Super swamper thornbirds?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 04:24 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
"pretty tire" hahaha that explains it all
Old 10-17-2008, 11:03 AM

Received 118 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Matt16
I think they look like a child toy car tires, made by children.

Apparently they have the mud performance of all terrains, the street performance of a mud terrain, and the winter traction of ice skates.
BWAHAHAHAHA...

it IS a really pretty tire.. lol.. but there would major siping needed to actually make them perform...
Old 10-17-2008, 01:03 PM
tc
Contributing Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by space-junk
but there would major siping needed to actually make them perform...
You know, with all the tread in the middle, I bet you could cut quite a pattern in them ... wonder if anyone ever has?
Old 10-17-2008, 01:10 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by space-junk
BWAHAHAHAHA...

it IS a really pretty tire.. lol.. but there would major siping needed to actually make them perform...
Seriously, this tire looks like it shouldn't be allowed in the adult lane on the highway.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
They're street tires with deep treads and knobby sidewalls. Great for crawling up curbs, but that's about it.
Old 10-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Old 10-17-2008, 03:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i do have to say one of my friends has these and they work ok for him but he cut out a bunch of lugs in the center and widened the grooves between lugs.

they still dont match my TSL's but he got his free so we made them work!

wouldn't buy them though!
Old 10-18-2008, 07:43 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Originally Posted by tc
Seriously? Any proof of this?
Nope, I was full of poo poo when I made that one up...it has got to be something like that though for them to market that tire as long as they have. Seems like I see a ton of new ones on craigslist that people buy and realize what a bad tire they are. Interco has an awesome product line, I guess every company deserves to have one turd in the bunch...
Old 10-06-2009, 06:06 PM

hmmmm. just bought a set. should ve read about them first. oh well at least they were almost free. ha they re supposed to be on in the morning. guess we ll see
Old 10-06-2009, 07:44 PM

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...rnbird_TSL.htm

pretty much sums it up. I actually really like the reviews they give on this site. I've owned several different tires they review on this site, and every single one of them I've owned is right on the money. Kumho AT, the Kumho MT (old style), BFT All terrain TA-KO (right down to crappy mud performance), Interco TSL, and some others... all I've owned were dead nuts accurate. I'd imagine the same for the thornbirds... seen them... heard them (over my TSL's even) and seen them off road. I woulnd't buy 'em.

I'd really recommend that site for anyone considering new tires for their rig. Good information on there.
Old 12-07-2010, 12:51 AM

Location: i live in fort myers florida my hole life....hints the name floridacracker
i love the thornbierds i run a set of 33'' on my 1990 toyota 4runner 4x4 i love thim off road in the mudd ive never gotin stuck win using thim an yull fling mudd every wear.... now however on the road they are a lil loud but i like that...... if you roll up the windo its not loud but they will thro u around on the road a lil they like to grip the yello an white lines... but as for me i like thim..
Old 12-12-2010, 04:19 AM

It's all in the name. Thorn: a thorn in your side. Bird: an annoying creature of the sky that wakes you up at ungodly hours of the morning to announce that it is indeed a poo.....bird. Oh yea, it's also the word

Last edited by Tofer; 12-12-2010 at 04:02 PM.
Old 12-12-2010, 05:39 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
The only reason that Interco (they make great tires like Super Swamper's and Iroks) still carries them is that they were designed by the President of Interco's Wife. It is in their Prenuptial agreement that she got to design a 'Pretty Tire' and they would market the tire as long as their marriage lasted.
Wow...up until now, I've never even seen this tire. Because of all the posts about it, I had to google it. Again...WOW....if his wife designed this tire I only have one question, what the hell kind of drugs was she on? I have to agree with everyone on this, that has to be the most ugliest piece of rubber I have ever seen!
Old 12-12-2010, 05:57 AM

I would not even consider them, I hated them on my 4-runner, got them for free when I bought a vehicle with them on it, there heavy, loud and road walk bad, their ok at best in mud due to side cleats, I heard they were like a concept tire when interco came out with them, but I would definitely steer clear of those tires. You wont be happy, although some might think just the opposite.
Old 12-12-2010, 06:20 AM

Must be a jeep thing. AAAAAhahahahaha
Old 12-12-2010, 07:31 AM

Received 120 Likes on 59 Posts
Say no to the turdbirds!!

Old 12-12-2010, 11:53 AM

I have them on my 94 right now cause I bought them with them on it.. I have to say the only good thing is how they look. They don't preform well at all. I'm looking to switching to the KM2's or the original super swampers.
Old 12-12-2010, 12:01 PM

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
This has got to be one of the best threads ever,lol
Old 12-12-2010, 12:08 PM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
Exclamation

The only reason that Interco (they make great tires like Super Swamper's and Iroks) still carries them is that they were designed by the President of Interco's Wife. It is in their Prenuptial agreement that she got to design a 'Pretty Tire' and they would market the tire as long as their marriage lasted.
Originally Posted by tc
Seriously? Any proof of this?
Nope, I was full of poo poo when I made that one up...it has got to be something like that though for them to market that tire as long as they have. Seems like I see a ton of new ones on craigslist that people buy and realize what a bad tire they are. Interco has an awesome product line, I guess every company deserves to have one turd in the bunch...
Originally Posted by michael1963
Wow...up until now, I've never even seen this tire. Because of all the posts about it, I had to google it. Again...WOW....if his wife designed this tire I only have one question, what the hell kind of drugs was she on? I have to agree with everyone on this, that has to be the most ugliest piece of rubber I have ever seen!
michael--see post above..I had not seen this thread in too years and it brought back some funnies..I pulled that one out of a dark smelly place

In truth this tire is probably pretty good in some environments, just none that I can think off. I do see a lot of newer, 3000 mile adds for Thornbirds on craigslist a lot.

also-moving this thread to the correct section...
Old 12-12-2010, 01:25 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, my brother in law has these on his 81 toyota in 33's. I drove it through the crusher's at browns camp and they seemed to do just fine, he also has a bunch of the lugs cut out though. I heard a story from a guy that had them that he got stuck in the grass and couldn't move until they dug down and the side lugs hooked in.

Quick Reply: Super swamper thornbirds?