Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Nitto Terra Grapplers

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2007, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nitto Terra Grapplers

Are Nitto Terra Grappler ATs still considered a good all around tire? I've tried searching the forums, but haven't come up with anything. I know a year or so ago, they were considered a better option than the BFGs. But I was wondering if all of those people who bought them a year or so ago, would chime in on whether they are worth it, or should I pay the extra $165/set for the BFGs? I am running the BFG ATs now, with 75k miles on them. I need to replace them before I buy a house, which should be very soon, as it seems.

Thanks, and I hope that this probably commonly-asked question doesn't upset the Yotatech Powers-that-be.
I appreciate all responses.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:28 PM
Contributing Member

I had BFG at's once. So did my brother. I now have Nitto TG's and like them a lot more.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:34 PM
Contributing Member

I have em and they are pretty good on road tires, look at my sig and you'll see them with the LC rims I have.
Old 05-26-2007, 09:28 PM
hud

My first post on YT, been lurking for a while though.

I've had both the BFG All Terrains and the Nitto Terra Grapplers. Offroad - dirt, mud, rocks, it's probably a tossup. Where I noticed a huge difference was while driving on winter roads. The Terra Grapplers seem to really hook up on the ice, compared to my BFGs. On the flip side, the Nittos have a thinner sidewall (even comparing a D range Nitto to a C range BFG). I got about 45k out of the BFGs, before I sold the rig they were on, and they still had about 10k of useable tread left. I've only had the Nittos for 5000 miles, so it's too early to tell if they'll hold up like the BFGs. I got my nittos half price from my brother who is an American Racing district manager, so that's why I switched. For a tire that must perform on the highway, but offroads on the weekends, both are good choices. If the Nittos are cheaper, try them out, I don't think you'll be dissappointed.
Old 05-26-2007, 10:12 PM
Contributing Member

About 2 years and 20k on mine and I am very happy with them. Great grip in the dry and much better wet/snow weather control than the several sets of BFGs I've driven on.

BFGs have a slight edge in sidewall protection but I've yet to have issues with my Nittos and they handle rock rash quite well. I saved about $200 out the door and have a better day to day tire going with Nittos instead of BFGs.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:22 AM

Thanks for the replys. My co-worker and I are going back and forth on this. He has a GMC Sierra with the same size tires and we are both trying to decide on which tires to get. I think he will end up with BFGs, mainly because he knows the name and they have white letters. He also probably has a little bit more money to throw at it. Me, on the other hand, could use the savings by switching over to the Nittos.

The only problem that i have is that when i put the BFGs on my truck, I convinced my GF (who drives the truck every day) that the truck would look great with white letters. Now she likes them and seems to be hesitant to give them up. The way I look at it, it's one less thing i need to clean. It's a pain in the rear to get the white letters to look new again.

She's a paramedic and needs to get to work, no matter the driving conditions- that's why she has a 4Runner and I drive a Buick. From what I've read, the Nittos will perform as well, if not better than the BFGs in the few times it snows here in Delaware. I really like the BFGs, and if they were like $25 cheaper a tire, we probably wouldn't be having this conversation. When I bought the last set, they were $132/tire, and I thought that was expensive. Now, I think the cheapest I have found them locally is $159 or so. The Nittos I would be able to get for $117/each. Big difference.

Thanks for the continued advice. I don't post much because i usually don't have much to add, and most of my questions are answered without me posting. This is one of the better forums that I belong to. I appreciate it.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:59 AM
Contributing Member

first things first, your girlfriend is not your truck, say it with me haha. if this was the case, my rocker panels would be pink and badged with the gayest stickers known to man.

i've only had my bfg at's for two days now but i love them. someone said something about too harsh on road, this isn't the case. however, i've heard lots of good things about the nittos as well. i was in the same predicament as you last week. eventually it came down to me just forking out the extra money. if money is your number one priority, than of course go with the nittos, but if the limit can be expanded a bit i would go with the bfg's.

just my .02
Old 05-27-2007, 07:31 AM

Ha, thats funny. For the most part, she goes with whatever I suggest. When the factory muffler rotted away, she got a magnaflow. I decided I wanted an FIPK on the Runner, and it got it. It took a little convincing, but she finally came around on the LineX'd bumpers, and now she loves it. You know and I know that if the woman isn't happy, the man isn't either. And she ain't too girly either. Talked her out of some fairly girly things for the truck, but that wasn't really too hard. I ain't gonna lie- I make alot of suggestions, but she usually makes the final decision. Unless i get the oh-so-popular "do what you want, i don't care" answer. She doesn't realize that I spend most of my free time looking for stuff on the internet for the truck and my car.

The reason why I'm shopping for less expensive tires is that we have to pay for them this time. The last set of BFGs were paid for when we (or I) sold her first car. Took the $400 we made from that, and put that towards the tires. And her 'rents paid for the rest. Already asked them about the 2nd set, and it's a no-go. We're living on our own, and should be able to buy our own tires.

Plus, the Nittos get great reviews, especially around here. If i can save $165 on a set of tires, then I'm thinking thats the way to go. Only one way to really find out... I'll keep you posted. Not sure when it's going to happen. At least I found a local place that will sell them to me, at a discount. I work at a GM dealer, so I'm always looking for the discount that's associated with it.

The truck doesn't go too far off road, an occasional curb or on gravel roads, etc. The term I've heard here that best describes it is "Mall Crawler". But it has to do well in the snow and rain.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:45 AM
Contributing Member

i'm doing the credit option from discount tire co. over 500 bucks 6 months no interest, 1000 or more is 12 months no interest
Old 05-29-2007, 03:03 PM

Nittos are good tire's... it really depends on what your using them for.. i think overall toughness the bfg at ko's are probably better but the nitto is a far better snow tire. im not a fan of the bfg... it doesn't clear out very well. i would also look into the Yokahama AT/s good tire (i work for discount tire)
Old 05-30-2007, 05:15 AM
Contributing Member

BFGs really don't have water evacuation channels which you can see by looking at the tread pattern. Both the Nittos and Geolandars have pretty effective ones.
Old 05-30-2007, 06:45 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
save your money and get the Nittos

best price I could get here was $121 for the LT265/75/16 size in a D load range --$10 more for the E load range.

Be advised the tire in this size may slightly rub at full lock turns and I have removed my front factory mudflaps to reduce the amount of surface area that touches the tire in a turn and under front compression. I have heard from others that they experience no rubbing whatsoever. Good solid tire and has significantly improved the road feel in my opinion. I was running the factory stock P265/70/16 previously.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by FastOlds
The truck doesn't go too far off road, an occasional curb or on gravel roads, etc. The term I've heard here that best describes it is "Mall Crawler". But it has to do well in the snow and rain.
If the 4Runner will not be going off-road much, personally, I'd opt for the Michelin LTX A/T's (or M/S's). A friend of mine has them on his 4Runner and it lasted 90k miles! (and by the time he got new tires, the ones with 90k miles on them still had a bit more tread left to go). And he wheels locally, Moab, etc. I'd say about 80% of the miles were on-road and the rest off.

Long-term cost wise, the Michelins will work out for the better. Go read the reviews on tirerack.com Plenty of people with over 75k+ miles on those tires. I'm thinking of getting a set myself, then once my 4Runner gets more off-road friendly (lift, sliders, etc.), getting a second set of dedicated off-road wheels/tires.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:20 AM

FWIW, I was really happy with mine.

Here's a thread I started:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f177/went-nitto-terra-grapplers-pics-inside-93116/

My apologies if you've already seen this.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:34 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by FastOlds
Are Nitto Terra Grappler ATs still considered a good all around tire? I've tried searching the forums, but haven't come up with anything. I know a year or so ago, they were considered a better option than the BFGs. But I was wondering if all of those people who bought them a year or so ago, would chime in on whether they are worth it, or should I pay the extra $165/set for the BFGs? I am running the BFG ATs now, with 75k miles on them. I need to replace them before I buy a house, which should be very soon, as it seems.

Thanks, and I hope that this probably commonly-asked question doesn't upset the Yotatech Powers-that-be.
I appreciate all responses.

I'm in the same situation...well sort of. I drive a lot of freeway miles, but do a fair amount of off roading too. I plan to get a new set of tires by the end of summer. I'm looking at the BFGs, Nittos and Yokos. I'm leaning towards the Nittos though...have heard good reviews on them.

Originally Posted by p nut
If the 4Runner will not be going off-road much, personally, I'd opt for the Michelin LTX A/T's (or M/S's). A friend of mine has them on his 4Runner and it lasted 90k miles! (and by the time he got new tires, the ones with 90k miles on them still had a bit more tread left to go). And he wheels locally, Moab, etc. I'd say about 80% of the miles were on-road and the rest off.

Long-term cost wise, the Michelins will work out for the better. Go read the reviews on tirerack.com Plenty of people with over 75k+ miles on those tires. I'm thinking of getting a set myself, then once my 4Runner gets more off-road friendly (lift, sliders, etc.), getting a second set of dedicated off-road wheels/tires.
I can vouch for that. I purchased a '95 4Runner some years back and when I bought it, it had 40k on the OD and the previous owner just had a brand new set of Michelin LTX A/T's installed on it. I sold that 4Runner 3yrs later with 100k miles on the OD and 60K miles on the same tires. I could have gotten another 25k miles out of those tires easily had I kept that truck.

Don't be fooled, those tires are crazy expensive though. Almost $200 a tire, but def worth it.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by Rock Slide
Don't be fooled, those tires are crazy expensive though. Almost $200 a tire, but def worth it.
Yeah, definately not paying $200/tire. Costco sometimes has $100 off/set on Michelins, so that'd be a good time to buy them. Only issue might be Costco's strict policy on installing upsized tires.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:06 AM

I was stuck between the Nittos and Toyos and my buddy got me a really good deal on the Toyos that I could not get on the Nittos. I would have prefered the Nittos but $22 bucks per tire difference was too much...
Old 05-30-2007, 10:35 AM

gpcollen1 - Did you get the Open Country A/T's? I've heard real good things about them. A guy around here that builds rock crawlers swears by these tires (not for rock crawling, but light off-roading).
Old 06-03-2007, 03:15 PM

Im in the same situation, Nitto or BFG. I was set on Nittos and found them for $125 a piece, but they only had 4 in stock and sold them. Im looking for a 33x12.50x15 which was discontinued, so I'd say it'll be hard to find many more of them.
Then yesterday I stopped at a new tire place, saying he had the best prices in town...quoted me $108 mounted/balanced for 33x12.50 BFGs....dont know if I can pass that up
Old 06-04-2007, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

Nittos still solidly outperform BFGs on road in day to day situations;off road it's a tossup.

I went with the tire that suited daily driving and safety better since realistically I spend 90% of my time there.

Quick Reply: Nitto Terra Grapplers