Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Search

Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels
Sponsored by:
Click Here

Welcome to Yotatech!
Welcome to Yotatech,

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, so please join our community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 04-24-2003, 01:39 PM   #1 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Personal Sales Rating: (0)

Les Schwab off-road tires any good?

So, any opinion on Les Schwab tires in general, is it worth saving a few bucks with them instead of getting MTR's?
This ad is not displayed to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Yotatech!
'98 4Runner: SAW/OME lift, TJM bumper, Warn M8000 winch, Hayden tranny cooler, Trail Carnage front and belly skid plates, PIAA fogs, Rock lights, 33" MT's on Tech1 Rockcrawler rims, Lars sway bar discos, Sonoran bumpstops and rear bumper, RB 1" body lift, Daystar front bumpstops
'73 FJ40: 327 SBC, York, Dual Batteries, custom tire carrier, Corbeau Baja SS bucket seats, Bestop top.
TLCA#14428

Mad Chemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 01:50 PM   #2 (permalink)
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

I have their TXRs on my rig, and I like them a lot.
I never hydroplane in them, or slip around corners in the rain, but that may be from a lack of power

I have two sets of these.
One for winter, one for spring through fall.

Great tires.
They are noisy, and I do mean noisy, but I like it.
They can drown out my Magnaflow after you hit 40 MPH or so.

They also wear like iron, expect to get 50 to 60K out of a set if you treat them right.

I have only had one flat since '99 on my first set (the ones I am still using for winter use) and that was from a spike in the Boeing parking lot I ran over.
FJ Cruiser BuildupNew Roof Top TentVideo Of My Penthouse Part IIRehinge Your ARB/Engel Fridge
Blog About Roof Top TentsFJC Magazines Online Review Of My TentMy Camping Gear Review Blog
"Hey Corey, where is my thread?"
Missing your thread, then click
here

http://yotatech.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=3&dateline=1270301800
Corey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 01:58 PM   #3 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

I thought I had seen you mention something about them before on another thread. At the moment, I have bridgestone deuler revos AT, which I like alot, but they aren't quite aggressive enough for off-roading, so, I was thinking about getting a set of steel 16X8 rims with a set of mud tires. I saw an ad for ~140 a tire, including mounting and road hazard, which sounded pretty good to me.
'98 4Runner: SAW/OME lift, TJM bumper, Warn M8000 winch, Hayden tranny cooler, Trail Carnage front and belly skid plates, PIAA fogs, Rock lights, 33" MT's on Tech1 Rockcrawler rims, Lars sway bar discos, Sonoran bumpstops and rear bumper, RB 1" body lift, Daystar front bumpstops
'73 FJ40: 327 SBC, York, Dual Batteries, custom tire carrier, Corbeau Baja SS bucket seats, Bestop top.
TLCA#14428

Old 04-24-2003, 02:09 PM   #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Salue
I had the Wildcats from them(Mud Terrains) on my turborunner and I think that they worked very well off road. They are a lot cheaper than the name brands. Plus, they do offer an awesome warranty. But, there's something about the MTR's that is drawing me to buying them when I get some new rubbers.

Salue
'91 4runner...Sold
'94 4runner...Sold
Salue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 02:12 PM   #5 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Doublepump
I would go with Les Schwab just for their service. It's great and getting the tires rotated is a breeze. Not sure if I would want their brand on my Runner. I have their brand on my Civic because it is just a commuter. However, I had the oem tires on it when I went to them and they said they could get them, just takes a little time. So, you could ask if they can get a brand you want. Even if it were a higher price I would go through them for the service.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:13 PM   #6 (permalink)
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

They have a meatier tire than the TXRs, and I think Smr4runner may have a set for sale in the classifieds still.
http://www.yotatech.com/showthread.php?threadid=2967

Whoooops, they are sold
Good deal for them too.

I think Rob ran a set of the meatier ones also.
They might be the RVT Traction tire.

They are a lot beefier than the TXRs I have.
I think someone said the tractions ones are actually quieter than mine.

Rob's got the 35" BFGs now, but I think he did have the LS RVT Traction ones when he ran 33s.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:16 PM   #7 (permalink)
Co-Founder/Administrator
Staff

Oh yeah, if you can get another brand though them as mentioned above, they have free rotation and flat repair for life.
Old 04-24-2003, 02:56 PM   #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Salue
MC Dave,
if you remember on Jim's(Jruz) Tacoma, I think he has Wildcat's on his. You should ask him what he thinks about them.

Salue
'91 4runner...Sold
'94 4runner...Sold
Salue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 03:01 PM   #9 (permalink)
Contributing Member

Send a message via AIM to airrikk17 Send a message via MSN to airrikk17 Send a message via Yahoo to airrikk17
i absolutly love my les schweb tires , the service is awesome and i have had no problems wit hte wear or puntures with mine , i am currently using the txr's and they are a lot more quiet then the wild cat tractions were that i had on my 4 funner.
the traction of my txr's are still great even with the quitier ride.
in my opion id go with the schweb tires if not for any other reason then the service.

airrikk17
airrikk17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2003, 03:44 PM   #10 (permalink)
Contributing Member
Threadstarter [OP]

Since I already have a new set of AT tires, the next set will have to be a pretty agressive tread pattern- no use getting another AT tire. The wild country traction look pretty tough. Overall, it sounds like their worth going to just for their service reputation. Thanks for the input guys!
TLCA#14428

Old 04-24-2003, 03:44 PM
Yotatech
4WD Truck

Paid Advertisement

Tags
37, 4runner, at, good, les, leschwab, offroad, ore, road, schwab, tire, tires, txr, wildcat, yotatech