Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Yokohama Geolander M/T +

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2005, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kyle_22r
i thought with radials, you were supposed to rotate front to back, not cross?

(checking manual )
Old 05-01-2005, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
i thought with radials, you were supposed to rotate front to back, not cross?

Originally Posted by DealMaker
(checking manual )
Kyle is correct. Perhaps I should've changed my screenname to Dumby.
Old 05-01-2005, 06:55 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by calamaridog
Never saw the Yoko MT's until Friday. Was checking out the local trail conditions in the Land Cruiser and ran into a very nice Heep. He was running the new Yoko MT's and they were slinging mud, sand, etc. with gusto. He said he likes them much better than the BFG MT's and Procrap MT's he has used in the last three years.

I say go for it but buy them from a local dealer so you can take advantage of the 30 day guarantee.
Thanks for passing along that info. I'm going to get a price locally tomorrow.

Originally Posted by sschaefer3
My 2 ply Yoko's have been through the hammers and all over Moab and Arizona.

I have yet to loose one. Don't really think the 2 ply/3 ply argument is valid.

The only tire I have lost on the trail was a Goodyear MT/R.
That's pretty damn impressive from a tire that isn't over-priced and hyped.

I've done MT/R's also and will never waste money on a Goodyear product again.
Old 05-02-2005, 05:34 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by jimabena74
you cannot put a 5000 pound truck, run @ 26 psi at excessive freeway speeds that american's drive at for extended periods of time and not expect a blow out.....
You don't have to expect a blowout using any other tire on those fords. Regardless... I have seen chevys on the side of the road with firestone blowouts as well. It even happend to one of our work trucks while towing a 25' goose neck and caused him to jack-knife. These tires were properly rated, but they just sucked! Also, the plant they closed was due to faulty consruction of tires, actually produced better tires then two other even larger plants proven in indipendent studies. The reason Firestone closed the one plant was to tkae attention away from the other two larger facilities that if they had to close, it would have put them under. They dodged the whole deal by trying to put blame on a certain shady vehicle and by directing the public eye towards just a fraction of the problem. I will never allow that company to recieve another on eof my dollars again. They do not care about your life!
Old 05-02-2005, 08:38 AM
Contributing Member

Here is some more info I just found...
It helps to spell GeolandAr correctly when doing a search. I was spelling it GeolandEr

http://www.yokohamatire.com/pdf/geoMTplus.pdf
Old 05-02-2005, 11:41 AM

as far as directional tires goes...I run some x-terrains on my p/u and I would say the Yoko MT+ have a similiar tread design as the x-terrains. In my experience, I have found that the directional tread design of the x-terrain has been more beneficial in drier conditions, as they do not shed mud that great..but they work great on hill climbs, rocks...and anything ive throw at them here in AZ minus mud.
Just make sure you get a non-directional spare tire...
Old 01-01-2011, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had three sets so I thought it was time to post up some feedback. I have the Yokohama Geolandar MT+ 305/70R16 (33sx12). Here's the pros and cons from what I've experienced.

Cons: They have a 17/32 tread depth, others such as the MTRs, Destination MTs, KM2s have a 19/32 tread depth when they are new.
- They are directional, You can only rotate front to back, there's no cross rotating.
- If you need to replace a tire your spare might not be the correct direction. I don't really see this as a legitimate problem but it comes up in conversation so I'll address it. The directional pattern is to clear standing water. I've reversed up sand, snow, slickrock, mud, etc. just to double check performance and the directional pattern didn't make any perceptible difference. If you find your self in deep rutted roads, have to drive fast in deep standing water, and you can't drive at a safe speed when you have the spare on backwards then yes, it could be a problem. Silly I know, but the topic comes up frequently when people ask me about the tires.
- They are not the cheapest. The last set I got was $932 for four. That's taxes, mounting, balancing, yada yada yada.
- They seem to wear on the faster side, I estimate about 30,000 miles for a set of 4 tires. I believe this to be a real number for my rig. However, my rig is heavy with all the armor, recovery gear, and tools. I wouldn't be surprised if I added a 1000lbs of extra weight because of that. I estimate about 5,000 - 10,000 miles less than other quality tires. The reason I say estimate is because I haven't let them wear down all the way before replacing them. I'd also like to clarify that I measure totally worn out when the tires have 2/32" of tread left on them, I consider that bald.

Pros
- They have a softer compound with a higher silicone content which makes them stick well and last longer.
- They are among the quietest of the MTs that I've heard.
- They clear water very well. I keep waiting for an opportunity to be able to get my rig to start hydroplaning. I can haul butt on the highways with heavy rains.
- They handle well on packed and powder snow.
- The manufacturing tolerances are good. I never had a problem getting them to balance. (Making them stay in balance because of wheel rotation while rock crawling on aired down tires is a whole 'nother story but that's not tire specific)

I love the way they look and that they are made in Japan. This is probably one of the weakest reasons to get them but it's a significant factor in my choice of them. Not saying it's a good reason for everyone just a reason for me.

They do perform very well but I wouldn't say they perform noticeably better than a KM2, Destination MT, the old MTRs. I do think they are quite a bit stickier than the BFG MTs. I don't know how well they perform as they wear down past half the tread depth because I replace them before they get that low.

I just haven't found anything that I like better. If I had found something that I liked the look of, it performed better, for the same or less price, I'd get them. For now these are the best I know of given my fairly liberal budgeting and higher than healthy vanity standards.

Last edited by glenyoshida; 01-01-2011 at 08:53 PM.