Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Super Swamper LTB Tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2006, 08:42 PM
Contributing Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Super Swamper LTB Tires?

So Im looking at these LTB tires that come in 34/10.5/16. I like them because they are cheap... $125.00 per tire, and the tread pattern looks gnarly.

Anyone have experience with these tires? Do they last at all on road? Are they worth the money? I know a lot of people running TSL's, but, never seen many people running the LTB's.

Any info would be appreciated, and what do you all think about running tires that truely measure 34" x 10.70" on my truck?
Old 03-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I looked at them too, I put them up beside my 295's and they look small. They only measure 32".
Old 03-22-2006, 08:52 PM
Contributing Member

Wha!!

The product specs said they measured 34"... Darn.

Yeah, I am really looking at tires right now... I'm not sure if I want to go to 35's and loose my power till I regear (wayyy down the line).

Im thinking about doing 305's for the time being.. i donno.

I got some worn down peice of ÅÅÅÅ 315/75 MT/R's that wont last me for more than 6 months, donno if I want to waste my money and mounting them to my rims.
Old 03-23-2006, 02:41 AM
Contributing Member

sc, i've been looking into tires also. The ltbs are a awesome offroad tire, but there just a bias tire, not a radial. There only gonna last 10-15k on the road.....if that. I just put in a allpro spool, so I'm looking for a cheap m/t too.... I run kumhos on my nissan, and love them, but i'm not wanting to put a lot of money in tires on my trail rig, that will only get driven to the off road park. So from the research i've been doing, the mudkings seem to be the cheapest radial m/t on the market. I've never ran a set myself, had a good friend that did, and they seemed to perform ok.
Old 03-23-2006, 03:49 AM
Contributing Member

dont buy these tires!

a friend of mine put some on his jeep. now he does drive hard, and does wheel a lot, but, he went through them in 3 months, no joke. they are ridiculously loud on the road, and overall, in my opinion, a crappy all around tire. they do perform well off road, but its not well enough to warrant the crappy life they have.

if youre looking for a cheap m/t, look into firestone destination m/t, or maxxis buckshots (i run the buckshots, great tire).
Old 03-23-2006, 05:55 AM

From interco's site "The Super Swamper LTBs are in the same basic Three Stage Lug design as the famous Super Swamper TSL's but a little more aggressive. The large lug is offset more to the outside which gives the tire superb traction. It is in bias ply construction which allows for the more aggressive lugs and very strong sidewalls to better resist the rigors of hard off-roading. The bias construction reduces the chances of sidewall splitting when run off road at low air pressure."

Now if you think that you need a tire that will handle pretty extreme conditions offroad then this might be your tire. But if you spend a resonable amount of time on road then you should be looking into something else.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:56 AM

Oh, and if you are really set on interco tires then have a look at there blems that go for cheap, blems
Old 03-23-2006, 06:21 AM
Contributing Member

check out the 315 Cooper Discoverer STT.
I found them locally for $167 each....
Old 03-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I had a feeling they would suck on-road. This is my DD so it would be stupid to put them on. I think I was a little tipsy last night.

Anyways, yeah, I am looking for a cheap MT tire. I have seen those Maxxis buckshots for dirt cheap on Ebay. I thought they were horrendous, but, you think they are okay? I might give that a second thought.

I like those Cooper Discoverers alot, but, I can't seem to find them online in 305 or 315?

I am also looking at the Yokohama's. Either MT or AT. Both I really like, and I have heard really good things about them.

The firestone MT's look sic too, but, I can't find any places that sell them...
Old 03-23-2006, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

I've been running my LTBs now for almost a year, though only 7k miles, and they have held up just fine. Very little wear, less then I expected. Hell the writing on the tops of the tread blocks laster probably 2k miles. I expect these to easily last me 20k on my locked DD.
Off road they do pretty well, I guess I was expecting magic being they're a swamper and I've never had any swamper before but they do work very well, especially in mud and for climbing/descending hills that are muddy. Due to the soft compuound I've found they work pretty well on rocks too. After grooving they work a bit better, expecially in snow and over logs, rocks etc as the tread can flex more (they're a very stiff tire). They clean pretty easily in thick mud and in thinner stuff they just don't plug up to begin with. They also seem to be pretty strong, I've got a few good sized cuts in my sidewalls from rocks etc. and though Discount won't replace em yet they still hold up just fine, one of em is about 1/4" deep. The treads do get a bit cut up in rocks though so look out, but thats how it is with any soft compound tire.
They're quiter then I expected, quieter then reg TSLs and I grooved mine which cut down on the noise a little bit. At 20 psi mine measured 34.5" off the truck and with full weight just under 34" (when new).
They are a soft compound bias ply tire though so if you park your rig over night and it gets cold expect to have flat spots and a pretty bumpy ride for the first few miles the next morning. I find that they have alot more grip on road then I think they do, its just a different experience driving with them. Especially in a very softly suspended truck, i.e mine, corners become a thing to slow down for and plan ahead. They really aren't that bad for a DD (although only rated to 80something MPH, not a big deal to me) a little loud: but thats what a stereo is for, a little squirly: but you get used to the quirks quickly, and a little bumpy: after some driving it smoothes out a bit.
I paid right around $100 a tire for mine (Discount price matched) then I added road hazard, lifetime mount and balance etc. and it came to like $550ish. I think they were well worth it.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:44 AM
Contributing Member

im running the buckshots.....all i can say is, imo great tire.
Old 03-23-2006, 08:19 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by northfacer581
dont buy these tires!

a friend of mine put some on his jeep. now he does drive hard, and does wheel a lot, but, he went through them in 3 months, no joke. they are ridiculously loud on the road, and overall, in my opinion, a crappy all around tire. they do perform well off road, but its not well enough to warrant the crappy life they have.

if youre looking for a cheap m/t, look into firestone destination m/t, or maxxis buckshots (i run the buckshots, great tire).
must be heavy, my '79 has 31x11.5R15 LTBs on it and they've gone about 6000 miles. still at about 85-90% tread all around, i wouldn't say that's too bad at $95 each.

on the road they're not too bad, a little on the squirrelly side due to the soft compound and large voids. on wet pavement mine are kind of scary, but i'd imagine it'd be better if they were siped.

Last edited by kyle_22r; 03-23-2006 at 08:21 PM.