Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

wrangler duratrac

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2011, 09:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So it's January now and it's snowed a bunch in the last 2 months that I've gotten these tires.

These tires kick ass in the winter conditions. I can drive in 2wd with plenty of traction when I'd be in 4wd with the BFG A/T's before (unless it gets crazy, then hello 4wd). I've had a couple minor spinouts, but very controllable and definitely avoidable. In 4wd these tires hook up like a dream. And at 40 psi, too. I used to air down during storm cycles with the BFG's, to ~20, but these don't need it. It's almost hard to encourage a 2wd slide (for fun purposes), and forget about it in 4wd. Braking-slide is also drastically reduced.

The normal sketch driving condition with the roads plowed to the ice layer is still kinda scary (anything w/o studs will be), but it's mitigated vs. the BFG's. I've mobbed down the neighborhood streets & main roads w/2 feet of heavy Sierra fresh on the road--they'll mash through easily in 4wd.

For anybody on the fence about these tires, I totally vouch for em. Keep in mind they're not for heavy duty wheelin cuz of the 2-ply build, but for all else they're bomber.

Just wanted to throw this out there
Old 01-03-2011, 05:20 AM

i totally agree with the snow traction these tires have

they do awesome in the snow
Old 01-24-2011, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by Ertified4Runner
MPGs have been unaffected. From Reno, where I got em installed, to South Lake Tahoe, where I live, I noticed 18.6 mpg...normal.
Lots of mixed reviews on MPG change. Talking to a guy today, he saw a signifigant drop after a new set of Duratracs (on his 96 taco). I'd like to go from 265 AT's to 285 Duratracs but I can't afford 4-5 mpg less than what I'm getting already.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by okie81
Lots of mixed reviews on MPG change. Talking to a guy today, he saw a signifigant drop after a new set of Duratracs (on his 96 taco). I'd like to go from 265 AT's to 285 Duratracs but I can't afford 4-5 mpg less than what I'm getting already.
I'd be interested to know if the guys citing big mpg drops are running the c or e load rating tires? I believe you can get both in the 265/75/16 sizing.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:59 PM

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
if you're increasing diameter of tire, then yes you will most likely impact the MPGs just due to increased weight of the larger tire, especially if you're also changing from a less aggressive tire to these. Probably won't be a 4-5 mpg decrease, but more like a 2-3 mpg decrease i'd guess. If you're sticking with the same size tire and just going more aggressive, maybe a 1-2 mpg decrease.

Personally on my Land Cruiser, I went from a 265/16 Michelin Cross Terrain SUV @ 37lbs each, to a 285/16 GY DuraTrac @ 58lbs each -- that's a 2" diameter and 21lb increase at each wheel! I have had them for over 10k miles and have noticed a loss of 1-2 mpgs from this tire change. BUT now I can go places that I couldn't have gone before...and I haven't really seen anyone else with them, unlike those with BFG ATs.

I would guess that those who report a severe loss of MPGs probably have the C-rated tires because they're softer and will allow more rolling resistance and/ore they are not properly inflated, or they increased tire size. I know that from reading all the bad reviews of the DTs that a lot of these guys have the C-rated tires instead of the E-rated.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by highonpottery
if you're increasing diameter of tire, then yes you will most likely impact the MPGs just due to increased weight of the larger tire, especially if you're also changing from a less aggressive tire to these. Probably won't be a 4-5 mpg decrease, but more like a 2-3 mpg decrease i'd guess. If you're sticking with the same size tire and just going more aggressive, maybe a 1-2 mpg decrease.

Personally on my Land Cruiser, I went from a 265/16 Michelin Cross Terrain SUV @ 37lbs each, to a 285/16 GY DuraTrac @ 58lbs each -- that's a 2" diameter and 21lb increase at each wheel! I have had them for over 10k miles and have noticed a loss of 1-2 mpgs from this tire change. BUT now I can go places that I couldn't have gone before...and I haven't really seen anyone else with them, unlike those with BFG ATs.

I would guess that those who report a severe loss of MPGs probably have the C-rated tires because they're softer and will allow more rolling resistance and/ore they are not properly inflated, or they increased tire size. I know that from reading all the bad reviews of the DTs that a lot of these guys have the C-rated tires instead of the E-rated.
I hear what you're saying about rolling resistance, but with properly inflated that shouldn't be a problem. I would think the extra weight of the e-load rated tires would make a bigger impact. Also, if you're running an oversized tire, you need to take that into consideration when calculating your fuel economy as your odometer reading will be lower than what you've travelled.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:36 PM

Looks like a 265/75/16 BFG AT weighs in at 54 lbs so adding 4 lbs and approx 1 inch shouldn't inflict too much damage right? (That's what she said)
Old 01-24-2011, 01:58 PM

^well a 265/16 DuraTrac weighs the same as the BFG, so i'd think you wouldn't see any difference. if you go up a size to the 285s you might see some slight decrease when doing lots of in-town driving, but on the hwy there's a chance you might actually get an increase in MPGs because of the larger diameter giving lower RPMs at the same speed.
Old 01-25-2011, 11:00 AM

I have a set of GY AT's that I bought from Discount tire. I have always like GY tires and this is really helpful since I will be in the market soon. I have a slight concern with how the agressive tread wears on bushings and tie rod ends any thoughts?
Old 01-25-2011, 02:17 PM

Originally Posted by dave_mcmillan
I have a set of GY AT's that I bought from Discount tire. I have always like GY tires and this is really helpful since I will be in the market soon. I have a slight concern with how the agressive tread wears on bushings and tie rod ends any thoughts?
It's not as much the tires, but what you DO with the tires that's tough on those components.
Old 01-25-2011, 04:02 PM

WELL I was at Good Year today ordered a set of the DURATRAC'S . i got them in 33x1250x15. should have em on tomorrow. i know they will be alot quieter , i am riding on swamper ltb's now. apparently the guy who orders tires from PEN-DOT started using these on their smaller trucks and said that they are the best tires they have used in the snow.
Old 01-26-2011, 06:48 AM

^well a 265/16 DuraTrac weighs the same as the BFG, so i'd think you wouldn't see any difference. if you go up a size to the 285s you might see some slight decrease when doing lots of in-town driving, but on the hwy there's a chance you might actually get an increase in MPGs because of the larger diameter giving lower RPMs at the same speed.
Tirerack states the c-load 265/75/16 weighs 45lbs, the e-load weighs 54lbs, I would think you'd feel that for acceleration, braking, ride quality, handling, and fuel economy. I'm trying to figure out which load rating I should be looking at, but very few people seem to include this info with thier impressions of the tire. I have a feeling it plays a big role in how happy people are with the tire. Seems like a D-rating might be perfect, but it's not offered.
Old 01-26-2011, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by crawyota
WELL I was at Good Year today ordered a set of the DURATRAC'S . i got them in 33x1250x15. should have em on tomorrow. i know they will be alot quieter , i am riding on swamper ltb's now. apparently the guy who orders tires from PEN-DOT started using these on their smaller trucks and said that they are the best tires they have used in the snow.
A few CALTRANS and PG&E trucks run them around here too. A lot of the negative reviews though come from people running them on heavy duty trucks (F-350s, 1 tons, etc) and the chief complaint is the sidewall stiffness.

Originally Posted by IanB
Tirerack states the c-load 265/75/16 weighs 45lbs, the e-load weighs 54lbs, I would think you'd feel that for acceleration, braking, ride quality, handling, and fuel economy. I'm trying to figure out which load rating I should be looking at, but very few people seem to include this info with thier impressions of the tire. I have a feeling it plays a big role in how happy people are with the tire. Seems like a D-rating might be perfect, but it's not offered.
Ian, This thread has good info for choosing a duratrac load range for 3rd gens
Old 01-26-2011, 09:42 AM

JUST got back from Good Year , tires are on , i'll post pics when i get home from work
Old 01-26-2011, 12:34 PM

A few pics.

JUST got back from Good Year , tires are on , i'll post pics when i get home from work
well here are a few pics of the new shoes

Old 01-26-2011, 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by okie81
Ian, This thread has good info for choosing a duratrac load range for 3rd gens
Thanks for the link, I posted in that thread, maybe I can get some info!

^^Those new shoes look mint!^^
Old 01-26-2011, 01:50 PM

Originally Posted by IanB
Thanks for the link, I posted in that thread, maybe I can get some info!
In theory, a D range 3 ply Duratrac would be perfect. But Unless you've got a large vehicle or heavy duty application, the C range sounds like the best choice, especially for our 4runners.
Old 01-26-2011, 01:53 PM

I like this picture, new tires look great
Old 02-01-2011, 11:34 AM

tread wear

For anyone wondering what the treadwear is on these tires, I went to GY last weekend to get a rotation (3rd time) and re-balance of our DuraTrac's after running them for 15k miles. The E-rated 285/75/16s are at 16.5/32nds on a 6k lb Land Cruiser 100 with even tread wear. I run them at 40psi. Here I was thinking these were only going to last 25-30k since they're such a soft, experimental rubber compound. Looks like they'll be on there longer! One of the techs was glad to hear my feedback since they hardly sell any of this tire in my area and he just put some on his rig last week.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:29 PM

does anybody know how these are in deep sand ? they look too aggressive and might dig in , i do some beach wheeling in the summer . its between this tire or the bfg a/t .

Quick Reply: wrangler duratrac