Tires & Wheels Anything about tires and wheels

Got some new wheels, Now tires

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2009, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got some new wheels, Now tires

Long story short, buddy of mine hooked me up with two sets of takeoff wheels off a Taco (5 spoke) and an FJ (6 spoke) and Im not sure which to throw on the truck. Now the Runner needed some tires to begin with, so here is where I come to you all. Im leaning more towards using the 6 spokers on the truck due to the symmetry of the design, but I need some tires. General rule (as far as I have been going off of) since the factory size is 225/75 I should be running a 245/65 right? but Im lost as to weither to go All season, or all terrain. The truck will see a lot of time on very soft roads going back and forth to a horse farm, but even when I used to take my POS Saturn wagon up there I never had problems getting stuck, even during the spring thaw or the snow.

So, someone wanna help a n00b?

Last edited by Snow Runner; 08-21-2009 at 07:33 PM.
Old 08-22-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That all depends on just how much off-road your truck will see, versus how much on-road. An all season tire is great for a street driven daily driver. They're quiet, last forever and ride smooth as butter, but will leave you stranded pretty quick in the wet stuff. An all terrain really excels in the dirt while keeping great on-road manners and most will do just fine until you hit deeper, stickier mud. Tighter treads pack with mud quickly and become almost impossible to clean out. Thats not to say they're a poor choice, they're just not a mud tire. I personally prefer a mud tire simply because they excel so well in all situations, albeit giving up a degree of street comfort to a similar degree of off-road capability. You didnt say whether you wheel the runner or not so tire choice really depends on what you want. Street, dirt or mud, but to me sounds like an all terrain would suit your needs best.