Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

weld in bead protectors? or no?

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 12:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
weld in bead protectors? or no?

Hey guys....I'm thinking about getting some weld in bead protectors for some steelies I picked up for next to nothing, but my dilemma is that its for a daily driver. The big question is when these are welded in can they be balanced enough for highway driving and am I going to get pulled over for having them on. I know that there are a lot of issue with the beadlocks will there be with these also. would I be better off just having these for offroad use only. Also any advise on some good LONGLASTING flat black paint for wheels.....thanks guys
Old 03-08-2010, 10:36 PM

Rustoleum/Tremclad same company. I always do my wheels and other things in that, it's also an anti-rust paint so it'll give it a bit more protection. Use the "satin" black instead of the flat, it still looks flat but it seems to take a lot longer to fade and looks a lot nicer and cleans up better.
Old 03-19-2010, 08:56 AM

I guess there really isn't a lot of interest in this, maybe a link will help to give a better idea of what I'm talking about....here it is.......http://www.davezoffroadperformance.c...le.php?id=1447
Old 03-19-2010, 09:00 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
i think there was a write up on this in the newest edition of 4wd toyota owners magazine. I myself, have not read it, but a buddy of mine was just telling me about this. I dont know about balancing the wheel, but i assume that its the same as any other bead lock and i see many people run those on dd/off road rigs around here. The only concern i would have is the weld bead your putting on would prob need to be pretty darn close to balanced, or just have them balance after you put them on. Good luck and let us know what you decide to do
Old 03-19-2010, 09:01 AM
Banned

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Wouldn't put them on a dd and I'd do beadlocks anyway if I did.

Depends on how strict your local Leo is up there. I drive mine on beadlocks around town all the time.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:03 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Your question about legality:

No, they are not the same as bead locks. The issue with bead locks is that the outter ring is bolt on. The law has to do with split rim wheels, which bolt together. Old vehicles used to have these. The issue is that sometimes the bolts would fail, or just not be checked, and then you have a tire blow out, and a potential projectile moving through the air.

Bead locks are considered split rim under that particular law, which may be silly, but its still the case.

So, your weld on rim protectors will be fine.

As far as ballancing goes: depends entirely on your install. If you can weld REALLY well, and have excellent, consistent welds, they'll ballance pretty well, assuming the protectors you buy are cut well. However, if you put too much weld in some areas, and not enough in others, or just generally have issues, then no, they won't ballance well.

Do it right, and you'll be fine.

Bead locks often have issues because they have a welded inner ring, which must be welded with the same caution as your rim protectors would be, and then the bolt on outter ring, which must have very evenly torqued bolts, and everything must be lined up perfectly.

However, I agree with Wabbit. If you are going to weld anything to a wheel, just do bead locks. Most of the time LEO's won't notice, given the number of fakelocks around. But rim protectors are kinda pointless. Only dinged a rim once, and even then, i was able to hammer it back into place and get a good seal on the tire again.

Last edited by AxleIke; 03-19-2010 at 09:07 AM.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:06 AM

not really sure on how well it will balance after that. you might be able to get them to balance. i think that i would find a spare set of rims to try it on just incase they dont balance you wont lose your only set of rims. havent really seen any of these put on. i would do it but not on my dd rims.
Old 03-19-2010, 09:30 AM

Well I do know that the cops around here will give me flack for that "they are pretty strict and will gig you on anything they can" + I'm military and they are even worse on any post that I'm on. That is why I want to make sure there isn't any legal BS to deal with.
Old 03-19-2010, 10:12 AM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
To be sure, check your local laws. If they specify bolt on wheels, or split rim, or anything, then you will be fine.

If they just list modified wheels, then I don't know.
Old 04-12-2010, 08:48 PM

Found some DOT bead locks @

http://www.high-impact.net/wheels/index.htm
Old 04-12-2010, 09:30 PM

A commercial class vehicle in the state of AZ will not pass inspection if the wheels have any welds on them... What's the worst that could happen? Catastrophic wheel failure at 65 mph?