ender if you fudge a bit.
4.After you finish the first bend, slide the stick down to the 65" mark and repeat the first bend only at 65". Make sure the first bend is parallel with the rest of the stick before you make your second bend or the 'legs' of the bow will be off. After both bends are finished, you should have a funny looking 'J'. Flip it upside down and measure the height of the short side. Measure the long side and mark it to match the short side. Cut off the excess with a sawzall, hacksaw, cutoff wheel, whatever you have. Flip it back over and it should be level left to right. Now you have a wide upside down 'U'.
5.This will bolt to the existing rear seatbelt holes in your factory rollbar. For this to happen you need tp flatten and drill the ends of your 'U'.
You can use a press or even a vise. You'll want to flatten the bottom 1 1/4" to 1 1/2". Make sure you flatten them the right direction. The vise will only go so far so you can REALLY finish them off with a 3lb slegde or smaller hammer. Just don't get too crazy and smash up the whole bow.
6.Drill your holes. The attaching bolts are 7/16"x20 @1" in length. I drill my holes at 15/32" but anything larger than the bolt will suffice. After your holes are drilled file away any shavings and paint it hot pink.

I add a self-sealing foam wrap, (pipe insulation), to keep the bow from wearing through the top, that's up to you. They can also be found at Lowes. I cut mine so when installed they're hidden uder the top. Cannot be seen from the sides. Here are some pics.

You get the basic idea.

I don't want to accept payment until I have some ready to ship. The remaining parts should be in Tuesday or Wednesday. When I get then finished I'll come back and start giving totals to those that have already inquired.

I spoke with Greg at Windrock Offroad and he's agreed to offer you guys a dicounted price of $50.00 plus shipping on the FJ-40 bikini from Bestop. That's the best price I've found and thought that was pretty cool for him to do that. When ordering your top from them, either ask for Greg direct or tell them you're with me, (Mike) and it's for a 4Runner. These guys have been great to deal with.
Their contact, WindRock Offroad
Toll free 866-843-8249
Website

Hopefully I should be getting back to you guys in a few days. Thanks again. If you have any other questions I'll be checking back in.

Mike

Last edited by 4xJedi; 03-14-2005 at 06:36 PM.
Old 03-14-2005, 09:59 PM

Hey Mike.. first off.. great write-up.

Second.. do you think that Greg might be able to do a group buy.. basically, the discount (maybe more) if we get a set number of people.. Just a thought.

Let us know when you'll have some ready to ship.
Old 03-15-2005, 04:40 AM

Thanks, did it make sense? Not too hard, right?
He might. It may help to have someone other than myself call him. This way he can see other interested parties. Let him know about other group buys with other vendors. He is a really nice guy to talk to, real easy going.

Mike
Old 03-15-2005, 01:33 PM

Good write up, but just 1 thing...does the 22" & 65" mark start @ 0* on the bender.
To me that's the center of the bend, I just want to be on the same page.

Also, what keeps the bow from falling down once the top starts to flap a little? Just tighten the shiot out of the bolts??

It's been one of those days.....................

Thanks!
Old 03-15-2005, 02:01 PM

What's the deal with a rear shoulder strap on 1st gen seatbelts? Our '89 only has lap belts and I'd like to upgrade to shoulder harnesses. Was that a factory option or something?
Old 03-15-2005, 04:22 PM

is your 89 an SR5? Mine is & it doesn't have 'em either......
Old 03-17-2005, 06:57 PM

I bought the top from wind rock about a month ago. I was going to make the kit myself but i am somewhat retarded. And i ran out of Duck Tape how much to 38655 with the bow. Thank you Semper Fi Chandler
Old 03-17-2005, 06:58 PM

oh yea could you email that to me at recon1marine@yahoo.com
thanks Chandler
Old 03-20-2005, 11:56 AM

I have ten channels finished but I still have to find packaging for complete kits. Let me know who is wanting the channel only and I can get them out quick. I'll try to take care of the channel only people first, then who wants a complete kit. I'm hoping they'll follow in a couple of days.
fnrunner,
I get a pic of of my bender so you can see where I marked it. For around town driving, just tightening the bow bolts will be enough. For freeway use I run a strap from the bow back to the roll bar. It helps to keep it up.

To all,

I did try something new with the straps. When I remove my top for the summer I'll try the bikini on the freeway w/o the strap. My fix tightens them up quite a bit. Coming back from Fall Colors last well, Fall the top didn't even touch the bow. That's me driving 85mph. The air just kinda pushed the top up off the bow a bit. Here's a bit from my install instructions,

"If you are using the Bestop FJ40 bikini there is a simple mod for the top to fit better. I ran around for two summers before doing it so it’s not mandatory but you will have a tighter top in the long run. They are vinyl and will stretch from the sun and wind.
Since the bikini was designed for the Landcruiser and not the 4Runner the straps are a little too long. Even with the footman loops placed at the very rear of the bedsides, you will soon lose the ability to tighten the straps. The fix is simple. You can do it yourself or have your wife/girlfriend/mom/anyone who can sew handle this task. All you need to do is shorten the straps. This will bring the adjustment buckle up and further away from the footman loops which will allow you to tighten the straps more to your liking. Just pull the strap back up to the point where it meets the top and fold it over itself. It should still look flat only with three layers of strap at the top two inches. Make sure each side is equal and run a basic ‘X’ stitch through all three layers. The amount you pull up is up to you, the above example should shorten it four inches, which is more than enough and not be noticeable at the top of the strap. If this is unclear to you install the bikini as is and pull the straps tight. You’ll see what I mean and know what has to be done. It’s very simple and worth doing for future adjustments."
Old 03-21-2005, 03:44 PM

I'm interested in one also. Shipping to 27948 please.

Also, what's up with this?

4xJedi:

I'd like to order a full kit (w/ bow). You may get more interest in your product this time around, as those of us who had been planning on buying a Can_Back are now out of luck since the company is out of business. Anyway, my zip is 20817. I'll check back on this thread for updates.

H.
Bethesda, MD
95 4R
87 4R
Did Canback go out of business for real? I hadn't realized that!

~S
Old 03-21-2005, 04:10 PM

Amocat00,
Are you looking for just the channel or complete kit?
Old 03-21-2005, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by 4xJedi
Amocat00,
Are you looking for just the channel or complete kit?
Oh, shoot. Sorry, it depends on the price difference and if, cost effectively, I can make it myself.

Can I have both prices and then I'll let you know?

Thanks,

~Shawn
Old 03-21-2005, 05:03 PM

PM sent.
Old 03-28-2005, 10:56 AM
MWS

Don't know if I missed something

Still looking for shipping to 60050. Email=austin@mellowmoodz.com

Thanks.
Old 03-28-2005, 11:18 AM

emailed you MWS.
Old 03-31-2005, 06:41 AM

hey man.... we got any going to 38655 the weather has been soooo awsome out here lately. let me know thanks recon1marine@yahoo.com
Old 03-31-2005, 07:48 AM

I have four complete kits and two channels ready to go Two more complete kits as soon as more boxes come in. For those of you that I've contacted, let me know before they go on ebay.

usmarinerecon,
Pm'd you a total.
Old 03-31-2005, 07:55 AM

I'd like a full kit, posted to 20817.

H.
Old 03-31-2005, 08:01 AM
Contributing Member

Complete set shipped to 76051
thanks (bow/channel)
thanks